Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heat Exchangers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Literati914
I have a couple sets of 1.7/1.8 heat exchangers that have been semi-refurbished. That's to say - they've been cleaned and coated in VHT header paint (1300-2000 degree). They have the typical dents, dings and un-sealed edges at the heater boxes (from age, rust), that you normally get with used mild steel heat exchangers (these are not SSI). TONS of life left in them tho. $150 shipped each set.

IPB Image

bdstone914
1.7 and 1.8 heat exchangers use different pipe sizes. The pair on the right appear to be 1.7. The ones on the left appears to have a larger tube diameter. The flange hole pattern is the same but you do not want to use a 1.7 enchanger on any engine larger than that.

The 1974 1.8L exchangers have the same tube size as the 2.0 L and are better for a higher output motor.
If you lay them flat and look at the gap between the tubes you will see the difference.
Yours look to be in much better condition than most that have loose rusted boxes. Price is more than fair as shipping will cost about $40.
Good luck with sale.
Tbrown4x4
PM Sent
Tdskip
PM on 1.8 sized ones.
Literati914
I don't know of any differences in the piping diameter amongst the 1.7 & 1.8 exhausts - I always read that they were the same. But I'm no expert. So can anyone here post specifics on diameters?

I went and measured the two sets I'm selling and also a set of SSI HE's that I have (those are definitely meant for 1.7 and 1.8). The results are averaged -
- first # is OD of pipe @ the head end,
- second # is OD just under the mounting tabs
- third # is OD @ the muffler flange
- last number is the ID inside the flange for the muffler. as follows:

Set #1 mild steel:
41.72mm
39.59mm
35.32mm
31.08mm

Set #2 mild steel:
41.65mm
39.00mm
35.21mm
30.15mm

SSI HE's 1.7/1.8:
41.37mm
38.57mm
38.20mm
34.15mm

So, I'm pretty sure the picture I posted of the mild steel exchangers (above), is an optical illusion.. and they are the same. The thing that was surprising from these measurements is how thick the walls of the tubing (of the mild steal exchangers) is in comparison to the thinner stainless.

Literati914
icon_bump.gif

$140 Shipped.
mepstein
I don't know of any differences in the piping diameter amongst the 1.7 & 1.8 exhausts - I always read that they were the same. But I'm no expert. So can anyone here post specifics on diameters?
All the pipe diameters are the same on the stainless steel ones but the oem varied as bruce said.
OEM are probably easier to fit to the heads due to the larger flange and yours are well priced.
bdstone914
@mepstein ' date='Sep 30 2019, 12:59 PM' post='2751303']
All the pipe diameters are the same on the stainless steel ones but the oem varied as bruce said.
OEM are probably easier to fit to the heads due to the larger flange and yours are well priced.
[/quote]
1.8 have 42mm pipes an 1.7 36mm.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.