Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Swiss cheese air box
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jays72t
Wanted to share a modification by one of the previous owners, they drilled the sh** out the air box. Car is a stock 1.8, is it a good thing or should I look for a new air box? Sorry for the upside down pic, not sure how to fix.

Jay
74' 1.8

Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
av-943.gif The S*!t people do. headbang.gif

I'm sure that was good for a 10hp bump according to someones brother-in-law. lol-2.gif
jim_hoyland
I have a spare bottom piece; free to you, just cover shipping.
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Sep 25 2019, 05:40 PM) *

I guess it makes a good air filter bypass. confused24.gif
jays72t
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Sep 25 2019, 04:40 PM) *

Thanks for the offer Jim, gotta give you something...will PM you.

Jay
74' 1.8
jays72t
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Sep 25 2019, 03:57 PM) *

av-943.gif The S*!t people do. headbang.gif

I'm sure that was good for a 10hp bump according to someones brother-in-law. lol-2.gif

LOL, my BIL would say 20 evilgrin.gif

Jay
74' 1.8
wes
Just think of the weight savings! (I’m not serious)
jim_hoyland

PM me your address and i’ll Get that in the mail tomorrow.
smile.gif
ndfrigi
I think those holes is to add more air since the snorkel of 1.8 airbox is kinda limit the air.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(jays72t @ Sep 25 2019, 04:50 PM) *

Wanted to share a modification by one of the previous owners, they drilled the sh** out the air box. Car is a stock 1.8, is it a good thing or should I look for a new air box? Sorry for the upside down pic, not sure how to fix.

Jay
74' 1.8

Click to view attachment
jcd914
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 25 2019, 08:09 PM) *

I think those holes is to add more air since the snorkel of 1.8 airbox is kinda limit the air.

This is the reasoning behind the modification, how much if any it helps is probably not known.
Who would bother testing this modification on a 1.8.

Since the holes are all upstream of the filter, they are not letting in dirt.
You probably get more intake noise and the housing is not as strong as it once was.

Jim
jays72t
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Sep 25 2019, 07:26 PM) *

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 25 2019, 08:09 PM) *

This is the reasoning behind the modification, how much if any it helps is probably not known.
Who would bother testing this modification on a 1.8.

Since the holes are all upstream of the filter, they are not letting in dirt.
You probably get more intake noise and the housing is not as strong as it once was.

Jim

Wasn't concerned about dirt, but think all the hot air getting sucked in isn't a good thing.
jays72t
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 25 2019, 07:11 PM) *

QUOTE(jays72t @ Sep 25 2019, 04:50 PM) *

Jay
74' 1.8

Click to view attachment

Thanks for the fix!! FWIW, they did do a nice job drilling the holes in the box, very symmetrical.

Jay
porschetub
No keep it and fit an electric supercharger from ebay also ...big gains av-943.gif av-943.gif .
Garland
Reminds me of flipping over the air cleaner top on an V8, sounded so much faster.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Garland @ Sep 26 2019, 08:48 AM) *

Reminds me of flipping over the air cleaner top on an V8, sounded so much faster.

lol-2.gif I remember that!
Chris H.
QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 26 2019, 03:22 AM) *

No keep it and fit an electric supercharger from ebay also ...big gains av-943.gif av-943.gif .

And stickers...stickers add tons of HP...

Definitely not a good mod, glad you're fixing it. I remember seeing one that extended the snorkel to a cool zone and had a ram-air effect...it actually worked, but only added a few HP to a 2.0. Not worth it.
bbrock
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Sep 26 2019, 08:31 AM) *

Definitely not a good mod, glad you're fixing it. I remember seeing one that extended the snorkel to a cool zone and had a ram-air effect...it actually worked, but only added a few HP to a 2.0. Not worth it.

Where did they stick the inlet to get a ram-air effect? confused24.gif
porschetub
agree.gif interested to see how that would work??
Superhawk996
QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 27 2019, 12:13 AM) *

You won't get meaningful ram air at legal speeds. What will help immensely is cooler intake air.
Chris H.
QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 26 2019, 11:13 PM) *

Down low under the car I think. I’ll try to find it...the goal was to get cooler air into the engine.
bbrock
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Sep 27 2019, 06:20 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 26 2019, 11:13 PM) *

Down low under the car I think. I’ll try to find it...the goal was to get cooler air into the engine.

That's the only place I could think. Seems like the extra length of snorkel and all the bends would defeat any marginal benefit. I'm with @Superhawk996 , I can see trying to find the coolest air, but ram-air seems like a fantasy.

Sorry for the Hi-jack, I have an unhealthy fascination with air box design. Not loving the Swiss cheese. bye1.gif
Firstcar
Here are some details of another members airbox snorkel adventures with a 2.0 airbox. He cut off the original snorkel; blocked off its opening to the lower airbox and made a new snorkel out of plastic downspout. He routed the opening to the driver side engine grill and it seems it did pick up cool air and was effective.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
jays72t
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Sep 25 2019, 06:35 PM) *

PM me your address and i’ll Get that in the mail tomorrow.
smile.gif

What a great community, THANK YOU Jim for sending that out,!! Top notch service, had the box there and didn't even pay him yet.... piratenanner.gif PM coming Jim, sorry for the delay.

Jay
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.