Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Okteenerfest Article
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Minerva's 914
I have been singing the praises of the Okteenerfest activities to all that would listen (been thinking about printing a t-shirt that says "WARNING: Will Talk About 914's For HOURS"). I was talking with Darrell Bryant, the editor of the PCA Hurricane region magazine "Der Wirbelstrum" and he asked me to write an article about our group here on 914World and the Okteenerfest activities.

Some of you may know that I am a semi-retired photographer and spent a couple years shooting local races for motorsport.com. So photography is my thing but as a wordsmith, well not so much. However I thought it important enough for us to get the word out to PCA higher-ups that we are for real and a very involved community and we love our cars.

So I am asking everyone to share Okteenerfest moments, memories of this year or prior years, with me. Please post here or PM me with your memories, challenges, achievements, travels to and from the event, you know, maybe you had an adventure Evel Knieveling your car onto or off of the trailer, employing 30 members to help with a charging issue, anything and everything. Especially love to hear your opinion on the Friday drive, Saturday Shine and Show, your favorite car(s) and the Saturday night banquet. All highlights are greatly appreciated. I would also love to hear opinions and comments on the 914Word site. How has the site helped you, motivated you, helped to solve a problem or given you satisfaction knowing you've 1) Helped someone with you knowledge / experience with the 914, 2) taken another step towards saving one more 914. Maybe you'd share the restoration or modification of your 914, how many you own or have owned.

Also tell me if I can quote you via your screen name or if PM'ing perhaps your real name.

Let's work together and make this a year to remember. To the next 50 years!!!

Okay ..... GO!
Pierce
QUOTE(Minerva's 914 @ Sep 23 2019, 07:45 PM) *

I have been singing the praises of the Okteenerfest activities to all that would listen (been thinking about printing a t-shirt that says "WARNING: Will Talk About 914's For HOURS"). I was talking with Darrell Bryant, the editor of the PCA Hurricane region magazine "Der Wirbelstrum" and he asked me to write an article about our group here on 914World and the Okteenerfest activities.

Some of you may know that I am a semi-retired photographer and spent a couple years shooting local races for motorsport.com. So photography is my thing but as a wordsmith, well not so much. However I thought it important enough for us to get the word out to PCA higher-ups that we are for real and a very involved community and we love our cars.

So I am asking everyone to share Okteenerfest moments, memories of this year or prior years, with me. Please post here or PM me with your memories, challenges, achievements, travels to and from the event, you know, maybe you had an adventure Evel Knieveling your car onto or off of the trailer, employing 30 members to help with a charging issue, anything and everything. Especially love to hear your opinion on the Friday drive, Saturday Shine and Show, your favorite car(s) and the Saturday night banquet. All highlights are greatly appreciated. I would also love to hear opinions and comments on the 914Word site. How has the site helped you, motivated you, helped to solve a problem or given you satisfaction knowing you've 1) Helped someone with you knowledge / experience with the 914, 2) taken another step towards saving one more 914. Maybe you'd share the restoration or modification of your 914, how many you own or have owned.

Also tell me if I can quote you via your screen name or if PM'ing perhaps your real name.

Okay ..... GO!

How do we PM you??

Minerva's 914
QUOTE(Pierce @ Sep 23 2019, 11:26 PM) *

QUOTE(Minerva's 914 @ Sep 23 2019, 07:45 PM) *

Okay ..... GO!

How do we PM you??

Click on my screen name and select message member or email member.

Thanks for helping our 914 community!
TheCabinetmaker
How do we PM you??
At the bottom left corner of every post there is a button labeled, "PM". Even a caveman can do it!
Jamie
QUOTE(Minerva's 914 @ Sep 23 2019, 04:45 PM) *

Also tell me if I can quote you via your screen name or if PM'ing perhaps your real name. I also have photos related to the trip.

Okay ..... GO!
somewhat longer story? shades.gif
Jamie

Okay ..... GO!

I am writing a story about my trip to Okteenerfest, are you interested in a somewhat longer story? shades.gif I also have photos related to the story.
Minerva's 914
QUOTE(Jamie @ Sep 24 2019, 02:23 PM) *

Okay ..... GO!

I am writing a story about my trip to Okteenerfest, are you interested in a somewhat longer story? shades.gif I also have photos related to the story.

I'd love it, the newsletter is in PDF only and Darrell explained that length is no problem as there is no page limit. Last issue had a very long story by Tom Roos that he wrote a 6 page story about his 6900 mile trip in his 49 year old 912. Your story may very well end up as a separate sidebar story and YES photo are important and desirable. Thanks for doing this. I will be uploading the issue here for download the second week of October.
Minerva's 914
Okay guys and gals, so far I've received a total of 1 PM about 914 and Okteenerfest activities and story about the love of our air cooled Porsches. It is very well written and the love of the car comes thru nicely. But I need more! Doesn't have to be long, actually better to have several small quotes and maybe 2 feature length snapshots.

The article is due in by Oct 01 so I don't have a lot of time left to put this together. All I have to add to that one story so far is;

""Roughly 150 people brought 60 914s to the beautiful NC mountain village of Banner Elk. Everyone had a good time. No one wants to talk about it."

Come on, let's get busy! Otherwise we will disappear again into the ugly stepsister status of yesteryear.
scottthephotog
I'm sending this thread to my wife. She's better with words then I am. Haha.

Feel free to use some of my photos if you need to. Just provide photo credit if you do.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/scottscheetz/...157711035504582
Minerva's 914
QUOTE(scottthephotog @ Sep 26 2019, 04:07 PM) *

Feel free to use some of my photos if you need to. Just provide photo credit if you do.

THANKS!!!
Jamie
QUOTE(Minerva's 914 @ Sep 26 2019, 12:37 PM) *

THANKS!!!

Did my story and photos arrive OK? shades.gif
Minerva's 914
QUOTE(Jamie @ Sep 27 2019, 11:04 AM) *

QUOTE(Minerva's 914 @ Sep 26 2019, 12:37 PM) *

THANKS!!!

Did my story and photos arrive OK? shades.gif

YES, thank you! Great stuff.

Thank you everyone who contributed, I'll finish up the article this weekend and will expect to have the published issue by the 15th.
Betty
More pictures have been sent, I hope they help.

Can't wait to see the article! cheer.gif first.gif
Minerva's 914
QUOTE(Betty @ Sep 27 2019, 10:57 PM) *

More pictures have been sent, I hope they help.

Can't wait to see the article! cheer.gif first.gif

A great help, thanks to you and all who have pitched in to help with the article. I'm putting the finishing touches on it now and will zip it off before I retire for the evening.

I LOVE 914WORLD!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.