Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: dash cover
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 RZ-1
Anybody have any opinions/experience with dash covers?

I thought I might get one from Coverlay Mfg until I decide to get a nice one from 914 Rubber.

Here's the link: https://coverlaymfg.com/i-11361518-coverlay...dash-cover.html
Larmo63
I've done Coverlays on two different 914s. I know it's the cheapie way to go, but I put them in and forget about it. It's really hard to tell between it and a real dash when it's installed.

I put my money into other (ahem) things.
poorsche914
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Sep 27 2019, 08:13 PM) *
Anybody have any opinions/experience with dash covers?

Go for it. You will love the difference in appearance.
I have one and my only complaint is the sun has warped a section of it. But, unless you look for it, can't really tell. Especially from the driver's seat smile.gif

driving.gif
RolinkHaus
I've been thinking of doing the same. Check this out. It's flocking awesome.

https://youtu.be/9CKsHDOhAZQ
ConeDodger
Have you looked at the 914rubber.com replacement? Like new.
raynekat
I think the OP is trying to save money, so that's why he's not considering a 914 Rubber replacement dashboard. Easy to see (and understand) as the cover is only $131 while the replacement dash is $565.

As long as you're fine with a cover....it's definitely one way to go.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(raynekat @ Sep 28 2019, 12:10 AM) *

I think the OP is trying to save money, so that's why he's not considering a 914 Rubber replacement dashboard. Easy to see (and understand) as the cover is only $131 while the replacement dash is $565.

As long as you're fine with a cover....it's definitely one way to go.

I get that. It’s just too easy to replace and for me, not enough price difference...
Superhawk996
Don't forget the 80s classic option: Monkey Fur carpet dash topper. They were all the rage.

My car was purchased with cover lay type topper on it. When I looked at it quickly the very 1st time it fooled me. Had to look closer and then saw it. Not bad overall for the cost vs new part.
brcacti
I bought a dashmat cover, looks alright if you need pics of it let me know, about $45. Another person also said it looks good.
Chris914n6
2nd on Dash Mat. Cheap, you can hide stuff under it, and it will keep the sun off the new replacement.
RolinkHaus
Has anyone used black rtv to cover up cracks, before painting.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Sep 29 2019, 01:05 AM) *

2nd on Dash Mat. Cheap, you can hide stuff under it, and it will keep the sun off the new replacement.

@Chris914n6
@Brcacti

confused24.gif Sorry guys I hope that didn't come off as condescending toward carpet toppers. That wasn't my intent.

My point was there was another option for carpet type toppers which wasn't on the table in the discussion yet. My buddies and I used to refer to any of the fuzzy dash toppers, sheepskin seat covers (remember those?), or fuzzy steering wheel covers as Monkey Fur - tongue in cheek name.

I actually had one in the 80's and used it to hide my cracked dash that I couldn't afford to fix and carpet topper was the cheapest fix for me. I'm not even sure if Coverlay's were available in the late 80's?

Sorry if I offended anyone using carpet type toppers. confused24.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(RolinkHaus @ Sep 29 2019, 10:35 AM) *

Has anyone used black rtv to cover up cracks, before painting.

Not sure about RTV. I did try one of those vinyl repair kits and I can tell you that didn't work. Never quite looked right and didn't last. It eventually cracked again due to sun and/or temperature swings.

brcacti
Superhawk 996............no offence taken..........I thought you were talking about the loooong shag type carpet that was in style for some time smile.gif
brcacti
Here are pics of my dashmat cover, have had 2 people say they like it, I admit it is not the BEST type of cover buy for the price. $45Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
914 RZ-1
Thanks for all the input!

I currently have a carpet cover and don't like it, but it covers the ugly dash. I'm looking for a long-term temporary replacement and thought a dash cover might be the ticket. I'll eventually get a new dash from 914rubber, but will wait. The price difference is a bit steep.

I was more concerned with the particular company selling it; do they have a good product, a good reputation and is that price typical?
ssuperflyoldguy
Where does one get a carpet topper (in black)?

QUOTE(brcacti @ Sep 29 2019, 09:03 AM) *

Here are pics of my dashmat cover, have had 2 people say they like it, I admit it is not the BEST type of cover buy for the price. $45Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

sixnotfour
a member, was making CF replacements, I had em do 2 in clear fiberglass.....it is very well made with mounting brackets and all....price was in the middle range... just another example... beerchug.gif
sb914
Someone say carbon fiber!Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
I've sold several of them over the years, and everyone has been satisfied. Most of the guys didn't even glue them. Great value
Literati914
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Oct 1 2019, 09:31 AM) *

... Most of the guys didn't even glue them. Great value

What IS the glueing in procedure exactly, anyway? I have one (coverlay brand) - not sure if I'm gonna use it or upholster the original dash... or maybe just upholster the cover instead idea.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Oct 1 2019, 05:29 PM) *

What IS the glueing in procedure exactly, anyway? I have one (coverlay brand) - not sure if I'm gonna use it or upholster the original dash... or maybe just upholster the cover instead idea.gif

The good ones don't really need glue. They just sort of snap on then you leave them in the sun a bit and they snug up even more. The really cheap, thin ones need glue to stay on.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 1 2019, 07:38 PM) *

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Oct 1 2019, 05:29 PM) *

The good ones don't really need glue. They just sort of snap on then you leave them in the sun a bit and they snug up even more. The really cheap, thin ones need glue to stay on.

Double face tape
porschetub
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Sep 30 2019, 04:37 AM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Sep 29 2019, 01:05 AM) *

@Chris914n6
@Brcacti

confused24.gif Sorry guys I hope that didn't come off as condescending toward carpet toppers. That wasn't my intent.

My point was there was another option for carpet type toppers which wasn't on the table in the discussion yet. My buddies and I used to refer to any of the fuzzy dash toppers, sheepskin seat covers (remember those?), or fuzzy steering wheel covers as Monkey Fur - tongue in cheek name.

I actually had one in the 80's and used it to hide my cracked dash that I couldn't afford to fix and carpet topper was the cheapest fix for me. I'm not even sure if Coverlay's were available in the late 80's?

Sorry if I offended anyone using carpet type toppers. confused24.gif

I have carpet topper and it stays atleast in the summer,my dash is perfect and I want it to stay that way,we have very high UV rating in my country,I think they are pretty ugly...monkey fur av-943.gif laugh.gif .
Mikey914
Carpet topper is your easiest best bang for the $.

The coverlay is not bad, I used silicone glue to hold it in place. The biggest problem I had was that I could tell the grain and knew it was there. Other than that looked good.

Of course there is the new dash option, but it's a matter of priorities.
ValcoOscar
Hey Jeff-

Lots of choices, but let me know if and when you decide to go with 914Rubber dash.
My personal record time on replacing a dash is 2:15. This was recently for local member @second wind

It will cost you a beer3.gif though.

Oscar
mepstein
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Oct 2 2019, 11:33 AM) *

Hey Jeff-

Lots of choices, but let me know if and when you decide to go with 914Rubber dash.
My personal record time on replacing a dash is 2:15. This was recently for local member @second wind

It will cost you a beer3.gif though.

Oscar

Funny, it takes me about that long just to remove one.

I will say that the 914rubber dash is very nice. You won't regret spending the money.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.