Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
haclaridge
Just got my first 914. It’s not in the best shape but not too terrible. I haven’t opened the engine compartment yet due to frozen locks. Just wanted to share and see what you guys think. Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=712
840]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
rjames
You bought it without being able to look inside the engine compartment?
Did you pull the side rocker covers off either to inspect the frame?

Looks like the car was stored outside, and in the PNW that means rain which = rust.
The car could be a gem or a parts car. Can’t tell from the pictures. Hopefully the former. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Get the rocker covers off and the engine lid open and post some more pictures.

Oh, and...
welcome.png
iwanta914-6
Good luck with this one! Hopefully you didn't part with too much cash on the purchase and saved some to put back into her.
jrblackbox
Have seen a lot worse, great color tho!
iwanta914-6
Can't be Willow Green BTW. Forest Green, Palma Green, something like that maybe?
Jett
looks Palma Green.. we have two smile.gif

btw. our Delphi car started out looking like yours and with a lot of time, friends, and $, it will be amazing.
Jamie
QUOTE(Jett @ Sep 19 2019, 07:24 AM) *

btw. our Delphi car started out looking like yours and with a lot of time, friends, and $, it will be amazing.

Yea, Delphi rocks! aktion035.gif
Jett
QUOTE(Jamie @ Sep 19 2019, 08:27 AM) *

QUOTE(Jett @ Sep 19 2019, 07:24 AM) *

Yea, Delphi rocks! aktion035.gif

You have a great looking car smile.gif!
BK911
Looks like LOTS of hours of *fun*!
Might be a diamond in the rough.

Here's willow green:

Click to view attachment
Rand
The sag is apparent in the first pic. I hope this thread is a joke or hoax.
sad.gif
orthobiz
I vote Forest Green (formerly Zambesi Green). The little bumperettes I thought indicated VA or CA delivery.

Paul
johnhora
haclaridge...

Welcome to the 914 insanity...

She's rough but there is always potential.
Looks like possibly it was last licensed for the road in 1994.
So quite a few years of sitting...from the looks possibly outside.

What you have to decide is whether it's worth fixing or is it just plenty of good parts for the next one.
The only way to do that is to get it somewhere that you can start taking a look at those areas that make any 914 a terminal case.
If the body is sound then any other part can be bolted on...

The very first area is the "hell hole"...that spot under the battery and going all the way down to the passenger side jack post. This will give you a good start to the assessment of the body integrity.

Don't be discouraged ... get in there and start looking around.

Post pics along the way on your discovery....this is a good knowledgeable group that is always willing to give advice and help.

Good luck and welcome!

sixnotfour
94 was a long time ago,,,hoping for the best..........here is the one I found in WA. 2005 with 1990 reg.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=airport
TargaToy
QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 19 2019, 12:14 PM) *

The sag is apparent in the first pic. I hope this thread is a joke or hoax.
sad.gif

I was scrolling to the bottom to post almost the exact thing about this having to be a hoax...and you beat me to it.

I bought a green 75 which touched the earth in 5 places with the doors open. But I was OK with that because I bought the whole car to get the side shifter and core motor.
haclaridge
I got the car from a neighbor for free and am hoping to be able to get it running and not have to part it out. I got some new wheels for it too. Click to view attachment
Mikey914
Forest. I have a Palma
Forest has brighter yellow undertones
914werke
Was this the one on CL for LONG time?
JOEPROPER
welcome.png
Fire up the leaf blower and get it cleaned up.
TargaToy
QUOTE(haclaridge @ Sep 19 2019, 03:38 PM) *

I got the car from a neighbor for free and am hoping to be able to get it running and not have to part it out. I got some new wheels for it too.

Rivieras aren't my favorite wheel but I really prefer them to the + steelies. Congrats on the free car and much success to you. Keep posting pics of your progress!!
johnhora
QUOTE(haclaridge @ Sep 19 2019, 12:38 PM) *

I got the car from a neighbor for free and am hoping to be able to get it running and not have to part it out. I got some new wheels for it too. Click to view attachment

Well there you go ....the perfect price...FREE...great score
Rand
I love everything about this. But a newbie taking this on will only make him hate it.
brcacti
GREAT CAR for free smile.gif
mepstein
welcome.png
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 19 2019, 04:14 PM) *

I love everything about this. But a newbie taking this on will only make him hate it.

We all started somewhere. Many of us with something just like this one.
Rand
I know. I did too.
This, my friend, is not a good one. How will he begin.
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 21 2019, 07:39 AM) *

I know. I did too.
This, my friend, is not a good one. How will he begin.

I guess I'd start by cleaning it up, then evaluating it. It could be just a parts car, or it could be salvageable within the owner's budget if given enough time...AND with help from this group.

Free is a good starting point. Nothing to loose. Everything to gain.

If you have to start with "a good one", most of us would still be waiting.

DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Sep 19 2019, 11:13 AM) *

94 was a long time ago,,,hoping for the best..........here is the one I found in WA. 2005 with 1990 reg.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=airport

Great story! (I like a happy ending smile.gif )

This is the plate that was on mine when I found it in a SoCal garage 2 years ago...

IPB Image

On the road for 20 years...off the road for 20 years

After power washing...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Back on the road this summer...

IPB Image
bbrock
welcome.png

I'll bet once this one is cleaned up, it will be in nicer shape than my first one. I don't think we've seen enough to judge whether this is "a good one." It looks to me like the pass door is a little ajar in the first pic, giving the appearance of a sag. We need more pics of the longs and hell hole to better judge what this car needs. Get the rocker covers off and post plenty of pictures of both sides and under the battery tray to we can see if there are structural issues.

In addition to starting with a good clean up, see if you can pick up a copy of Rand's motivational speaking series on DVD for more inspiration. poke.gif lol-2.gif
Superhawk996
piratenanner.gif Can't beat Free. This car will be all about sweat equity.

welcome.png
KELTY360
QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 21 2019, 08:23 AM) *

welcome.png

I'll bet once this one is cleaned up, it will be in nicer shape than my first one. I don't think we've seen enough to judge whether this is "a good one." It looks to me like the pass door is a little ajar in the first pic, giving the appearance of a sag. We need more pics of the longs and hell hole to better judge what this car needs. Get the rocker covers off and post plenty of pictures of both sides and under the battery tray to we can see if there are structural issues.

In addition to starting with a good clean up, see if you can pick up a copy of Rand's motivational speaking series on DVD for more inspiration. poke.gif lol-2.gif

agree.gif

lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.