Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Damn you Craigslist V8 914 build thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Matty900
After The Beer Run we hosted a few weekends ago, this happened. I was taking my friend JP to the airport. He had spent the weekend driving my 72 1.7 and was returning home to Vegas. We had a little time to kill so we stopped off at a coffee shop and he pulled up our local Craigslist to see if there was anything interesting. One of the 1st things he found was an add for a 914 with a V8. He thought it looked like something he may be interested in and the price seemed reasonable if it was half as good as it looked, so we called. There was no answer so I figured it was a fake add and I could start to expect random spam calls in the near future.
I took JP on to the airport and worked my way back to the shop to tuck my car in. Just as I was about to pull the car in, my phone rings. It's the seller from Craigslist and he still has the car.
I call JP and he has just boarded the flight but is still very interested in the car. So I pull the car back out into the pouring rain and make my way up to Vancouver. The weather continues to worsen and as I am pulling into Vancouver, I get a call from my wife that they have just issued a tornado warning for the area (not a normal thing in this part of the country. )
This is a short video of what I found

914-8
https://gopro.com/v/PoOrJrOPGvB8a
Matty900
So at this point, I have seen the car, ridden in the car and don't really see anything to really scare me off of it. It does need some real work, but a lot of work has already been done, and this is a running and driving car.
I don't know if JP is going to be up for the work that will need to be done or not but I am pretty confident that the car will be gone if I don't act now. I reach out to a few 914 guys with way more experience than me. Of course, they all tell me the same thing. V8 914? Nooooooo! screwy.gif
So of course I put a deposit down to hold the car. chair.gif
RickS
Purists be damned. That looks like serious fun with acceleration that would make most teener owners cry. Including me.
Matty900
QUOTE(RickS @ Sep 21 2019, 09:50 PM) *

Purists be damned. That looks like serious fun with acceleration that would make most teener owners cry. Including me.

It is pretty fun.
Larmo63
That beard is legit.

Buy the car, you only live once.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 21 2019, 10:42 PM) *

That beard is legit.

agree.gif

14.gif

Oscar
mepstein
aktion035.gif
draganc
Nice find! How much is he asking for?
Matty900
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 21 2019, 10:42 PM) *

That beard is legit.

aktion035.gif
So after sharing the video and photos of the car with my buddy. He decided that it was a little more of a project than he wanted to take on.
So, since I already had the deposit down on the car, I went ahead and purchased it myself. Here is a photo hord of the work that was done on the car including the steel flares going on the car. https://photos.app.goo.gl/oi1o1QHS5iTDiWJ18
Matty900
So I went and picked up the car and started cleaning it up a little. I will be doing some YouTube videos on it as I work on it but here is a quick preview
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zBnbSQstSBNnjF8C7
So far every one who has seen it has been pretty impressed (or kind enough not to spoil my fun)
mepstein
I like it. Every 914 owner needs an outlaw car.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Matty900 @ Sep 22 2019, 09:13 AM) *
So, since I already had the deposit down on the car, I went ahead and purchased it myself.

We all knew that was coming ...
biggrin.gif

ValcoOscar
Super happy for you Matt.
Congrats beerchug.gif

Can't wait to see it make its maiden voyage to SoCal.

Oscar
Chris H.
smilie_pokal.gif Nice find. Sounds really good.
tvdinnerbythepool
Awesome!!
Matty900
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 22 2019, 09:25 AM) *

It really has been a journey of discovery for me. I think that the 1.7 will always be my go to car as my 1st build it will always be a special car to me. This is a whole new learning experience.
The previous owner left a lot of projects for me to do.
It's a hell of a lot of fun but kind of a rolling death trap the way it is now.
We will take care of that though.
Matty900
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Sep 22 2019, 09:35 AM) *

Super happy for you Matt.
Congrats beerchug.gif

Can't wait to see it make its maiden voyage to SoCal.

Oscar

I learned it from watching you Oscar beerchug.gif
Rand
It is a thing bro. Every man wants one.
Matty900
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 22 2019, 09:27 AM) *

QUOTE(Matty900 @ Sep 22 2019, 09:13 AM) *
So, since I already had the deposit down on the car, I went ahead and purchased it myself.

We all knew that was coming ...
biggrin.gif

aktion035.gif
don-6
Very cool Matt! Congrats
sb914
Congrats ! Looks great and already flared is a huge bonus!

Matty900
So here's where I need the advice of those that have come before me down this path.
My 1st concerns are for safety. I plan on working with Cary and Super-in-law on the welding and rust repairs but he is out for a month with a hiking trip and then the prep and race of the Nora500 in Baja.
So that gives me some time to learn more so I can come up with a plan.
Here's what I am looking at.

This is a 400+ hp car without any chassis stiffening or roll bars. It has the factory seatbelts. blink.gif Oh and it has the original 901 transmission that has not even had 1st gear locked out.

