Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A/C system worth
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RolinkHaus
Just curious, what's this system worth? Compressor and bracket included, but not shown. Not sure if compressor works.
Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Hard to say. People are hesitant to cut front floor.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Sep 26 2019, 09:04 AM) *

Hard to say. People are hesitant to cut front floor.

that is a nice system, at least 300
dlee6204
I’d say 200-300 but the dash unit has to be intact and no missing vents, the wiring has to be complete and not cut, and the condenser has to be complete. The old compressor is junk and not worth anything. Any old hoses and the dryer are both trash. .
Superhawk996
Congrats on getting it out of the car! piratenanner.gif
mepstein
I usually give them away. Even that’s a challenge.
Andyrew
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 26 2019, 05:17 PM) *

I usually give them away. Even that’s a challenge.

agree.gif

I trashed mine after storing it for 10 years...
roblav1
I trashed mine from two 911s. No one wanted them.
DickSteinkamp
I would have to say that if you absolutely need an air conditioned car that a 914 shouldn't be on your short list. The dash units were not very attractive and were intrusive, holes need to be cut in the body to run the hoses, the floor needs to be hacked out of the frunk for the condenser, the compressor saps what little power the stock engines have, they are old skool technology and cool only marginally.

Drive your newer car on those hot muggy days and save your 914 for "nice" days.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Sep 27 2019, 12:16 AM) *

I would have to say that if you absolutely need an air conditioned car that a 914 shouldn't be on your short list. The dash units were not very attractive and were intrusive, holes need to be cut in the body to run the hoses, the floor needs to be hacked out of the frunk for the condenser, the compressor saps what little power the stock engines have, they are old skool technology and cool only marginally.

Agree with you completely except on the point of cooling marginally, my teener had a functional R12 system when i bought it. That baby blew cold and there really isn't much cabin volume to cool down in the 1st place. Was amazed that such an old system was still holding charge and worked!.

For those of us in the midwest, by the time you account for the snow days, and the hot muggy days, and the rainy days, that only allows for 15 days a year to drive av-943.gif

I'm not so sure about trashing it. Things have a way of going in circles as tastes change. The A/C is an interesting period piece. I'm still contemplating how to get A/C eventually but with a modern compressor, tubes routed in the tunnel, and proper bulkhead pass through plates.

When I 1st got my Miata, I thought A/c was for whimps. Then I realized how great functional heat and A/C was. Or maybe I just became a whimp. lol-2.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Sep 27 2019, 06:38 AM) *

QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Sep 27 2019, 12:16 AM) *

Agree with you completely except on the point of cooling marginally, my teener had a functional R12 system when i bought it. That baby blew cold and there really isn't much cabin volume to cool down in the 1st place. Was amazed that such an old system was still holding charge and worked!.

For those of us in the midwest, by the time you account for the snow days, and the hot muggy days, and the rainy days, that only allows for 15 days a year to drive av-943.gif

I'm not so sure about trashing it. Things have a way of going in circles as tastes change. The A/C is an interesting period piece. I'm still contemplating how to get A/C eventually but with a modern compressor, tubes routed in the tunnel, and proper bulkhead pass through plates.

When I 1st got my Miata, I thought A/c was for whimps. Then I realized how great functional heat and A/C was. Or maybe I just became a whimp. lol-2.gif

It is completely clear that neither of you live in the Southwest, especially Texas. If you don't have AC, you don't drive 10 months of the year. Betty's car has a functional DPD system in it, and it is driven year round. But the heater is not hooked up. She says she doesn't need it. I plan on putting AC into my 4.0L car. With the 964 alternator, I can run an electric compressor and cut down on the lines running the length of the car.

Oh.. and we don't have a "Newer car" to drive when it gets hot. And the AC in Betty's car will turn you into a popsicle on a 100 degree day.

So don't go dissing the AC systems. They can be made to work quite well with limited power loss on the engine.

Superhawk996
@ClayPerrine

Do you have the original York compressor or have you updated. When I was investigating more seriously a few months ago I was looking at Sanden as a more viable compressor. More efficient, lower parasitic, less weight.

Don't get me wrong, I really want A/C. Just haven't found the right way that suits my needs yet. I just really hate the extremely crude nature of the the dealer conversions.
Beach914
I gave one away out of a 74 a few years ago. Probably not what you want to hear.
Steve
You can buy a new underdash for around $315.00. Most of the original one's have trashed motors, bearings, etc.
https://www.vintageair.com/builder-series/?...at3=Cool%20Only
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Sep 27 2019, 08:12 AM) *

@ClayPerrine

Do you have the original York compressor or have you updated. When I was investigating more seriously a few months ago I was looking at Sanden as a more viable compressor. More efficient, lower parasitic, less weight.

Don't get me wrong, I really want A/C. Just haven't found the right way that suits my needs yet. I just really hate the extremely crude nature of the the dealer conversions.

There is a kit used on the Type IV VW bus to mount a compressor. It's sold by ICEAC in California. It replaces the York boat anchor with a R-134a compatible compressor.

