Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Up Side Down motor storage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Literati914
my dumb question for the day (maybe not the first today actually idea.gif ):
Anyway, I have a couple engines I'm storing and they get turned by hand regularly and so I keep oil in them.. I'm gonna need to turn one of them up side down for an extended time so that I can do some exhaust work. Will I need to drain the oil, or won't there be an issue with oil draining out of various sports and/or getting into areas it shouldn't? Are there other issues I've not thought of? Thanks.
mb911
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Sep 19 2019, 03:10 PM) *

Anyway, I have a couple engines I'm storing and they get turned by hand regularly and so I keep oil in them.. I'm gonna need to turn one of them up side down for an extended time so that I can do some exhaust work. Will I need to drain the oil, or won't there be an issue with oil draining out of various sports and/or getting into areas it shouldn't? Are there other issues I've not thought of? Thanks.

Won't a type 4 leak out the top oil fill/vent area? I don't know much about type 4s but think I might be right..
Cupomeat
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 19 2019, 07:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Sep 19 2019, 03:10 PM) *

Won't a type 4 leak out the top oil fill/vent area? I don't know much about type 4s but think I might be right..

Yes, it will be hard to keep it from leaking out the top vent and the head vents if it has them. Drain the oil, pull the plugs and squirt a little oil in each cyl, put the plugs back and leave it for years that way if needed.
Literati914
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Sep 19 2019, 06:20 PM) *

.. Drain the oil, pull the plugs and squirt a little oil in each cyl, put the plugs back and leave it for years that way if needed.

Oh OK.. simple enough. Won't hurt to turn it a bit, now and again? I guess minimally.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.