Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear axle roll pins replaced with bolts?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
90quattrocoupe
Is it possible to tap the holes for the roll pins and replace with bolts? Would this allow the use of 6 bolt cv joints? Possible to time sert the stub axle and sleeve the cv joint?

Greg W.
stownsen914
I modified some early 911 flanges to replace the roll pins with bolts to cure a persistent grease leakage issue between the CV and the flange. This is on a 300+ hp car. Apparently the flanges were flexing and allowing grease to seep through. With 6 bolts the leakage stopped. To do the mod, I had a machine shop tap the roll pin holes and install timeserts.

With that said, on my 914 racecar that has ~260 hp, I use stock 914 CVs with the roll pins, and haven't had a problem.

Scott
bdstone914
QUOTE(90quattrocoupe @ Sep 22 2019, 11:02 AM) *

Is it possible to tap the holes for the roll pins and replace with bolts? Would this allow the use of 6 bolt cv joints? Possible to time sert the stub axle and sleeve the cv joint?

Greg W.

What to you expect to gain?
The roll pin holes are 10 mm and the bolts are 8mm so you cant tap a larger hole to a smaller size. You can drill out two of the holes in the 6 bolt cv and use a roll pin.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.