Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SHIFT LINKAGE!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ballsyfacts914
I had to remove my shifting linkage, side shifter on a 1975, and now trying to reinstall the rod from the cockpit into the coupler.

I can't do it, should I grind the end of the rod a little to make the end fit into the coupler? Call a friend?

Thanks
Krieger
Try disconnecting the linkage at the shifter. This will make some room. Take a sharpie and mark it before disassembly.
Mikey914
Disconnect at the firewall. Do call a friend as its easy to have him pull while you can see whats going on. If its any consolation you have the easier of the 2 types. Also while you are there replace all the bushings. It will also help you to find the gears correctly when you reinstall and need to get it dialed in.
mepstein
Or unbolt the 3 bolts that bolt the shifter base to give you some slack.
Mikey914
If you do have burrs you could use a little sand paper, shouldn't have to grind.
ballsyfacts914
The shifter is disconnected
IronHillRestorations
I used a needle nose vice grips on the shank of the tunnel shift rod to keep it from pushing into the tunnel.

You just posted that you were having trouble with the cone screw, so you may have to pull both shift rods out of the tunnel and see if anything is wonky. Sometimes you've got to get a part on the bench to make sure it's not got a problem.
Krieger
What bushing are you using on the transmission housing? You could try removing it from the trans and sliding it onto the shift rod, then slide shift rod through the trans housing and then put bushing into the transmission housing.
Olympic 914
There is an access plate in the cockpit on top of the tunnel near the firewall you can grab the shift rod there with a set of vice grips to hold it in place.

This also works to keep the rod steady when making shifter adjustment.
rhodyguy
Lock the rear bar in place with 2 vise grips. One on both sides where the rod passes thru the engine support bar.
ballsyfacts914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 19 2019, 09:16 AM) *

Lock the rear bar in place with 2 vise grips. One on both sides where the rod passes thru the engine support bar.

Then what?

Cheers
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(ballsyfacts914 @ Sep 19 2019, 10:53 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 19 2019, 09:16 AM) *

Then what?

Cheers

Then have someone in the cockpit push forward on the shift lever while you line up the rod and coupler underneath the car. idea.gif
rhodyguy
Exactly. Push the shift lever forward to what would be second gear, the front rod will extend further to the rear. You can also use a vise grip to lock the front rod in place at the lower firewall. Slip the coupler on, line up the dimple with the threaded hole in the coupler, insert new set screw. You may find it easier to unfasten the coupling piece at the rear to connect the front and rear rod. You're going to want to replace the rear ball cup bushing when reconnecting the rear rod at the trans. Replace the bushing where the rear rod passes thru the support. #16 P.78 Fig.5.3.
ballsyfacts914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 20 2019, 09:36 AM) *

Exactly. Push the shift lever forward to what would be second gear, the front rod will extend further to the rear. You can also use a vise grip to lock the front rod in place at the lower firewall. Slip the coupler on, line up the dimple with the threaded hole in the coupler, insert new set screw. You may find it easier to unfasten the coupling piece at the rear to connect the front and rear rod. You're going to want to replace the rear ball cup bushing when reconnecting the rear rod at the trans. Replace the bushing where the rear rod passes thru the support. #16 P.78 Fig.5.3.

Yeah, I got all of that, as I said, the shifting linkage is out of the car, the issue is getting the shift rod from the cockpit back into the coupler on the shifting linkaage after the firewall.

Thank you for all the advice.
IronHillRestorations
If the rear shift rod (the one with the boot flange, and all the bends) has gotten bent, it can cause misalignment when trying to connect to the coupling at the firewall. Sometimes rotating them in opposite directions while you try and couple them will help.
You said you have a new or good used coupler, so we can (for the most part) rule that out. Check the front rod for burrs or hickies that would keep it from going in the coupler. It's a tight fit, but if everything lines up it should go.
If the front rod isn't connected to anything and it's resting on the floor of the tunnel then it might not line up, because it's not parallel to the floor pan.

Pictures would help us, help you
ballsyfacts914
The shift rod from the cockpit just needed a little sanding, went right in!

Thanks again, I am sure I will have more questions piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.