Manfred is getting a fuel cell....it's used so no stoopid book.... blink.gif

Anybody have any BTDT stuff and pics?
d914
-8 for the vent/check valve
-6 for inlet
had steel frame below with aluminum cross pieces top
Joe Bob
Thanks for the pic... pray.gif

Do you run braided line all the way back to the fuel pump? Where do you route the vent? Do you a PV on the end?
Howard
Mike, here's mine on the V8. PO installed, but when I had a question their tech support is very good. You can take a look at mine tomorrow.
FeulSafe
brant
Mike,

it requires a tad bit more cutting... and bit more fab work,
but you can cut through the stock tank area and back the cell up to the sway bar...

you have to cut through the curved bottom of the trunk and the tank gets real close to the aluminum or steel lower crossmember.

this also requires making up a new lower pan to cover the crossmember, but that is really just an opportunity to make it from alloy instead of the stock heavy steel one.

When we did ours, we were able to get the floor flat enough that the tank mounts directly onto the floor.
this will save a bit of weight over having to make a flat lower mounting pad....

brant
another:
d914
I ran push lock to the pump, where the old tank was and ss to the carbs.

vent ended where you saw it with a rollover check valve. Mounted so it was vertical.

I still have that piece and the log fuel filters with ss filters.
Rand
Dang Brant, that car is sweet. It's been a while since I looked at your threads, now I'm salivating all over again. On this topic, I love how your fuel cell is mounted so low... the lower the weight the better. Nice job.
smilie_pokal.gif
brant
Thanks a ton for the kind words Rand.
the tank is low and its back as much as I could get it...
but I know there is a debate about having it in the stock-ish location so that it doesn't create any change in weight-corner-balance-front to rear as you go through a session...

everything is a trade off I guess, but I'm really happy with the tank and wouldn't change it if I had to do it over.

regarding plumbing.
Mike, we ran the same solid steel brake lines through the tunnel that people commonly use. We ran Stainless fromt he cell to the steel tunnel line. We were told by our builder-advisor that there is a VERY special hoseclamp to use on stainless line. I bought them from him and only used this special hoseclamp. I can't remember the details but it is made somewhat different. Then at the engine bay where the steel line exits the tunnel, we again used the special hoseclamps to go back to stainless. Then stainless to the fuel rails/carbs.

Also.. serioulsy consider a return line and set up. It promotes horsepower and the recirculatory set up gives you cooler fuel. We went so far as to run heat shield on all of our fuel lines in the engine bay.

The vent is simple..
ours just goes down through the floor of the front trunk
we put foam into the vent line to prevent dirt backing up into the valve. We also dumped our vent line behind the valance where it is covered up and not as likely to be burried in dirt.

brant
drew365
Brant; how much taller is your fuel cell over the sway bar. Do you think that making a custom cell that stepped over the sway bar so it could sit further back would be worth the trouble? I'm planning on doing what you did eventually.
Joe Bob
QUOTE (d914 @ Jun 30 2005, 12:22 PM)
I ran push lock to the pump, where the old tank was and ss to the carbs.

vent ended where you saw it with a rollover check valve. Mounted so it was vertical.

I still have that piece and the log fuel filters with ss filters.

Hmmm, can you PM me with a price...?

Thanks for all the helpful posts everyone.
brant
QUOTE (drew365 @ Jun 30 2005, 05:45 PM)
Brant; how much taller is your fuel cell over the sway bar. Do you think that making a custom cell that stepped over the sway bar so it could sit further back would be worth the trouble? I'm planning on doing what you did eventually.

I'm going to dad's house this weekend and can measure it drew.

but I think its only about 1.5 inches... not much anyways.

I don't think it would really be worth it.
because only the top couple of gallons would even be moved rearward. Plus I doubt that I will hardly ever run the cell that full.

I went with a 15gallon cell, because we have 2 drivers..
if it was a 12 gallon cell I don't think the cell would be above the bar..

brant
carr914
Heres mine

T.C.
brant
Mike Z,

I'm really glad you kept the car.
you will love it..

so it sounds like you have the cell
what else does it need for you to get out and hit the track with it.
are you considering that laguna even in the fall?

I'm hoping to win lotto and get the time off to come out for it.
would be real need to drive there and to put faces with all these names.

brant
Joe Bob
Yeah...that's about all it needs to be accepted at most vintage and SCCA events....

Now I need a unisync for the carbs....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.