Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kill switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
steuspeed
My long time daily driver 81 Scirocco got stolen on 9-14 day. For now I'm driving my 914 to work. I want to add a kill switch of some kind. What have you done? Looking for simple ideas.
SirAndy
I got one of these with the alternator protection:

http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Battery-D...tinfo/EL-28606/

SirAndy
Actually, i lied, i have this one:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/document....DocID=TECH00109

biggrin.gif
Ferg
I used to have a hidden generic switch that A previous owner installed It was my understanding that it was in line with he fuel pump relay, and it was tucked up under the dash so you would never see it unless doing wiring work, but you could find it with your fingers. It was a nice piece of mind. Sorry no pics...
barefoot
QUOTE(Ferg @ Sep 23 2019, 04:18 PM) *

I used to have a hidden generic switch that A previous owner installed It was my understanding that it was in line with he fuel pump relay, and it was tucked up under the dash so you would never see it unless doing wiring work, but you could find it with your fingers. It was a nice piece of mind. Sorry no pics...

Same mod, Mine is carbed so fuel pump is normally on whenenver the key is in ign. position. i wanted to be able to shut pump off, so switch is under dash where it's easy to reach but out of sight
Andyrew
Fuel pump kill is the easiest.

My understanding is you can pull the fuel pump relay and pocket it and reinstall it whenever you go driving it. Assuming your relay board and that fuse is in good condition.
Alphaogre
I use the basic marine style one and mounted it in the car, I had it right near the negative for the battery before, but was sick of having to pop the hood all the time. It helps too when you havent been driving it for a while too in case you have a small draw somewhere in the 50-year-old harness as well.

Click to view attachment
theer
QUOTE(Ferg @ Sep 23 2019, 04:18 PM) *

I did this same thing when I moved the fuel pump out of the engine compartment to the front under the tank. I have carbs, so the FP runs all the time. The switch comes in handy when you need to cut the FP to work on something with the key in the "on" position (i.e. tracing electrical gremlins).
UROpartsman
Some folks get really creative with energizing a series of relays using factory buttons or switches pressed in the correct sequence, like a combination lock.
bbrock
Google 'RFID Kill Switch' and you'll see some neat ideas to make a modern key fob type wireless "key." I'm toying with the idea of making one so the car will only start if you have a correctly coded RFID fob in the car.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 23 2019, 10:15 PM) *

Google 'RFID Kill Switch' and you'll see some neat ideas to make a modern key fob type wireless "key." I'm toying with the idea of making one so the car will only start if you have a correctly coded RFID fob in the car.

I'm toying with the same idea but it's camera based facial recognition trained by AI on something like 20,000 tagged photos. Only works if you have a hot 20 year old blond in the car with with you. biggrin.gif

Damn, wait . . . . it'll probably never start again. More development needed. av-943.gif
steuspeed
Great ideas guys. The good news is that the Scirocco was spotted by a friend of mine. It was left at NW 1st and Glisan. Base of the Steel bridge. This is crackhead corner for sure. Battery dead. Plates removed but under the seat. Washington Trip permit in the back window. Jumper cables in the back. My guess is they tried to get it going and it would not start. Got mat and ripped the hood prop rod off and scratched the hood with it. Car needs a complete paint job badly, so not really upset about that. BBS wheels and nice momo Prototipo with rare wolfburg horn button still on it.

beer3.gif
djway
I have read about a switch on the line to the tach that essentially shuts the coil off. Hide a microswitch under the dash.
Marv's3.6six
I like others use a fuel pump switch, however mine is not hidden, but is in plain sight. Since my car does not have "fog lamps" anymore I have used the fog lamp switch. It must be pulled to the on position for the full pump to operate. idea.gif
Wyvern
QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ Sep 24 2019, 07:51 AM) *

I like others use a fuel pump switch, however mine is not hidden, but is in plain sight. Since my car does not have "fog lamps" anymore I have used the fog lamp switch. It must be pulled to the on position for the full pump to operate. idea.gif

Nice idea ... My non used rear defroster would be a great candidate for that ,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.