My plan for the chassis stiffening is to use the Brad Mayeur kit (that we stock, thank you Brad) and the suspension gussets that Cary came up with (that we also stock, thank you Cary) to help handle the torque created by this motor.

I need suggestions on safety. Roll bar' no roll bar...So many options...
I am thinking that at some point I would like to go back to a Porsche motor in this car so maybe a 3.2-3.6 that being the case, I would like to be as tasteful as possible and not just start hacking and welding.

Those are the things I need to start figuring out before Cary gets back.

In the meantime I have other issues that I can start on.
Like the super sketchy wiring job.
914werke
I like the alligator clip! headbang.gif
preach
QUOTE(914werke @ Sep 22 2019, 04:41 PM) *

Probably in hand from the roach he was smoking when the PO wired it.

Looks like the car will be fun!
worn
QUOTE(preach @ Sep 22 2019, 12:56 PM) *

I think it would be worthwhile to map out the electrics as a first step. Have to agree that the alligator clip is too temporary, but just cause it isnt in the original loom doesnt mean it doesn’t serve the builder’s purpose. Yeah, i like my original 2.0, but for driving, i would take the 3.2. You may just get used to what Porsche aircooled wont supply.
As for safety tubes, i aint scared. Brakes are good, tires fair. Maybe bump up the life insurance though. Have fun. Oh, and have to agree with Sir Andy. The title gives it away.
mepstein
You generally don't want a roll bar in a street car. They are for race cars when you wear a helmet. Same with harnesses. The 3 point seat belt is for a street car. The 5 & six point for a race car. But do your research and make an informed decision.
Matty900
QUOTE(worn @ Sep 22 2019, 02:53 PM) *

QUOTE(preach @ Sep 22 2019, 12:56 PM) *

I think it would be worthwhile to map out the electrics as a first step. Have to agree that the alligator clip is too temporary, but just cause it isnt in the original loom doesnt mean it doesn’t serve the builder’s purpose. Yeah, i like my original 2.0, but for driving, i would take the 3.2. You may just get used to what Porsche aircooled wont supply.
As for safety tubes, i aint scared. Brakes are good, tires fair. Maybe bump up the life insurance though. Have fun. Oh, and have to agree with Sir Andy. The title gives it away.

"Maybe bump up the life insurance though." lol-2.gif Yes, definitely.
Looking forward to sorting out all of the wiring. The previous owner went through 4 motors to get to the current configuration. 3 were rotary motors. The last was a twin turbo. It looks like a lot if abandoned wires that need to be removed and then the rest can be properly cleaned up and plugs put on.
Can anyone tell me what he was doing with the alligator clip on the fuse post? Where should that really go? It runs down to the alternator idea.gif
914forme
chassis wise solid plan. Avoid the roll bar, with the Mayer kit it is solid thru the core, get the Egmann kit from mad dog or have Cary build one that runs up the inner racers and get rid of the heater Chanel, and take it all the way back the to the -4 mount. Run across the lower half to tie it all in.

After that if you need more, then weld a roof on.

Only race belts I would run on the street are Schroth with ASM technology. It is a 4 point belt system.

3 points are fine.

Treat the 901 nice and you will be fine for a while, lots of them running around with out issue.

Wiring is definitely sub par.

Other than that, just enjoy the car, it looks like a great driver quality car.

Rust yes get it fixed, but that was a know can of worms.
Matty900
QUOTE(914forme @ Sep 22 2019, 05:45 PM) *

chassis wise solid plan. Avoid the roll bar, with the Mayer kit it is solid thru the core, get the Egmann kit from mad dog or have Cary build one that runs up the inner racers and get rid of the heater Chanel, and take it all the way back the to the -4 mount. Run across the lower half to tie it all in.

After that if you need more, then weld a roof on.

Only race belts I would run on the street are Schroth with ASM technology. It is a 4 point belt system.

3 points are fine.

Treat the 901 nice and you will be fine for a while, lots of them running around with out issue.

Wiring is definitely sub par.

Other than that, just enjoy the car, it looks like a great driver quality car.

Rust yes get it fixed, but that was a know can of worms.

Thank you Stephen beerchug.gif
I have a little radiator leak so I will be pulling it out to get it fixed and then pulling everything out of the front trunk to fix the rust there, mount or relocate the battery (open to suggestions) and then paint the whole front trunk. I will put in a grill over the wheel wells and then tinted some Raptor and paint the main trunk area to protect it. I would love to see V8 front trunk photos for anyone that has them. This is what my drunk looks like now:
Andyrew
It's a V8 car, sketchy wiring is gonna be par for the game biggrin.gif

Seriously though it's a really good looking car!

I wish the iron block V8 conversions made a comeback because done well they are really great driving cars. Torquey like a good type 4 but with 3x the power number.
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(Matty900 @ Sep 22 2019, 12:53 PM) *

Oh and it has the original 901 transmission that has not even had 1st gear locked out.

