Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: most obscure 914 part
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
type47
OK here's one for ya!

in the course of putting a 914 together, i know we've all searched for that little unique part that is found on no other car and there is only one (or two or three) used on a 914. for instance, i was installing the thermostat cable roller on the engine case today and had to search for the bolt that the roller spins on. the parts catalog lists it as 271.821.767 and only calls it a 6mm bolt but it's more than that, it has a "bushing" like part of the bolt for tight clearance for the hole in the roller.

my second listing is for the bumper on the engine lid that protects the lid from hitting the trunk when the trunk is opened.

so.... what little unique part(s) do you look for at the bottom of all those parts bins when you go to the swap meets? i don't mean to create competition, just a thread that is a little informative, and can be used to recycle some of those hard to find parts back into the mainstream.

it might help to list a description of the part and maybe part number.

yes, i am following a 12 point program...... biggrin.gif
skline
This is a good idea, I part out a lot of cars and knowing what is hard to get or find could be a good thing for me as well as others. I think a rust free hell hole is the hardest to find but you are talking removeable parts. I will watch this thread and learn what is hard to find and start keeping all I find and pass them to people who need them.
larryp
There is a bumper that fits on the engine lid to keep the engine lid from hitting an opened trunk?

Crap. Now I need something else?
ArtechnikA
accelerator pedal box hand throttle bellcrank
hand throttle lever -- 914.424.792.01
(actually half-a-dozen related parts...)
heater control lever -- 914.424.073.00
transmission-mounted throttle bellcrank
914.6 rear caliper, R+L
914.6 muffler

all i can come up with off the top of my head...
Katmanken
I've been looking for a

94.501.004.11 Zsb. Karrosserie-Rohbau getauch, entdrohnt, abgedichetel

and some

914.361.902.00 Platten-Steg-Kette geteilt, Satz =2 Stuck

I know they're extremely rare.

Does anybody have any? happy11.gif

That's one of those factory "blank bodies, primered, sound protected and sealed....."

And coupla snow chains (gota have factory numbers on em....)

Rusty
Early window channel end caps.

Rubber seals for the engine lid.

Vintage recall campaign stickers.
jimtab
How about the "tuner chip" said to increase 2.0 4cyl hp to 190 and beyond, it's apparently made of a material called unobtainum...I need at least one..... happy11.gif
brer
that little round lock cam for the front trunk lock.

mine fell out and it took me two weeks to find it again!
Then i didn't know what the hell it was or where it went. blink.gif
ovilla
How about the 3mm hex bolt assembly that holds the end of the accelerator cable on a 1.8? I was sweating it out the other day when I couldn't find the damn thing. Also, intake manifold gaskets. Almost every aftermarket catalog place does not carry these. Finally, the screw/cap that holds the relay board cover in place. I need two of these so someone speak up if you have two of these laying around. Thanks
McMark
QUOTE (ovilla @ Jun 30 2005, 09:41 PM)
How about the 3mm hex bolt assembly that holds the end of the accelerator cable on a 1.8? I was sweating it out the other day when I couldn't find the damn thing. Also, intake manifold gaskets. Almost every aftermarket catalog place does not carry these. Finally, the screw/cap that holds the relay board cover in place. I need two of these so someone speak up if you have two of these laying around. Thanks

The 3mm bolt assembly is called a barrel nut or cable stop. Any decent VW shop should have one. Intake gaskets should be available from all the major parts places. At Pelican for example.

The relay board cover nut should be reproduced by somebody. Cut some stock on a lathe and tap it. Mueller, go a working lathe? wink.gif
boxstr
I collect the little plastic cups that fill the rear trunk floor holes. Also the tow hooks. Uncracked fuse panel covers.
CCLINSWAPMEETMANIA
ClayPerrine
The plugs that go in the panel behind the front bumper.

The little special screw that holds the trim plate around the door handle.

The adapter harness to connect a 72 wiring harness to a /6 relay board (Only used on 72 914-6s. They used a 4 cylinder wiring harness in the car, and a 6 cylinder relay board. Thus the adapter harness)

michel richard
The little switch under the hand brake handle, which turns th brake warning light off when you lower the handle all the way.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (michel richard @ Jul 1 2005, 07:56 AM)
The little switch under the hand brake handle, which turns th brake warning light off when you lower the handle all the way.

Exact same as the door jamb switch. You can get them from any VW parts place. Used in practically every VW for years.........
tat2dphreak
the little pieces on the engine tin that keep hold on the flapper bar? confused24.gif and if you have an extra pair of these, let me know.
rhodyguy
wayne, do you mean the 2 screws that retain the the little tabs on the bar?

k
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Jul 1 2005, 09:26 AM)
wayne, do you mean the 2 screws that retain the the little tabs on the bar?

k

no, I mean the little tab...

#11 in this, I think:

IronHillRestorations
The black plastic horseshoe pieces that go on either side of the -6 steering column.

Chrome bumper plugs.

The clear plastic plugs for the engine lid drain tube holes.

The clips for the rear of the sail panel trim piece.

The nylon spring bushings for the upper rear trunk latch.

I'll second the "any hand trottle parts".

2.0 head with no cracks (not asking for much eh??)

Side shifter transmission tail housings.

Original side shifter with factory ltd slip.

I'm running out of time, more than I'm running out of "needs"! laugh.gif
Dr Evil
The hardware to hold the pedal board on. I have never been able to find this stuff so my board just sits there.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Jul 1 2005, 02:05 PM)
The hardware to hold the pedal board on. I have never been able to find this stuff...

did you try a dealer?

i bought a set from Stoddard less than a year ago...
Andyrew
I um... used a 11 dolar rubber fuel pump mount thing....

lol

that and piece of steel with a hole in it...

werks good to hold down my pedal board.. lol
JmuRiz
QUOTE (type47 @ Jun 30 2005, 09:00 AM)
my second listing is for the bumper on the engine lid that protects the lid from hitting the trunk when the trunk is opened.

agree.gif
And the little piece that goes on the door at the rear end of the window slot.
URY914
I would say it would the "916" numbers on the back of the cars. wink.gif

Paul
Dr Evil
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Jul 1 2005, 11:12 AM)
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Jul 1 2005, 02:05 PM)
The hardware to hold the pedal board on. I have never been able to find this stuff...

did you try a dealer?

i bought a set from Stoddard less than a year ago...

Ya, I can get most anything from a dealer, but what was the approx $$$?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Jul 1 2005, 02:46 PM)
I can get most anything from a dealer, but what was the approx $$$?

a lot of the stuff we've been talking about in this thread has been NLA through any distribution channel for 20+ years...

but the pedal board retainers (also used in 911's...) were cheap - certainly less than $10.

IIRC the 914 parts use a small through-bolt into a captive nut, but in the 911 application there is a welded stud (at least on the pax side). i got a nice metric stainless acorn nut so it makes a smooth feel and appearance. i don't much believe in carpet, and runn the Rennline pedal boards naked ...
SGB
I can't find the rear brake caliper clearance adjuster screw COVER anywhere.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (SGB @ Jul 1 2005, 04:16 PM)
I can't find the rear brake caliper clearance adjuster screw COVER anywhere.

inside one or outside?

inside is still available... and you can use a short bolt...
SGB
outside- I got the repro ones for inside.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.