Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-4 GTK - K is for Kompressor - Bringing a supercharged 914 back to life
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
poorsche914
I first laid eyes on this 914 3-1/2 years ago and told the PO "I want this car". drooley.gif
Things finally fell into place and this beauty now sits in my driveway aktion035.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvUZ_WM_NEg

SPECS:
Factory GT flares
914-6 suspension, brakes, steering column and ignition
2.0L with Supercharger (Jay Richardson built in the late '80s)
Twin plug heads (not connected at this point)
15" Fuchs - I believe they are 7" & 8"

This 914 has been discussed here and here in the past. If you have any information concerning this car (VIN 4732922153) or the supercharged engine, please contact me via PM.

More pics to come. Delivered tonight at dusk.
Has some rough spots from sitting for a few years but will be a fun project.

driving.gif
trojanhorsepower
Fantastic! Congrats Steve
raynekat
Great looking! Fun delivery.
JOEPROPER
wub.gif Looks like a lot of fun there. piratenanner.gif
mepstein
Awesome!!!
914-300Hemi
Nice looking car. Congrats
poorsche914
Thanks for all the comments. I am looking forward to bringing this 914 back to life. It has been out of commission for something like 25 years... at least!

...some content deleted - figured it out...

In process of swapping out old carb for new.
Homemade adapter plate - supercharger to carb.
Click to view attachment

driving.gif
Tdskip
Congratulations,
ClayPerrine
Have you thought about something like Megasquirt instead of a carb?

914forme
agree.gif would make driving the dual plugs, and fueling requirements so much easier. And it would then allow for an air to liquid intercooler setup.

Or you could run water / methanol injection also.

Congrats on the purchase
poorsche914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 28 2019, 09:45 PM) *
Have you thought about something like Megasquirt instead of a carb?

Absolutley! I actually bought a used Megasquirt system before I purchased the car (planning ahead happy11.gif )

I want to get it running first and sort out whatever issues crop up before attempting the MS conversion. And, yeah... running the twin plug setup is my goal.

My LE will remain my nice weather daily driver and this 914 will be my weekend fun car.

I may need to find a second job to support my habit dry.gif

driving.gif
ValcoOscar
Congrats Steve beerchug.gif

Check your mailbox in the coming days.

Beautiful car.

Oscar
JFJ914
Looks good, Steve!
80’s old school
Pictures please! I want to see this supercharger!

I see the link you attached. It leaves me wanting to see more. How cool!
poorsche914
QUOTE(80’s old school @ Sep 29 2019, 12:07 PM) *
Pictures please! I want to see this supercharger!

I see the link you attached. It leaves me wanting to see more. How cool!

Pictures coming soon. It has been a busy weekend.

driving.gif
Johny Blackstain
Congrats Steve! aktion035.gif cool_shades.gif
preach
Very cool. I am planning a FI supercharged motor myself. Looking forward to updates!
ClayPerrine
I wanted a supercharger for the 4.0L motor. Betty told me "NO!".

blink.gif sad.gif hissyfit.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 29 2019, 08:19 PM) *

Do you really need more than 350hp in a 914?
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 29 2019, 06:08 PM) *

I know a guy who went from 500hp to 750hp and last we talked was thinking about going up to 1000hp.
wacko.gif

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 29 2019, 08:08 PM) *

YES!

It currently has 420HP (not verified). The 993/964 Supercharger Kit utilizes the Eaton, positive displacement supercharger to generate 50% more power over stock. That would put me somewhere in the neighborhood of 630HP. wacko.gif

Eaton 964/993 supercharger kit

But the kit is 15K, and I would have to modify it to fit a 914 anyway.... so I am not going to do it.

But it would be fun to have..... idea.gif

mepstein
I see a future COTM.
ClayPerrine
That is really cool.. I can't wait to hear it run.

Next Okteenerfest?

Clay
ValcoOscar
SWEET!!!!!!!

309.gif

Oscar
poorsche914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 30 2019, 02:24 PM) *
Next Okteenerfest?

Absolutely!

Had to JBWeld one of the mounting studs on the carb plate adapter so, while waiting for that to set, decided to decode the Karmann badge... Tenth 914 built on Thursday, May 17, 1973 sunglasses.gif

driving.gif
poorsche914
I've been doing some digging on the history of this car and the furthest back I have gotten is the late '80s.

