Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shorter shifter lever for a tall guy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
9**P-car
I’m 6’ 4” tall, and shifting into R or first is literally under my right knee. A shorter lever (not a short-shift kit) might help. Anyone else have a solution for this?

Thanks
bdstone914
QUOTE(9**P-car @ Sep 23 2019, 05:53 AM) *

I’m 6’ 4” tall, and shifting into R or first is literally under my right knee. A shorter lever (not a short-shift kit) might help. Anyone else have a solution for this?

Thanks

Seen a bunch of home made shifters cut short. Not sure it gained much.
gereed75
I am 6’4” and a long time 914 guy. Currently running a Weltmiester short shift with maybe a slightly shorter shifter. Some help.

Smaller steering wheel probably helps more than a shorter shifter. Mine currently 13.5 inches. Big help.
VaccaRabite
If you are going to do it, do it right. Get a Rennshift shifter. You can choose the shift lever length when you buy, and can switch between (IIRC) 15% and 33% reduction in shift throw by changing how the shifter is set up.

If you use ANY sort of short shifter, you will want to go through all of your shifter bushings and renew everything. Any small shifter issues you have at the stock throw are going to be multiplied with a short shifter.

Zach
ChrisFoley
The stock shift lever is epoxied together. Remove the shifter from the car and disassemble. Break the epoxy by applying heat to the base. Clean up the parts, reassemble in the car, and then re-secure the shaft with jbweld after rotating it to a better position to clear your knee.
9**P-car
Thanks for the ideas. I did look into the RennShift shifter. The length options are stock or 2" longer. I may contact them about a shorter one.
thelogo
Im 6'3 and stock length is best
Length is not the issue . when any length
To go 1st reverse you will have to swing both legs to the left
Imho

Or just a cobra stick lever that go's straight back

And ?
Since the standard transmission is dying a slow and painful death .
Why hasn't someone come up with a replacement for linkage . like a pushbutton shifter or something
Krieger
[quote name='ChrisFoley' date='Sep 23 2019, 10:08 AM' post='2749544']
The stock shift lever is epoxied together. Remove the shifter from the car and disassemble. Break the epoxy by applying heat to the base. Clean up the parts, reassemble in the car, and then re-secure the shaft with jbweld after rotating it to a better position to clear your knee.

agree.gif I'm 6'3 too. This worked well for me
alexkirkham
I almost hated my 914 to begin with because I'm 6'2" and my legs felt jammed against the wheel and got banged on shifting into 1st. What solved it was two things: a slightly smaller wheel (nardi Miata special edition, cheap on ebay and masses of them around) but mainly a spacer (easy with a nardi boss, and there's room for a quick release thing too) so it sits a bit nearer your body, and higher and gives room for your legs. may be a bit difficult to reach the indicator stalk but it is way more comfortable...

... and oh the photo shows some little heco legato monitor speakers - they nestle in just right once the speaker covers are removed and the sound is not bad at all, and you can tie them in pretty easy...
johnlush
6'5" mutant here. Slightly smaller wheel and a JWest eccentric mount that moves the steering wheel up about 20mm did the trick for me. Also helps with being able to view the gauges that the smaller wheel obscures.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Sep 23 2019, 01:08 PM) *

agree.gif It is not the height of the lever as much as where it is pointed.
Between rotating the lever and installing a smaller steering wheel you should be
able to get more comfortable. Also a shorter lever will require a longer reach to
reverse, second and forth.
The only negative is the smaller wheel reduces view of the gauges.
Rotate the gauges to preserve view of the important bits.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.