Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TDC mark
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shane
I replaced the main seals and reassembled everything my question is is it possible to install the cooling fan in the wrong position, Given the shaft key and the mounting pin? When my TDC mark is in the notch my rotor is pointing towards #1 cylinder and when I rotate the engine and the rotor is pointing towards #2 the white dot I painted on the fan per instructions for adjusting valves under the car pops up in the notch on top of the fan housing. Appreciate any insight thanks
914Sixer
Fan only goes on one way on the crankshaft
IronHillRestorations
There's a keyway on the crankshaft and the fan hub, and there's a pin on the hub and a corresponding hole in the impeller, so if you have all the right parts and everything is there, only one way to put it together. If the pin is gone, you have the impeller indexed wrong
shane
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Sep 22 2019, 05:17 PM) *

There's a keyway on the crankshaft and the fan hub, and there's a pin on the hub and a corresponding hole in the impeller, so if you have all the right parts and everything is there, only one way to put it together. If the pin is gone, you have the impeller indexed wrong

Great thanks for the reply, I’m not much of a mechanic so I get a bit confused easy. The TDC mark on the impeller and TDC on the #1 piston are in the same position at the same time so I’m guessing after that the distributor position will just follow that. Im pretty sure I can get er done. Thanks again
jcd914
The firing order is 1 - 4 - 3 - 2.

So from TDC #1 turning the engine 1/2 turn should bring up TDC #4.

But if you turned the engine backwards 1/2 turn you would get TDC #2

Jim
Tbrown4x4
I agree with Jim. Make sure you're not turning it backwards. Distributor rotor turns clockwise.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.