Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: special greece for electrical connections?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brcacti
Someone told me of a special electrical connection greece, what do you all think of it, should I get it and put it on my ground from the battery to the body?
brcacti
Someone told me of a special electrical connection greece, what do you all think of it, should I get it and put it on my ground from the battery to the body?
Beebo Kanelle
Dielectric Grease.
Beebo Kanelle
Dielectric Grease.
90quattrocoupe
Dielectric grease is an insulator.

I prefer this stuff.

IPB Image

A special
johnhora
sort of like the discussion of which oil to use

https://www.w8ji.com/dielectric_grease_vs_c...tive_grease.htm

biggrin.gif
bretth
I used dielectric grease on my battery terminal once and it actually caused a bad connection. Car would start like crap until I cleaned it all off and reattached the battery terminal.
sholman5
Do not use dielectric grease on battery terminals. GOOGLE it. Try lithium grease.
tom.esh
The auto electric shop near me uses regular Axle bearing grease on the battery terminals when they install new batteries.
GregAmy
QUOTE(Beebo Kanelle @ Sep 29 2019, 02:52 PM) *

Dielectric Grease.

QUOTE(Beebo Kanelle @ Sep 29 2019, 02:49 PM) *

Dielectric Grease.

biggrin.gif

I use dielectric on pretty much everything I do. Well, electrically, anyway.

But this is going to be an argument. It's like "what your favorite style of beer" discussions. For example:

QUOTE(90quattrocoupe @ Sep 29 2019, 04:49 PM) *

Of course it is. That's the wole point (along with stopping oxidation). You *want* it to be electrically non-conductive, because the physical contact of the pins is what clears the grease and makes the electrical contact.

You don't want the grease conducting an electrical current to adjacent pin housing connections (for example).

And...go!
shane
I use dielectric grease for high voltage stuff connections on plug wires to spark plugs and distributor cap towers coil wire connection to distributor cap and coil, and this stuff for everything else electrical.Click to view attachment
Larmo63
This post reminded me of that old joke;

"If Russia attacked Turkey from behind, would Greece help?"

blink.gif
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 29 2019, 11:37 PM) *

blink.gif

That's so wrong.

I recommend grease for connections and Greece for vacation.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 29 2019, 10:37 PM) *

blink.gif

Quit making a$$hole jokes and bugger off... laugh.gif poke.gif
Larmo63
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 30 2019, 06:46 AM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 29 2019, 11:37 PM) *

blink.gif

That's so wrong.

I recommend grease for connections and Greece for vacation.

Well put.
KELTY360
Usually I wish someone would get to the point....but not this time.
Ansbacher
When I owned a 928, I once tried dielectric grease on my spark plug connections- the car would not start. Removed the grease and cleaned it all up- the car started. I will never use that sh*t again.

Ansbacher
GregAmy
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Sep 30 2019, 01:10 PM) *

When I owned a 928, I once tried dielectric grease on my spark plug connections- the car would not start. Removed the grease and cleaned it all up- the car started. I will never use that sh*t again.

You didn't have a good solid physical electrical connection. Your spark plugs wires were arcing to the spark plug terminals.

That works, but it ain't the best way to do it.
jim_hoyland
I found the dielectric grease helped keep the rear taillight connections from corroding. A quick wire-brushing and a light app of the dielectric grease has kept those connection "clean "from corrosion for at least ten years. smile.gif
76-914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 29 2019, 08:37 PM) *

blink.gif
You sick Bastard; LMAO.
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Sep 30 2019, 10:35 AM) *

QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Sep 30 2019, 01:10 PM) *

You didn't have a good solid physical electrical connection. Your spark plugs wires were arcing to the spark plug terminals.

That works, but it ain't the best way to do it.
agree.gif
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Sep 30 2019, 10:41 AM) *

I found the dielectric grease helped keep the rear taillight connections from corroding. A quick wire-brushing and a light app of the dielectric grease has kept those connection "clean "from corrosion for at least ten years. smile.gif

That's what it is supposed to do. You must be using it correctly, Jimbo. av-943.gif
johnhora
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 30 2019, 06:49 AM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 29 2019, 10:37 PM) *

blink.gif

Quit making a$$hole jokes and bugger off... laugh.gif poke.gif

agree.gif

Good lord Lawrence you made my day again with one of your pithy post... biggrin.gif

Now please go take your meds biggrin.gif poke.gif
brcacti
QUOTE(90quattrocoupe @ Sep 29 2019, 01:49 PM) *

I prefer this stuff.

IPB Image

A special

Do you use it on the battery ground wire to body or everything? Someone said to use Lithium grease on posts
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.