Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: High RPMs at start...and sticking.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CptTripps
This just happened last night. I was driving along and the car started accelerating with my foot off the pedal. I thought it was the carpet pushing the pedal or something. Didn't do it again, so I thought all was well.

I popped the engine bay when I got home, and it looked like I had one of the vent hoses in the way or something. Anywho...

I was driving to work this morning, and the same thing happened. Then after I had breakfast, I turned the key and the RPMs shot through the roof, then went back down. The engine bay is clear, and I've lubed the cabling to the carbs.

Any ideas?
xsboost90
check for vac. leaks somewhere....not sure about carb troubles though.
CptTripps
No vacuum at all that I know of...you don't have vacuum with carbs...do you?

Maybe that's the problem?
Dave_Darling
Any time you have air flow and something creating a restriction to flow, you have vacuum. The engine is trying to suck air in, creating air flow. The throttle valve in the carb is restricting air flow--that's its function, after all! Therefore, you have a vacuum in the carb a nd manifold, "downstream" of the throttle plate.

Vacuum leaks cause all kinds of funky problems. Check between the carb and the manifold, between the manifold and the head, and all over the carb itself.

The throttle valves could be sticking, somehow. Check the linkage for binding or any oddness, check the throttle plates themselves, check over both carbs.

Also check the ignition system--if the advance weights stick, you can get a high idle like that sometimes.

--DD
CptTripps
Fixed it....here's what it was. 2 part problem, bith working in conjunction with eachother.

#1 - the linkage was getting caught up on the Coil. Easy fix.

#2 - the rear air cleaner screw came undone from the pass-side carb. It is about 8" long, and fell down on top of the rear linkage. So it was making it stick.

Case closed...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.