Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.8 oil preasure regulating valve
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jb57tub
Looking at my recently obtained 1.8 ltr case, I don't find the oil relief set up on the side of the case just under the oil breather. Am I to understand this has just been deleted since the earlier case halves, ( early 1.7 case)? #s 24, 25, 26, 27, in the Haynes workshop manual, Fig. 1.24 Lubrication system-component parts? Just wondering. Thank you Jon
Superhawk996
welcome.png

Welcome Jon. I see no one has responded to your post. Bottom line post some pictures for clarity and you'll get a much better response.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

I don't have a Haynes manual in front of me, it's somewhere in the garage, and I'm not going to go hunting for it - I'm betting others are in the same boat.

If you are talking about the oil pressure relief valve, it should be there. It was never deleted. Otherwise you are always bypassing the oil cooler. Not a good thing. Probably removed by an ill informed previous owner.

There should be a spring and a small piston in there under the larger slotted screw.
Tbrown4x4
All type 4 cases are dual relief cases. There should be one near the flywheel end and one below the oil filter mounting pad.

Is yours just missing the internals, or can't you find the slotted plugs?
Bleyseng
I thought 75-76 cases don't have the side oil relief to increase the oil pressure to the bottom end as the cases were modified for the buses going to hydro lifers
Tbrown4x4
I have a '76-'77 (GD code) van case and it has dual reliefs and hydraulic lifters.
jb57tub
QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Sep 30 2019, 11:29 AM) *

I have a '76-'77 (GD code) van case and it has dual reliefs and hydraulic lifters.

I have found the hole which is about 3/4ths of the way down the case. It has a threaded plug in it about 1/2 in deep, which would probably take a 10 mm bolt in it. But even if I got the plug out, I don't see any setup for a preasure relief setup on the back side of it. Would this describe a bus case which uses hydraulic valve set up. This was sold to me as a 1.8 case on this site. Hope I'm not screwed on this. Jon
porschetub
Don't know of any factory 1.8 motors running hydraulic lifters but someone may have converted it,if you can show a few pics with engine number you will get a better response,cheers.
jcd914
The 914 never got hydraulic cam & lifters from the factory in any engines.

The type 4 engines used in the 914 came both with or without the second oil pressure relief valve and all were solid lifter engines.
So if you have any 914 engine case it was designed for solid lifters.

If you have a bus engine it won't have the dipstick tube and it will have a large hole in the lower front of the case where the oil filler tube bolts up.

And I am pretty sure you can use solid lifters & cam in a hydraulic cam case. Solid lifters don't need as much oil as hydraulic lifters.

Jim
Tbrown4x4
What's the case code? That would tell us a lot about the origin of the case.

Case code and pictures are needed. Your side plug should have a sealing washer, plunger, spring, and another on the bottom of the case under the oil filter mounting pad, parts 20-23 on your Haynes Fig. 1.24

Each one should have a spring and a plunger inside.
jb57tub
QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Oct 1 2019, 02:29 AM) *

What's the case code? That would tell us a lot about the origin of the case.

Case code and pictures are needed. Your side plug should have a sealing washer, plunger, spring, and another on the bottom of the case under the oil filter mounting pad, parts 20-23 on your Haynes Fig. 1.24

Each one should have a spring and a plunger inside.

Case codes S1 12 004 101.101A and S1 12 004 101.102A . The case halve with the relief valve is in the one with 004 101.1012. That is where the access is plugged. There is one system there , the bottom one, but Not the one with the side plug, etc., I could text pics to someone if someone might be interested to help. I took all of those parts out my early 1.7 crankcase that was broken, this is why I am somewhat familiar with the case. If there were cases made without the second relief valve, and it uses solid lifters, there is No problem. The help on this site is why I enjoy the 914 community. Jon
Dave_Darling
Not all 914 engines had the second oil pressure relief valve. Some don't have the bore at all. I don't remember which ones did and which did not, though.

BTW, the "case code" that Tbrown4x4 was asking for would be one or two letters and then a bunch of numbers. It is stamped on top of the case in one of a couple of different locations.

The most likely one:
IPB Image

The two-liter engines and most VWs were here:
IPB Image

--DD
jb57tub
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 1 2019, 11:53 AM) *

Not all 914 engines had the second oil pressure relief valve. Some don't have the bore at all. I don't remember which ones did and which did not, though.

BTW, the "case code" that Tbrown4x4 was asking for would be one or two letters and then a bunch of numbers. It is stamped on top of the case in one of a couple of different locations.

The most likely one:
IPB Image

The two-liter engines and most VWs were here:
IPB Image

--DD

Thank you to all for your help! We have determined the second relief system was never put in from the factory! Tbrown4x4 went above and beyond with me via text pics to verify what I have. Thank you 'Dave Darling' for your expert help also. This is a special site full great individuals. Jon
Tbrown4x4
I started spreading internet lies, so I had to dig in and make it right. I was quoting Tom Wilson's book, which stated ALL Type 4 cases had dual relief.
And to be fair, all my 1.7L cases have dual reliefs.

I had a 1.8 914 case, and a 2.0 van case and neither had the second relief machined. The hole was there, but not drilled into the oil galley or threaded for a plug.

jcd914 and Dave were spot on.

Superhawk996
Wow -- Learned something from this post. piratenanner.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.