Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fan Housing removal with engine in car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cazz
I've got an oil leak at the front of the engine that I can't seem to find. Can the fan housing be removed and taken off engine with the engine still mounted in the car?
mepstein
Drop the engine. Takes an hour or two. So much easier to do everything.
IronHillRestorations
If you are trying to fix an oil leak and aren't sure of the source, Mark is right; pull the engine. Otherwise you'll take longer to attempt to find the leak, and probably pull the engine anyway
ClayPerrine
Yes, you can pull the fan housing in the car. I have done it. But I don't recommend it. It is far easier to drop the motor and work on it when its out.

VaccaRabite
Yeah I've done it too. Its seriously not a lot of fun, especially on a hot summer day laying on your back with oil dripping on you. Its also probably hard on your transmission mounts since they are acting as pivots.

By the time you have tilted the engine down far enough to undo and remove the doghouse, removing 2 more bolts, some wire clips and hose clamps to pull the engine the rest of the way really isn't any more time.

Zach
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Sep 24 2019, 09:32 AM) *

Yeah I've done it too. Its seriously not a lot of fun, especially on a hot summer day laying on your back with oil dripping on you. Its also probably hard on your transmission mounts since they are acting as pivots.

By the time you have tilted the engine down far enough to undo and remove the doghouse, removing 2 more bolts, some wire clips and hose clamps to pull the engine the rest of the way really isn't any more time.

Zach

Zach...

I never had to move the back of the motor down. I just pull the engine tin, the fan, the AC compressor, the shift rod. Then the fan housing comes out the bottom. The problem was putting it back in.. getting the cooling flaps in correctly when you can't see them is a trick.

Clay
scottthephotog
I've pulled it while the engine is in the car in order to change the oil cooler. I have no desire to do it again. Much easier to drop the engine. As Clay mentioned, getting the cooling flaps back in place with the engine in is a bit difficult. The front engine tin barely has enough room to come in and out with the engine in place as well.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
nope

QUOTE(Cazz @ Sep 22 2019, 11:01 AM) *

I've got an oil leak at the front of the engine that I can't seem to find. Can the fan housing be removed and taken off engine with the engine still mounted in the car?

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 24 2019, 01:34 PM) *

nope

QUOTE(Cazz @ Sep 22 2019, 11:01 AM) *

George,

You want me to come demonstrate it for you?

Clay
Tjmrfe
QUOTE(Cazz @ Sep 22 2019, 10:01 AM) *

I’m doing that exact job.....
Take the motor out....
You’ll be happier and far more effective
Superhawk996
Evergreen Thread: When to drop the engine.

Belongs in classics or something. Topic seems to pop up about once every two to three months.

You can do most anything the hard way. Question is why would you want to do it the hard way? shades.gif Mid engine cars (not just 914's) practically demand an engine drop to do any substantial work. Nature of the beast.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.