Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-4 Stub to early 911 100mm CV to 930 108mm CV - HOW?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dgale914
Hey guys,

I ran across some old threads on this but wasn't able to get the answers I was looking for. Hence the need to post this message.

I recently picked up a full tube chassis 914 that was set-up for a water cooled V8. I have a Bill Mitchell small block chevy 'Motown' 427 cubic inch motor laying around and a Boxster 6 speed with a Guard LSD. I have the motor & trans mated and mounted in the chassis and now I'm looking for an axle solution.

Long story but the car's hubs, calipers, and rotors are all Coleman Racing stock car components with QA-1 double adjustable coilovers. It's a very well built car with very cheap consumables. The car also has 'wide 5' wheels that are commonly used on circle track cars. These are mated to the 4 lug hubs with a large billet adapter.

Now that I've set the stage for what I'm dealing with I need some info around axles and CV joints.

I have access to:
(1) pair of 930 axles with the 108mm 6 bolt CV joints.
(1) pair of early 911 axles with the 100mm CV joints.
(1) pair of billet adapters to go from 914-4 4 bolt, 2 pin to 6 bolt 100mm CV

I need:
(1) pair of axles that will get me from the billet adapter with the 100mm 6 bolt pattern to the 108mm 6 bolt pattern.

I read one thread that said that the 2000 Boxster S uses the same length shaft on both sides. I was also told by someone that you need a 1/2" spacer on one of the sides to extend that side's axle length. Not sure who is correct?

Questions:

1. Is the axle shaft diameter and spline count the same between the early 911 with 100mm CV and the later 108mm?

2. If yes to #1, then is it possible to assemble a 100mm CV on the end of a 108mm 930 axle? Are the nuckle, cage and balls the same size?

3. If no to #1, then who sells an axle that would allow me to assemble a 100mm CV on one end of the shaft and a 108mm on the other end?

4. With a 2000 Boxster S transaxle, are the left and right axles the same length? If not, what lengths are required on each side?

I have some early 911 5 lug hubs I could use to make a 108mm to 108mm solution but I prefer to use those on another 914-6 project.

Any help you guys can provide to get from point A to B would help.

Thanks

Doug
tmr.doug@gmail.com
ClayPerrine
I just looked into this for my 4.0L engine 914-6.

The 930 axles use the 108 mm cv joints. The shafts won't interchange with the 100mm cv joints. Wrong size. I would suggest getting another set of 911 hubs and use the whole 930 axle. It fits the Boxster/Cayman trans and is the correct length for a 914 chassis.

dgale914
I just went out and measured & counted everything. You are correct. The 930 had a 28 spline count and the 914 and early 911 axles are 33 spline. Different diameter shaft as well.

I have an early set of 911 hubs with the 108mm CV bolt pattern & matching stub axles. I guess I'll have to use those on this car to keep things simple. Time to pull the hubs and change the bearings!

Thanks for the info on this and confirming the 930 length axles will work with the 2000 Boxster S 6-speed.

I'll let you know how it all works out!

Doug
ClayPerrine
Mine is on a 2006 Cayman S six speed. The axles fit fine on a 914.

Here's a picture of the bottom of my car with the axles installed.

IPB Image

Mine already had the hubs and brakes installed. I just removed the 944 axles and installed the 930 axles. Everything fit with no issues.

Oh.. make sure you get the right length bolts for the CV joints. Too long and they hit the side of the transaxle.

Clay
Maltese Falcon
Patrick's (can be pricey ยก) may have a solution...check their online parts/ then follow up with a call. Moore off-road may have a solution as well...Clay's set up works well (with the Boxster box) ; follow his steps
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 20 2019, 09:31 AM) *

I just looked into this for my 4.0L engine 914-6.

The 930 axles use the 108 mm cv joints. The shafts won't interchange with the 100mm cv joints. Wrong size. I would suggest getting another set of 911 hubs and use the whole 930 axle. It fits the Boxster/Cayman trans and is the correct length for a 914 chassis.

Hi Clay...pls chk your DM , thx !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.