Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I bought this ignition switch see picture
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brcacti
does this look like the correct 914 ignition switch? I noticed some are selling just the plug to fit into the metal???
brcacti
forgot to add picture, here it is
theer
Nope - not for a 914-4 anyway.. maybe for the -6??

It does look a lot like my '64 VW Karmann Ghia ignition switch, though.

jcd914
That is not a 914 ignition switch.

You could probably make it power the ignition and start the car but it won't fit the steering column or unlock the steering.

Jim

Sprout
Doesn't look right to me, but someone else might weigh in. My ignition key tumbler was just replaced with a 944-style one, and also replaced the ignition switch with a Porsche brand one, and they work beautifully. I will not buy the Meistersatz or any brand other than Porsche ignition switch again.
bretth
That looks almost exactly like the one that went in my 66 Beetle. Nothing to do with a 914.
brcacti
THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH, got it from Sierra madre says on the paperwork and box porsche 914 70-76 but I called and they will take it back. So are you all saying I need to get a genuine porsche from the dealer ignition switch when I need one?
lierofox
QUOTE(bretth @ Sep 18 2019, 03:52 PM) *

That looks almost exactly like the one that went in my 66 Beetle. Nothing to do with a 914.

Think you hit the nail on the head with that one.

https://www.jbugs.com/product/111905803D.html Looks like brcacti has one of these.

Can't find a single 914 ignition switch/lock cylinder that looks like that one at all.

The last ignition switch I bought was from Pelican for my 1975
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/1719...171-905-865-INT

Are you needing to replace the switch, or is it the lock cylinder that's bad on yours, brcacti?
brcacti
thank you
bandjoey
If your metal body is there you can buy just the white electrical part. Thats all that quits on the switch.
http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-914-Ign...witch-srch.html
porschetub
QUOTE(brcacti @ Sep 19 2019, 11:56 AM) *

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH, got it from Sierra madre says on the paperwork and box porsche 914 70-76 but I called and they will take it back. So are you all saying I need to get a genuine porsche from the dealer ignition switch when I need one?

SMC cock up heaps of orders,never dealing again,appears they don't really know what they are selling...don't be surprised.
Plastic piece that suits early Audi,VW and 944 Porsche also $8 on Pelican parts,mine still works after 3yrs,good luck.
Mark Henry
I can say with 100% certainty it's a -67 beetle switch.
Also it's aftermarket as it's key is the shape of later VW keys, early factory keys had the VW bubble head.
IIRC they only cost around $10.

A 914 switch is just the switch, it doesn't include the lock tumbler and keys.
brcacti
thanks for that
dr914@autoatlanta.com
there are BASICALLY three different ignition lock and key tumbler combinations, 70-early 71 late 71 and 72-76

If you have a 72-76 you can use the 924 assembly, if you have the 70-early 71 you can use the 70-71 beetle assembly. Both original 914 assemblies have been discontinued. What we usually do however is restore the original to match the original key
brcacti
Thanks to you all
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.