Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1970 turn signal problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scottkrose
My 1970 914: left side turn signals work fine, right side does not. Running lights fine, all bulbs are fine. (cleaned some connections.
Ebrake indicator works fine
Emergency flashers do not work.
turn signal flasher replaced, as one side (guessing right) was fried.
Next step? Turn signal switch, emergency light switch?

All help appreciated.

TIA,

Scott
barefoot
I had a turn signal switch bad on the contacts on one side. Remove the switch and check across the contacts with an ohm meter to verify. Perhaps can clean the wiper contatcs to repair ??
scottkrose
QUOTE(barefoot @ Sep 25 2019, 09:28 AM) *

I had a turn signal switch bad on the contacts on one side. Remove the switch and check across the contacts with an ohm meter to verify. Perhaps can clean the wiper contatcs to repair ??

I am open to checking this, but not sure that would cause the emergency lights to not work either....
scottkrose
Also seems I have no brake lights.....
dr914@autoatlanta.com
either one of the right front or rear marker assemblies has a hot lead plugged into a ground, or one of the wires in the column chunk is rubbing and grounded. Try disconnecting one assembly at a time and see if the em flashers begin to work again. If with both front and rear assemblies completely disconnected, the em flashers still do not work, a wire is melted or the column turn signal switch wire is grounded and or burned
scottkrose
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 25 2019, 12:35 PM) *

either one of the right front or rear marker assemblies has a hot lead plugged into a ground, or one of the wires in the column chunk is rubbing and grounded. Try disconnecting one assembly at a time and see if the em flashers begin to work again. If with both front and rear assemblies completely disconnected, the em flashers still do not work, a wire is melted or the column turn signal switch wire is grounded and or burned

Thank you George. I'll start the process soon. I suspect the steering column as my son says he saw a puff of smoke.... I did not.
To clarify, would what you describe cause the emergency flashers to not work at all?
and the brake lights?
Thanks,
dr914@autoatlanta.com
a short in the lighting. Brake lights are independent unless the wires are misplugged or grouning against each other, check to make sure that you have the correct dual filiment bulbs and check the brake light switch on the pedal cluster under the wood pedal board (key on condenser wire disconnected)

QUOTE(scottkrose @ Sep 25 2019, 10:49 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 25 2019, 12:35 PM) *

Thank you George. I'll start the process soon. I suspect the steering column as my son says he saw a puff of smoke.... I did not.
To clarify, would what you describe cause the emergency flashers to not work at all?
and the brake lights?
Thanks,

scottkrose
Update.
Pulled all front and rear right side bulbs and wires. Pulled emergency light switch. I have the green and brown wire from the right rear turn signal shorted to ground when measured from wire in trunk at bulb to ground and from wire at the emergency light switch to ground. (At this end, I am actually reading two wires, both green and brown, I think I need to split them to isolated the ground. They share a spade/lug.)

Am I on the right track here?

Also how do I remove the "sleeve to get at the turn signal switch connections...?

Thanks in advance.
Spoke
All the wires for the turnsignals should terminate at the 4-way flasher switch. I wouldn't open up the turnsignal stalk on the steering wheel until you verify the wires to the right side lights are ok.

BTW, the flasher flashes both right and left turnsignal bulbs. There's only one wire from the flasher to the 4-way switch and turnsignal handle. If the flasher works for one side it will work for the other if the wiring is ok.

Is this something that just started or has it always been like this?

scottkrose
QUOTE(Spoke @ Sep 27 2019, 06:50 PM) *

All the wires for the turnsignals should terminate at the 4-way flasher switch. I wouldn't open up the turnsignal stalk on the steering wheel until you verify the wires to the right side lights are ok.

BTW, the flasher flashes both right and left turnsignal bulbs. There's only one wire from the flasher to the 4-way switch and turnsignal handle. If the flasher works for one side it will work for the other if the wiring is ok.