Late '80s:
Powered by a 3.2 six. It was also around this time that @ablesnead installed the factory GT flares. At some point, he traded the 914 to Jay Richardson of RPM in Daytona for a 911.
Early '90s:
Supercharged, twin plug engine installed. Built from a '73 or '74 case GA006453. So... not the engine featured in VW&P. How many of these RPM supercharged engines are out there? confused24.gif
June '93: Sold to Edward J Matthews of New York (anyone know him?)
November '94: Sold to @lrm914 who owned it for over 20 years. When he bought it, it was set up as a race car - gutted interior, rear trunk floor gone, fuel cell, etc. Over time, he restored it to a street driver. I have been in contact with him and he is going to send me photos of the restoration and other info he has on this 914.
May 2016: purchased by my neighbor
September 2019: purchased by me biggrin.gif

Hell hole repaired at some point:
Click to view attachment

Cutouts for oil tank - evidence of running a six at some point:
Click to view attachment

Rear trunk floor replaced with metal sheet:
Click to view attachment

Cut section of the frunk:
Click to view attachment

Hard to see but front section is cut for an oil cooler. Stock style front valence covers this:
Click to view attachment

Muffler:
Click to view attachment

driving.gif
Mblizzard
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Sep 30 2019, 10:56 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 30 2019, 02:24 PM) *
Next Okteenerfest?

Absolutely!

Had to JBWeld one of the mounting studs on the carb plate adapter so, while waiting for that to set, decided to decode the Karmann badge... Tenth 914 built on Thursday, May 17, 1973 sunglasses.gif

driving.gif

Bring it to me and I can weld it instead of JB.

As a note, we I did this back in the 80's, we used a single 4-bbl carb. I wonder how one of the self contained EFI carb/FI systems would work on this?
poorsche914
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Oct 2 2019, 01:08 PM) *
Bring it to me and I can weld it instead of JB.

As a note, we I did this back in the 80's, we used a single 4-bbl carb. I wonder how one of the self contained EFI carb/FI systems would work on this?

Already JBWelded and installed. smile.gif

That self-contained unit looks interesting - will research that. Would definitely make for an easier install than Megasquirt!

driving.gif
poorsche914
After getting the carb installed, found out the engine was seized sad.gif
Would only turn half a rotation.

Soaked the cylinders in Seafoam Deep Creep while draining the oil. Over half gallon of water came out icon8.gif Once drained, added fresh oil and a new filter along with new spark plugs and battery. Wasn't long before I was able to rotate the engine fully.

Engine now cranks but has no spark. dry.gif
My question is... does that black plastic piece pull off? I have tried with light pressure and it isn't budging.

Click to view attachment

If that module is bad (anyone know what type it is?) or even if it isn't, I'd like to replace with points just to get it running.

driving.gif
TravisNeff
I remember reading about these engines in vwporsche mag. I think the is from a Nissan 720 pickup
poorsche914
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Oct 14 2019, 11:37 PM) *
I remember reading about these engines in vwporsche mag. I think the is from a Nissan 720 pickup

The Nissan distributors were used for the twin plug setup. This engine has the twin plug heads but is currently not hooked up.
The distributor itself is probably a 009 with some type of electronic ignition setup. I tried to remove the black disk but it wouldn't budge. I don't want to tear it up and was hoping someone had some insight on this particular unit.
After work today I will try again to remove the disk and module so I can replace with points and condenser. If it won't come off, I have another distributor I can use.

driving.gif
Mblizzard
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Oct 15 2019, 04:06 AM) *

QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Oct 14 2019, 11:37 PM) *

The Nissan distributors were used for the twin plug setup. This engine has the twin plug heads but is currently not hooked up.
The distributor itself is probably a 009 with some type of electronic ignition setup. I tried to remove the black disk but it wouldn't budge. I don't want to tear it up and was hoping someone had some insight on this particular unit.
After work today I will try again to remove the disk and module so I can replace with points and condenser. If it won't come off, I have another distributor I can use.

driving.gif

Looks like a ring for magnets for Hall effect sensors. Should come off. Use WD-40 for lube and a heat gun on low to warm it up. Not too hot but pretty warm and it should come off.
poorsche914
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Oct 15 2019, 08:36 AM) *
Looks like a ring for magnets for Hall effect sensors. Should come off. Use WD-40 for lube and a heat gun on low to warm it up. Not too hot but pretty warm and it should come off.

Thanks, Mike. Will give that a try.

driving.gif
ClayPerrine
That is an aftermarket magnet ring for an electronic ignition system that is no longer sold. The company went out of business. I have one in a distributor in my spare parts cache.

The ring should lift off of the distributor shaft. If it doesn't fire, it is either bad or not hooked up right.

Clay
poorsche914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 15 2019, 08:40 AM) *
That is an aftermarket magnet ring for an electronic ignition system that is no longer sold. The company went out of business. I have one in a distributor in my spare parts cache.

The ring should lift off of the distributor shaft. If it doesn't fire, it is either bad or not hooked up right.

Clay

Thanks, Clay. No spark so going to replace it with points and condenser.

driving.gif
rhodyguy
Is that a Jacobs pointless conversion? Double check if that's a 009 distributor.
poorsche914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 16 2019, 01:27 PM) *
Is that a Jacobs pointless conversion? Double check if that's a 009 distributor.

