Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone Know Member "BiG bOgGs" AKA Jim Boggs?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johnlush
Anyone know Jim Boggs from Bonito Springs, FL? Back in June he was looking for help installing replacement A-Arm bushings and needed the tools to do this.

Bushing install tool., Recommendations needed.

So having already done this and being basically a nice guy I said "Sure, I have them. How about I send them to you, you do your install and then mail them back?" to which he eagerly accepted. So I boxed them up and sent them off on June 26th on my dime. Last I've ever heard from him. He was last logged in on August 9th and I PM'd him either that day or the day after to see how he was doing and nothing, zip, nada. Radio silence. Tried sending an email thru his profile and same result. dry.gif

So if anyone knows Mr. Boggs can you please collect my tools and I'll pay to have you send them back?

Needless to say I'm pretty disappointed. Lesson learned: "DON'T LOAN OUT YOUR TOOLS"

Cairo94507
Sorry man. This sounds cold but unless a member has some serious post history, I do not send, sell, buy anything from them. I also request an email, phone number, address, etc.

I hope that tool was not too expensive. Also, you never know he might be out of town, on vacation, maybe taking a vacation on the city/county taxpayers (custody) you never know. Keep trying and good luck.
Michael beerchug.gif
johnlush
Hey Michael,

Yeah I get that. I just have this hope that the world doesn't have to be a place of constant suspicion and skepticism. Especially here on this board.

Not really about the expense of the tool, just the principle of the thing.

Oh well, Karma's a sheeplove.gif Mr. Boggs

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 23 2019, 02:20 PM) *

Sorry man. This sounds cold but unless a member has some serious post history, I do not send, sell, buy anything from them. I also request an email, phone number, address, etc.

I hope that tool was not too expensive. Also, you never know he might be out of town, on vacation, maybe taking a vacation on the city/county taxpayers (custody) you never know. Keep trying and good luck.
Michael beerchug.gif

jd74914
That sucks. Hopefully someone can help get them back.

If you know the dimensions I could probably turn some for you from some scraps here (gratis) if you aren't successful getting your actual stuff back.
914Sixer
Could have had a medical issue and the family knows nothing.
Ansbacher
As Ronald Reagan always said:

"TRUST BUT VERIFY"

Ansbacher
VaccaRabite
Admin Note: Could we NOT insinuate that our members are criminals please? Why should I even have to say that?!

John you have his address and his name and you know what he looks like. Send him a letter though the mail? Look him up on Facebook. If you have his phone number give him a call. If you don't have contact information how did you send the tools to him in the first place?

Life takes a lot of turns and old cars tend not to be high on the priority list. If you need your tools back, there are ways that are more likely to get them that don't include defamation of character.

Zach
Valy
@VaccaRabite , we don't really know what the truth is but if a guy asks to loan some tools or favor or similar on this forum and then disappears, warning other people here on the events is fair and solid.
This is regardless of what happened to the guy that is not returning the tools, be it health, family or bad intentions.
When I help someone out, I don't expect to be stubbed in the back. And if that person's priorities have changed, to the point that he can't afford to mail back some tools then it's a fair warning to all to avoid lending him tools, regardless of why his priorities changed.
And on top of all, there was absolutely no defamation here by the original poster.
Cairo94507
I apologize; that was bad on my part. Being a guest of the county/city does not make you a criminal though. Sometimes people forget to pay tickets, child support, etc. But point taken.
ConeDodger
A little internet searching reveals that there is a Jim Boggs who has passed away in Ft. Myers which is close to Bonito fl.

The birthdates don’t quite match up and someone logged in o Jim’s account just a few days back so...

Probably the father as he has a son Jim...
SirAndy
QUOTE(Valy @ Sep 24 2019, 07:28 AM) *
we don't really know what the truth is but if a guy asks to loan some tools or favor or similar on this forum and then disappears, warning other people here on the events is fair and solid.

@Valy

He's also a member since 2004 and has 452 posts over the years (last online on August 9th) so can we please stop calling members criminals without knowing any details?
dry.gif
mepstein
John - I understand you probably want your own tools back but if this isn't resolved and you need something quickly to do a job, I'm happy to lend you mine. Just PM with your address and I'll ship in a day. Mark

@johnlush
johnlush
Thanks to all for your thoughts and replies.

My intention was not to publicly defame Jim, I was just out of ideas on how to contact him. Yes, I have his mailing address but if he's not responding to emails or PMs I'm not sure what good a letter would do. I don't have a phone number and I'm not a FaceBookie. I was actually hoping that there was another member local to him that knew him personally and could perhaps check in with him. I'm not totally sure he's dodging me but I did find it odd that he was active on the board until I PM'd him and he hasn't been back since - at least logged in with that account.

I appreciate your offers to either lend me your set or machine replacements. These are something for me that I use infrequently and live the rest of the time in a drawer with the rest of the speciality things we all end up with. I know most of us have a collection like that and it would be nice if we could be able to "help a brother out" when you have something they don't and vice versa. Nice plan but maybe not a good idea in retrospect.

John
Valy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 24 2019, 08:48 AM) *

QUOTE(Valy @ Sep 24 2019, 07:28 AM) *
we don't really know what the truth is but if a guy asks to loan some tools or favor or similar on this forum and then disappears, warning other people here on the events is fair and solid.

@Valy

He's also a member since 2004 and has 452 posts over the years (last online on August 9th) so can we please stop calling members criminals without knowing any details?
dry.gif

@sirandy
Exactly my point. No need to call them names but a fair warning is fine. Everything in the original post was factual so I see no reason that post should not be acceptable.
SirAndy
QUOTE(johnlush @ Sep 24 2019, 09:35 AM) *
Yes, I have his mailing address but if he's not responding to emails or PMs I'm not sure what good a letter would do.

@johnlush

Not trying to be all gloomy, but if he's in the hospital or worse, a mailed letter will at least get you in contact with his family.

He hasn't been online in a month so obviously emails and PMs won't get you anywhere.
sad.gif
johnlush
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 24 2019, 11:00 AM) *

QUOTE(johnlush @ Sep 24 2019, 09:35 AM) *
Yes, I have his mailing address but if he's not responding to emails or PMs I'm not sure what good a letter would do.

@johnlush

Not trying to be all gloomy, but if he's in the hospital or worse, a mailed letter will at least get you in contact with his family.

He hasn't been online in a month so obviously emails and PMs won't get you anywhere.
sad.gif

@sirandy

That's a fair point that I had not thought of. I'll give that a shot. But in all fairness just because he's not been logged in here doesn't mean that he's not been online. cool.gif
get off my lawn
You can usually tell if someone is a criminal by their piercings and weird colored hair biggrin.gif

I kid.

But I learned a long time ago not to loan tools ever to anyone ever. Ever.
if I really like you, I'll give you my tools. If you give em back, great. If not, then I am not surprised or disappointed.

If I don't really really like you, then you can go buy your own damn tools ar15.gif

I got lots of books too, and I don't loan them out ever either. Books are worse than tools. I really like my books.

Maybe i'd sell someone a book with the understanding that I'll buy it back for the same scratch, maybe.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.