Is this something that just started or has it always been like this?

This just started. I have found a green and black short to ground. It is the wire to the front right turn signal. I have bypassed by running a new wire around from right front housing to 4 way switch Now the emergency flashers all work. Running lights all work, but right side blinkers still do not work. I see no power on R of emergency switch with right blinkers on. Also now no lights for either side on tach.

I do not know how to get at the turn signal switch.. this is a 1970..
Spoke
QUOTE(scottkrose @ Sep 28 2019, 11:07 AM) *

This just started. I have found a green and black short to ground. It is the wire to the front right turn signal.

Where is this wire that is shorted to ground? How did you determine it was shorted? Did you remove the right side bulbs before testing?

I have bypassed by running a new wire around from right front housing to 4 way switch Now the emergency flashers all work.

So now all 4 corners turnsignals work?

Running lights all work, but right side blinkers still do not work. I see no power on R of emergency switch with right blinkers on.

So you measure voltage with left side blinkers but not right side blinkers?

Also now no lights for either side on tach.

You should see something if the left side turnsignals are working. Check the bulbs just to make sure they work. You can also check them by removing the common wire between the 2 bulbs and connect either one to ground and try the 4-way flasher.

I believe you start with removing the steering wheel, then continue to dig into the other components there until you reach the turnsignal stalk. It could be that the shorted wire affected the turnsignal contacts or wires.
scottkrose
QUOTE(Spoke @ Sep 28 2019, 12:47 PM) *

QUOTE(scottkrose @ Sep 28 2019, 11:07 AM) *

This just started. I have found a green and black short to ground. It is the wire to the front right turn signal.

Where is this wire that is shorted to ground? How did you determine it was shorted? Did you remove the right side bulbs before testing? I buzzed it end to end and it was short to ground. Yes, I unplugged both ends, still short to ground.

I have bypassed by running a new wire around from right front housing to 4 way switch Now the emergency flashers all work.

So now all 4 corners turnsignals work? All four corners emergency lights work, yes. Right side blinkers and dash indicators are dead.

Running lights all work, but right side blinkers still do not work. I see no power on R of emergency switch with right blinkers on.

So you measure voltage with left side blinkers but not right side blinkers? Yes. On the emergency switch, L and R

Also now no lights for either side on tach.

You should see something if the left side turnsignals are working. Check the bulbs just to make sure they work. You can also check them by removing the common wire between the 2 bulbs and connect either one to ground and try the 4-way flasher.

I believe you start with removing the steering wheel, then continue to dig into the other components there until you reach the turnsignal stalk. It could be that the shorted wire affected the turnsignal contacts or wires.

scottkrose
Update 2:
Shorting across turn signal lever with clips has right side working fine including dash light above tach. By manually “moving” the level I can get them working with the lever and no clips, so the lever is “bad”. I tried some cleaning, but will likely buy a new one.
I can’t seem to get at the switch end under the dash, so I may have to cut and reattached at the lever side.
I now have no light above the tach for the left side blinkers! I have swapped the bulbs, so I know they’re good.
This seems likely an easier problem than the first.
scottkrose
OK. Reread the thread a few times and looked at serveral drawings.
Realized a few things.
1. Grounds can only be taken with bulbs out.
2. I did not have a gr/bl shorted to ground (which saves me running a new wired from front right to cabin...

I have a bad turn lever. Was seeing no power on gr/bl when lever in the right position. When I short across the terminals that should be connected right blinkers work as there are supposed to.

I am still in the position of not being able to actually see the switch, but it seems to be working fine. To replace the lever, I may have to reconnect new lever to old wires to the switch. I can't figure out how to remove the lower metal pan part of the dash, and am not sure it's worth the effort.

Thanks to all that tried to help. I was my own worst enemy, but learned a lot in the process. I have a laminated diagram that I bought from Prospero's Garage. This was invaluable in the process.

Thanks again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.