Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who sells the hockey puck horn buttons?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
I have a ratty old steering wheel I'm going to restore, wrap, and install in place of my Dino wheel.

I want to put one of the hockey puck horn buttons on it but don't know who sells them or what they are actually called.

Help me find what I am looking for!

Zach
billh1963
Stoddard....if you have the coin

https://www.stoddard.com/901-347-803-00.html.html

rgalla9146
There are originals and repros.
Look on the Early S registry.
Bring money.
Steve
Sierra Madre sells the repro.
https://sierramadrecollection.com/Hockey-Pu...-68-p25257.html
VaccaRabite
Isn’t there a VW version that does not have the Porsche branding and price tag? My plan is to remove the leather center and turn a wood panel to go in there. So paying an extra couple hundred for a crest gets me nothing.

Zach
a71914
I found this on eBay recently.
I haven't purchased one. So, cannot vouch for the quality or authenticity.

https://www.ebay.com/i/173959270512?ul_noapp=true
mepstein
I have a contact for a $200 one. It’s made of aluminum and isn’t an exact match but looks pretty nice. I have two and I’m happy with them. You need to move the internal parts over from your oem horn pad to make it work. If people are interested I’ll get in touch with my guy and place an order. He’s in Poland so shipping takes 10 days/two weeks.
Optimusglen
QUOTE(a71914 @ Sep 27 2019, 08:02 AM) *

I found this on eBay recently.
I haven't purchased one. So, cannot vouch for the quality or authenticity.

https://www.ebay.com/i/173959270512?ul_noapp=true

I have this one, I believe the seller stated that they are repro's and not original equipment (I remember reading that when I bought it anyway, don't see it on his ad now). Either way, I am very pleased with it and the seller.

I started to go the route of making my own, or some variation, but after thinking about the time involved and the entire concept/production process I decided that it was more worth my money/time to just buy one.

For the original post. I don't believe it's the crest that drives the price here, those embossed leather discs are available for around $40 IIRC. The expensive part is the plastic, there's not a huge market for these so manufacturing cost is higher.
ConeDodger
I got everything at 914rubber.com

@Mikey914
Steve
The ebay one is plastic. I think its the same guy that sells them at the Phoenix Club show in So cal.
I bought one at the last Phoenix Club show in so Cal. Can't remember what I paid for it.
Larmo63
I sourced the black plastic main piece from 914 Rubber, the chrome ring (the expensive part) from eBay, and the leather from eBay.

Pretty easy to build, and you don't need the leather if you're going to do wood.
ValcoOscar
Zack-

I have a few done, and I can custom emboss leather with my dies.

PM if interested....super affordable

Oscar
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we too have them and buy them from the guy who makes the best complete with the embossed porsche emblem
porschetub
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 28 2019, 02:40 AM) *

I sourced the black plastic main piece from 914 Rubber, the chrome ring (the expensive part) from eBay, and the leather from eBay.

Pretty easy to build, and you don't need the leather if you're going to do wood.

agree.gif Did the same it wasn't huge money,I put a little felt padding under the leather,it looked and fitted better,pic was taken before I did that.
Steering wheel was double wrapped by the PO.
Click to view attachment
gereed75
Hmmm ...looks like more sources than I thought. Here is another

https://www.zuffenhaus.us/product/911rs-horn-button/

I bought an embossed leather and chrome trim ring from the Ebay guy. Both nice quality. I scored a plastic base from 914 rubber. My understanding was that he only had a few “seconds” left from an abortive attempt to make them. Am I wrong and they have production pieces now ?

What pieces do you have Oscar?

porschetub
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Sep 28 2019, 09:10 AM) *

Hmmm ...looks like more sources than I thought. Here is another

https://www.zuffenhaus.us/product/911rs-horn-button/

I bought an embossed leather and chrome trim ring from the Ebay guy. Both nice quality. I scored a plastic base from 914 rubber. My understanding was that he only had a few “seconds” left from an abortive attempt to make them. Am I wrong and they have production pieces now ?

What pieces do you have Oscar?

My 914 rubber one was a little distorted in shape and the plastic was a slight grey colour,I painted it and it looked heaps better,without question the chrome trim ring is a bit spendy but the one I got appeared to be a factory part or fitted like one.
sixnotfour
chrome was bad love the brass beerchug.gif check key location
ConeDodger
I addd a step to the install. I found that the leather tends to want to come out and looked a little flat. So I cut a piece of upholstery foam and a construction paper disc and glued the three together, then installed. Looks more finished to me...
bigkensteele
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Sep 27 2019, 04:06 AM) *

I have a ratty old steering wheel I'm going to restore, wrap, and install in place of my Dino wheel.

I want to put one of the hockey puck horn buttons on it but don't know who sells them or what they are actually called.

Help me find what I am looking for!

Zach

Here you go:
https://shop.914rubber.com/searchquick-subm...c?keywords=horn

What are the odds you could turn a wood button that would match the 917 knobs you made? I already have the horn base and one of your knobs. My original thought when I bought the puck base was to do a wood button with a small 356 Porsche crest. I still have not abandoned that idea.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Sep 30 2019, 08:04 PM) *

What are the odds you could turn a wood button that would match the 917 knobs you made? I already have the horn base and one of your knobs. My original thought when I bought the puck base was to do a wood button with a small 356 Porsche crest.
I still have not abandoned that idea.

Hey Ken- That is exactly my plan. Well, minus the 356 crest.

Let me make one and get some pictures and I'll post them up if people want em to make more - assuming I can make it cost effective. I think with a 917 knob it would look really sharp.

I was thinking a small ring of maple and most of the center would be Mahogany. In my mind they are flat enough in the center to put on a small crest if someone wanted too.

But I have to get my hands on some of the parts to understand how everything goes together.

Likewise i"m toying with the idea of laminated window crank handles to tie the doors in.

Zach
JOEPROPER
I ordered one from zuffenhaus356 on EBAY. I haven't gotten it yet, but the pictures look great. $275
bigkensteele
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 1 2019, 05:13 AM) *

Hey Ken- That is exactly my plan. Well, minus the 356 crest.
I was thinking a small ring of maple and most of the center would be Mahogany. In my mind they are flat enough in the center to put on a small crest if someone wanted too.
But I have to get my hands on some of the parts to understand how everything goes together.

Zach - want me to send you my base for measurement, fitments and whatnot? I should state up front that I am not sure that this is the same part that Mark currently or sometimes sells. I bought it when he first started making them, and I think mine might be aluminum, but I am not sure. It is currently 237 degrees in my garage, as it normally is on October 1st each year, so I won't spend too much time looking for it unless you want me to send it to you.

I would be very stoked about a maple/mahogany button!!!

@Mikey914 can you confirm that you are still selling the base? If so, what material?
Literati914
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Oct 1 2019, 10:40 PM) *

@Mikey914 can you confirm that you are still selling the base? If so, what material?

I did just buy one from 914Rubber this evening, but Mark indicated that he didn't have many ATM.
Steve
I have the 914 rubber piece and it is plastic. The screws are also not the same as the stock one, which is no big deal. Ended buying a complete plastic one versus sourcing the other parts to make the 914rubber piece work. The 914rubber piece looks good, but I never installed it.
Mikey914
We had 2 and now one. They are plastic.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.