I always use 1st gear in my V8/914 to get the car rolling. Starting in 2nd is awkward and takes some clutch slipping to do it.

I have enough discipline to stay off the loud pedal in low gear.
Andyrew
QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Sep 22 2019, 08:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Matty900 @ Sep 22 2019, 12:53 PM) *

Oh and it has the original 901 transmission that has not even had 1st gear locked out.

I always use 1st gear in my V8/914 to get the car rolling. Starting in 2nd is awkward and takes some clutch slipping to do it.

I have enough discipline to stay off the loud pedal in low gear.

The first gear is great for traffic or driveways or trailers. Never understood why people just didn't use restraint... I never went over 1/8th throttle in first and it was fantastic.
djway
Listening to your car I suddenly realized my inner caveman was grunting loudly
That thing sounds amazing
Have a blast
Gearup
I called on the car and he sailed it had just sold. It listed quite a few nice options. The fact it has steel flares and looks the way kit does is a huge bonus. Steel flares ain’t cheap to have installed. Congrats
burton73
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 22 2019, 09:25 AM) *

agree.gif

These v8 cars are lots of fun. Had my 1st in 1979

Back then it was very rare.

Bob B
scottthephotog
Wow. This car looks super fun. What a great find!

Out of curiosity, why would someone cut the inside fenders in the front trunk like that?
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(scottthephotog @ Sep 23 2019, 10:29 AM) *

Out of curiosity, why would someone cut the inside fenders in the front trunk like that?

There has to be somewhere for the inlet air to the radiator to exit. The other alternative is to cut the hood.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Matty900 @ Sep 22 2019, 05:16 PM) *
Can anyone tell me what he was doing with the alligator clip on the fuse post? Where should that really go? It runs down to the alternator idea.gif

Well, the removed the voltage regulator from the relay board so maybe some sort of bypass?
confused24.gif

scottthephotog
QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Sep 23 2019, 12:40 PM) *

QUOTE(scottthephotog @ Sep 23 2019, 10:29 AM) *

There has to be somewhere for the inlet air to the radiator to exit. The other alternative is to cut the hood.

I didn't even think of that. That makes total sense. Thanks!
Chris914n6
The only thing you need from the relay board is the fuel pump relay, otherwise all the wires are in the chassis connector.

GM alt has built in regulator, so it just needs a triggered 12v and charge wire to battery/starter.

Back in the day I made the Renegade harness but haven't been able to find my fab diagram. Those used the 914 engine connector and relay board.

I removed my board on the N6 and plugged directly to the chassis connector with a 911 mate. Factory diagrams are plentiful for wire outs.

Now that your Bro makes harnesses we expect your replacement to be top notch poke.gif

I'd put the battery back in the stock location. A lot of juice is needed to turn a V8 and cables that long aren't helping.

I kept 1st gear too. It's nice in a parking lot or rush hour stop & go or up the driveway.
burton73
Looking the pictures over one more time. You have a running car you just need to clean it all up.

I also like the battery in the regular spot for more than one reason. We have no idea what you have for brakes. You need big ventilated brakes. Boxster brakes or vented 911 Carrara brakes.
If you try to lay rubber in this car and that can be fun you will pop CV joints. I know I have done it. Not death put you will not be going anyplace and need a tow back to your shop.

Number one you have to STOP. That will get rid of the death trap mostly. I would try to get light wheels on your car if your wheels are cast not forged Fuchs every bit of unstrung weight you can save will help you out. The ram horn on the exhaust is very close to the same HP as headers so you do not need to waste money there.

Bob B

burton73

Bob B
Matty900
Thanks guys for all of the help. I am thinking that the battery needs to go back to the correct location too. It could get interesting because he put an electric heater box in that location. So I will probably relocate that to below the relay board.
Matty900
He did a good job on the brakes. Between that and the huge 17" wheels and tires, it really is a pretty sure footed car
Matty900
This is what it feels like to drive a 400hp 914 after driving the 86hp 1.7
Matty900
I took the car out to a local night meet in downtown Portland last night and then did some shooting after the event. The car is a huge draw and I had great response from everyone. This event is a young crowd and had a Fast and Furious vibe to it. I had someone ask if I would be willing to let them shoot the car for a music video next weekend. Later when I was shooting around town I came across another photographer shooting and let the use the car as a prop for a few shots.
Matty900
aktion035.gif
sb914
Great shots ! You’re to coolest guy in town now !
get off my lawn
Everyone should own a V8 914 at least once. Especially in the Malibu hills in the rain, with nearly slick tires, and no working defroster. :-)

I never locked out my 1st gear either, it was perfect for creeping up slowly or putting the car in the garage.
I just didn't hit the loud pedal in 1st.
ValcoOscar
Damn...What great shots, you're motivating me more than ever to finish my LSV8 914.

smash.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif fighting19.gif help.gif whack_3.gif hitfan[1].gif boom.gif gint.gif morning1.gif

driving.gif

Oscar
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.