No idea what brand. The black disk has four magnets. The distributor is a stock one (I think the last few numbers were 009) with FI trigger points and vacuum can removed.

Any idea how to test that (Jacobs?) unit? Hate to toss it if it can be used. Is it even worth saving?

driving.gif
mkinne
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Oct 14 2019, 03:43 PM) *

Click to view attachment

If that module is bad (anyone know what type it is?) or even if it isn't, I'd like to replace with points just to get it running.

driving.gif

That looks like a CompuFire unit.
Still available - https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...ode=C22%2D21101

The magnet disk should pull straight up/off with little effort unless someone glued it in place.

I've had one in my car >15 yrs.
No issues other than when the sticker on the module pealed off, dropped down thru the dizzy, and landed between the injector points headbang.gif

-M
poorsche914
QUOTE(mkinne @ Oct 16 2019, 02:38 PM) *
That looks like a CompuFire unit.

The magnet disk should pull straight up/off with little effort unless someone glued it in place.

I've had one in my car >15 yrs.
No issues other than when the sticker on the module pealed off, dropped down thru the dizzy, and landed between the injector points headbang.gif

-M

Thanks. I have removed it. Will try to figure out if it is still working at some point.

driving.gif
poorsche914
Got it running today. Running very rich.
I believe I have the timing about where it needs to be. Now I just need to adjust the carb. May need a different jet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxvSGhPtupo

driving.gif
DRPHIL914
Congratulations!!! Fun project!
Maltese Falcon
Unless there is a way that the original designer provided enrichment-during-boost...might be running a bit on the rich side as a preventive measure to offset lean condition when the boost comes in.
Also , did that dizzy contain dual points ? Kit builders in the '80s used dual points with each set at different dwell angles. Combined with a 5 psi Hobbs pressure switch, the first set of points cut off---allowing the second set (slightly retards the timing) to activate...also preventive of pre-ignition occuring during boost.
poorsche914
The distributor on the engine had a pointless system in it. It was not giving any spark so I swapped it out with a setup I had.

I always planned on converting to Megasquirt (actually bought a used system before I purchased the car!) ... may do that sooner than I had planned if I can't get it to run well on this carb.

driving.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Oct 19 2019, 06:10 PM) *

The distributor on the engine had a pointless system in it. It was not giving any spark so I swapped it out with a setup I had.

I always planned on converting to Megasquirt (actually bought a used system before I purchased the car!) ... may do that sooner than I had planned if I can't get it to run well on this carb.

driving.gif

DO IT, much easier to tune a forced induction set up with efi. Intercooling with a carb is not-productive (unless running a sealed blow-through carb) which looks impossible with a top carb mount on the blower.
Liquid injection (H2o/ alc) is your only real alternative to charge cooling with a draw-through carb system.
poorsche914
Well... got it running a bit smoother today but it is running EXTREMELY rich blink.gif
I've gone through over 3 gallons of gas this weekend just firing it up and running it in the driveway! wacko.gif

Again... sorry for the blurry image... broken phone cam.
Click to view attachment

I'm giving serious thought to pulling the supercharger setup for now and installing a stock D-jet system just so I can drive the car during east TN fall weather driving.gif
poorsche914

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDbVgTY7a_s

Actually drove it about half mile down the road and back. Found out it won't stay in third gear dry.gif Minor issue...

Still need to find the correct carb settings. Idles OK but sputters a bit around 4k or so. From what I've read, need a smaller idle jet since I have the mixture screw only about 1/2 turn out and recommended is 2 to 2-1/2.
Another mounting stud pulled loose so may very well have a vacuum leak at the base of the carb. Will fix that and then continue with adjustments.

driving.gif
914forme
If you have the base plate it is easy to get it into CAD and then cut out on a CNC Plasma Cutter, WaterJet, or Laser Cutter. Then just add the studs, and a bit of lactate green and you're done. done right done once, more time to driving.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 22 2019, 09:41 PM) *
If you have the base plate it is easy to get it into CAD and then cut out on a CNC Plasma Cutter, WaterJet, or Laser Cutter. Then just add the studs, and a bit of lactate green and you're done. done right done once, more time to driving.gif

Can I borrow your CNC Plasma Cutter/Waterjet/Laser Cutter? happy11.gif
JBweld didn't hold up so I will have my son-in-law weld the studs in for me. welder.gif
Since I have absolutely no idea what jets to use with this supercharger setup, and the engine must have run "properly" at some point in its life confused24.gif I have decided to set the new carb aside and rebuild the original Weber. It is gunked up pretty good so needs cleaned and a rebuild kit at the very least.

driving.gif
djway
Have you considered welding in an O2 bung and use it with a wideband meter? It really helped me repair my old fuel injection when I needed to set the mixture.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.