Click to view attachment

We have been running this on Betty's car for years. It works great, and doesn't suck Horsepower like the York. We use the stock DPD evaporator and condenser. I replaced the fan on the condenser with at 10" fan from FLAPS. I also added a 911 SC condenser to the underside of the engine lid with two fans on it. We get really cold AC out of the vents.

rhodyguy
Did the install involve cutting the engine shelve and pass side upper tin? Replacing the belt on the pulley behind the fan shroud looks like a hassle.
mepstein
We have a 911 customer who gets A/C on all his builds - probably about 8 now. He said it's not worth having a car in TX without A/C. Granted, they are all 911 coupes but I get it.
JOEPROPER
agree.gif It depends where you live, but I would pass if it were offered to me for free. I like the simplicity of old cars without creature comforts.
Then again, I don't live in the desert.
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 27 2019, 05:14 AM) *

It is completely clear that neither of you live in the Southwest, especially Texas.

Good point. AC is pretty necessary in many parts of the US if you want to drive your collector car often. We are spoiled here in the PNW. I think I ran the AC in my daily driver about 4 times this past summer. It's easy to forget that it is unbearably more hot and humid in other areas.

I like the idea of an electric powered compressor and new (Vintage Air?) evaporator, condenser, etc. Little power drain on the engine. Fewer holes to cut. Shorter hose routing. Efficient. Maintainable.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Sep 27 2019, 09:46 AM) *

It is completely clear that neither of you live in the Southwest, especially Texas.

Good point. AC is pretty necessary in many parts of the US if you want to drive your collector car often. We are spoiled here in the PNW. I think I ran the AC in my daily driver about 4 times this past summer. It's easy to forget that it is unbearably more hot and humid in other areas.

I like the idea of an electric powered compressor and new (Vintage Air?) evaporator, condenser, etc. Little power drain on the engine. Fewer holes to cut. Shorter hose routing. Efficient. Maintainable.

The electric compressor is workable in my 4.0, considering it has a 180 amp 964 alternator. The factory 50 amp alternator in a /4 won't cut it for an electric compressor. But is a really good idea. All aluminum soldered lines, no rubber hoses, short plumbing runs between the compressor, evaporator, and condenser.

So, unless you have a high output alternator for your /4 or early /6, you will be running down the battery with an electric compressor. Plus they go for about 4K for the 12v models.

mepstein
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 27 2019, 11:32 AM) *

QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Sep 27 2019, 09:46 AM) *

The electric compressor is workable in my 4.0, considering it has a 180 amp 964 alternator. The factory 50 amp alternator in a /4 won't cut it for an electric compressor. But is a really good idea. All aluminum soldered lines, no rubber hoses, short plumbing runs between the compressor, evaporator, and condenser.

So, unless you have a high output alternator for your /4 or early /6, you will be running down the battery with an electric compressor. Plus they go for about 4K for the 12v models.

He makes a high output alternator that plugs right into an early 911 fan. He is working on a system for a 914 and 4 cylinder models like a 912 but I think it will take second fiddle to his 911 system for a while. They seem to be selling every unit they make.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 27 2019, 10:13 AM) *

@ClayPerrine

There is a kit used on the Type IV VW bus to mount a compressor. It's sold by ICEAC in California. It replaces the York boat anchor with a R-134a compatible compressor.

Click to view attachment

We have been running this on Betty's car for years. It works great, and doesn't suck Horsepower like the York. We use the stock DPD evaporator and condenser. I replaced the fan on the condenser with at 10" fan from FLAPS. I also added a 911 SC condenser to the underside of the engine lid with two fans on it. We get really cold AC out of the vents.

@clayperrine

Can you provide photo of your car setup under the fan tray (i.e. bottom view) this looks intriguing and suspect the idler eliminates need to cut tin and part of the engine shelf.
AZBanks
Those who think AC is unnecessary have never spent July and August in Phoenix.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Sep 27 2019, 11:24 AM) *

@ClayPerrine

Click to view attachment

@clayperrine

Can you provide photo of your car setup under the fan tray (i.e. bottom view) this looks intriguing and suspect the idler eliminates need to cut tin and part of the engine shelf.

The hole in the tin, and the shelf mod requirements don't change. It is just a better compressor.

Superhawk996
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 27 2019, 02:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Sep 27 2019, 11:24 AM) *

@ClayPerrine

Click to view attachment

@clayperrine

The hole in the tin, and the shelf mod requirements don't change. It is just a better compressor.

sad.gif

Thanks for clarification Clay. Back to drawing board of putting up top as others have done.

JawjaPorsche
Try driving your teener in Phoenix in 110 degrees with your heater on!

In 1975, my ex wife and I drove our teener from Georgia to California. It vapor locked on Phoenix freeway. State Patrol stopped and said when I do get it started to run heater to pull heat away from badly located fuel pump!

We were cooked but it worked.

Later moved fuel pump to firewall and problem solved.
GaroldShaffer
I have dealer installed AC in my daily driver 914 and yes I drive it rain or shine, hot or cold. It works great, yes you can feel the drag when you kick it on but once going all is good.

As for value I sold good under dash units for $100. Usually people just need parts like the vents and such. As you have seen some don't care for them, for me it is nice to be able to have the option to cool down on the hot muggy days if needed while driving.
Amphicar770
If my 914 did not have AC I would have sold it years ago. I'm too old and grumpy to tolerate the PA humidity without it.

I refurbished my DPD system, new hoses, compressor, etc. The original York compressor is a power robbing boat anchor. I replaced that with a modern rotary compressor. It gets ice cold.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.