Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BROKEN DOOR FLAPPERS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rd914
Looks like the plastic sliders on both doors have broken. I can see inside and it is unlocked. What is the best way to open the doors short of breaking the windows.
I would appreciate any advise. Thanks.
Joe Bob
Pop out the windwing and unlatch the inside door handles.

I had that happen once....took me an hour to get my GF out.... wink.gif
URY914
Just a comment: "flappers" and "sliders" are two different pieces of the handle.

There was a post a few weeks ago about getting in the car with the doors locked. It involves un-latching the rear top latch and pulling up the corner of the top and being able to reach the door latch or wiindow crank.

Paul
rd914
Please excuse my ignorance. Is the windwing you are referring to the quarter window.
andys
AAA

Andy
rd914
OK. Here is my dilemna. I can see that it is getting locked/unlocked with the turn
of a key but I can not open the doors. The outside handle/flapper acts as if it still locked. I have read in other articles that most likely it is the plastic slider inside that is broken.
URY914
QUOTE (rd914 @ Jun 30 2005, 07:43 AM)
OK. Here is my dilemna. I can see that it is getting locked/unlocked with the turn
of a key but I can not open the doors. The outside handle/flapper acts as if it still locked. I have read in other articles that most likely it is the plastic slider inside that is broken.

If you are pulling on the handle and the flapper is moving but the door doesn't open, it is the plastic sliders that are broken.

Once you get inside and the door open, remove the door panel, roll up the window and remove the allen head bolt that holds the front of the handle to the body.

Paul
rd914
Paul,

Thanks for the advise. Problem is that I can't get in the car since both doors have the same problem. Just wondering if you know of another way to open doors without doing too much damage. Thanks.
Gary#
Carefully remove the stationary window & you'll be in in 2 minutes. biggrin.gif
URY914
Yep, take out the little window at the front of the door. wink.gif

Paul
bperry
If the door is unlocked you should be able to insert a "coat hanger" wire
from one side all the way across to the other side door and grab
the inside door latch.

--- bill
Demick
This is a good 914 lesson. If the door handle on one side of the car is broken, don't wait until the other side breaks before deciding it is time to get it fixed. You'll end up locking yourself out of the car.
URY914
You could always wait for your floors to rust out and than reach under and open the door. sad.gif

markb
QUOTE (bperry @ Jun 30 2005, 10:15 AM)
If the door is unlocked you should be able to insert a "coat hanger" wire
from one side all the way across to the other side door and grab
the inside door latch.

--- bill

This is how I've done it before. It only takes a couple of minutes.
redshift
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jun 30 2005, 02:31 PM)
You could always wait for your floors to rust out and than reach under and open the door. sad.gif

Why wait, when you have a saw..

smile.gif

M
Wild 6
I had this problem at the WCC. Get a wedge and gently pry the window out to get some working room. Use a coat hanger to unlock and open the door. It took me less than 2 minutes.

Andy
Trekkor
locked out thread

Patience... dry.gif

KT
Dead Air
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jun 30 2005, 10:31 AM)

[QUOTE]

"this is how I've done it before, it only takes a couple minutes"
lol2.gif lol2.gif
type47fan
QUOTE (Wild 6 @ Jun 30 2005, 04:11 PM)
Get a wedge and gently pry the window out to get some working room. Use a coat hanger to unlock and open the door. It took me less than 2 minutes.

Only had to do this once. . . .embarassing, but easy. Almost too easy. . . .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.