Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Making late doors lighter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jetsetsurfshop
Has anyone ever successfully removed the safety crash bars from the late doors? I'd like to get it off without needing to reshoot the door. It looks like its spot welded to the exterior panel.
Maybe I can get most of it off without damaging the paint.
My door without all the window crap weighs 36lbs. Lighter is better!!
I guess I should just look for some early doors....
Thanks
mlindner
Shane, just buy the 72 doors, late style window regulators but with out the safety beam. Thats what I did, and I do have a nice passage side door if needed. Just weighed the door........20 lbs. Best, Mark
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(mlindner @ Sep 22 2019, 07:58 AM) *

Shane, just buy the 72 doors, late style window regulators but with out the safety beam. Thats what I did, and I do have a nice passage side door if needed. Just weighed the door........20 lbs. Best, Mark

Between the doors I'd be saving 30lbs. Awesome. I'm going to look for some early doors then. There's a guy local to me that has some 914 parts sitting around. I'm going to check with him.
Thanks for the help.
aktion035.gif
roblav1
I just did this last week. The structure is not spot welded to the outer door skin. I cut out the inner door panel structure out then cut out as much of that weight as I could. Then mixed up some epoxy peanut butter and placed between the cut edges and the door skin to prevent bibration. Then tig'd the inner frame back in.
mlindner
Funny, when I had my car painted a few years ago the painter asked me why the passenger door weighs twice of that of the drivers....I had a small accident at Road America 15 years earlier and a early drivers door was stuck on. I had to act fast to find a early passenger while still at the painter.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.