Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting key duplicates
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tvdinnerbythepool
Hey guys,

Forgive me if this is stupid but...

Need to get a copy of my keys made...Is this an Ace Hardware job? Do I need to source blanks before hand or are they avail at local hardware stores?

Thanks! -Rob
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(tvdinnerbythepool @ Sep 30 2019, 08:35 AM) *

Hey guys,

Need to get a copy of my keys made...Is this an Ace Hardware job? Do I need to source blanks before hand or are they avail at local hardware stores?

Thanks! -Rob

Most good locksmiths will have metal key blanks for 914s. If you want genuine Porsche key blanks, you can contact one of our suppliers. I buy them from Zim's. (For full disclosure, I used to work there).

Considering the age of the cars, and the wear on the keys, I suggest taking the ignition lock out of the car and taking it to a locksmith to have a key cut from the lock. That way you get a nice, sharp key. Then have them cut a steel blank, but only on one side of the key. That one will become your template for making new keys. Because it is only cut on one side, it can't be used in the car, so it will never wear. If you get all your new keys cut from it, you won't carry over the wear of the old key.

Good luck.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
anyone with a key cutter can cut a 914 key if they take their time, it is having the blanks that is the problem. Best to call, like Clay said, a locksmith and ask if they have the blank first.

We cut the keys here all of the time and have the aftermarket blanks along with the factory ones, but are hesitant to copy an aftermarket cut key onto an original blank as often key cutters in the past have done a hap hazard job, the keys are cut down too far or parts not cut precisely enough and copying this kind of a key RUINS an expensive factory blank

The other thing to do is to have Porsche do one for you from the vehicle id number, Yes they can do it back to 72 models, if you press them, but since so many 914 keys and locks have been switched by now, you may get an expensive key that does not work

Finally a GOOD locksmith looks at the old key, counts the "bump" height (corresponding to the lock wafers) puts those numbers, 1-4 into his machine and cuts a PERFECT duplicate of the original

QUOTE(tvdinnerbythepool @ Sep 30 2019, 06:35 AM) *

Hey guys,

Thanks! -Rob

tvdinnerbythepool
Hey Guys,

Finally getting around to ordering keys to make duplicates.
This is my ignition key (different from the door which is the regular 914 key blank)

Can't seem to find the correct blank to match this ignition key though.
Anyone know if this is from a different model that someone swapped in at some point?Click to view attachment
tvdinnerbythepool
other sideClick to view attachment
ClayPerrine
That is like no other 914 key I have ever seen. Maybe somebody fitted a later model ignition lock to your car?

Good luck with it.

tvdinnerbythepool
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 22 2020, 07:39 AM) *

That is like no other 914 key I have ever seen. Maybe somebody fitted a later model ignition lock to your car?

Good luck with it.

headbang.gif headbang.gif of course they did....add it to the list of things they (prior owner) "modded" on the car
mepstein
At least now you have the chance to fix it back to one key. beerchug.gif
ClayPerrine
Just source a replacement column from a parts car of the same year and swap it out.

Then you can have the ignition lock keyed to match the door key.

TonyA
Was the red key just for the glove box? Or did it operate the doors and the ignition switch also?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(TonyA @ Jan 22 2020, 12:39 PM) *

Was the red key just for the glove box? Or did it operate the doors and the ignition switch also?

It was the "valet key". It was setup from the factory to only open the doors and turn on the ignition.

I actually use a red key for everything on my six conversion. I use a black key for the factory six. That way I can tell them apart when they are on the same key ring.

bbrock
QUOTE(tvdinnerbythepool @ Jan 22 2020, 10:11 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 22 2020, 07:39 AM) *

Good luck with it.

headbang.gif headbang.gif of course they did....add it to the list of things they (prior owner) "modded" on the car

I wouldn't be too harsh on this one. It's a very common thing. The ignition key tumblers became NLA a long time ago so lots of owners swapped in whatever tumbler (usually VW) would work.

QUOTE(TonyA @ Jan 22 2020, 11:39 AM) *

The red key is a valet key which will operate doors and ignition but NOT glove box or either trunk. That is... if the locks are all still keyed as original. There is a special valet wafer that is supposed to replace a random wafer in the glove box and trunk locks which prevents the red key from opening them. My first 914 only came with a red key and I didn't figure out why my trunk and glove box locks wouldn't work until years after I sold that car.
rhodyguy
A skilled locksmith can 'read' the ignition itself. They use a blank of very soft material that leaves witness marks when turned in the ignition. I watched when a mobile locksmith was at my house after the 914 was stolen. It came home without the key. When I had the Subaru I gave up on the hardware store after 3 tries because they could not cut a key that worked. First time I didn't check it before I went home. 2nd and 3rd times I tried the new key(s. New blank every time) in the parking lot. Surrendered and went to a locksmith. It took about 15 minutes to get a couple of functional keys.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
that is a later vw audi key that they used to replace the early ignition lock in a 914, really all that is currently available. So ask for that blank. Will certainly not fit a porsche lock cylinder though

QUOTE(tvdinnerbythepool @ Jan 22 2020, 06:43 AM) *

tvdinnerbythepool
Thanks EVERYONE as always for the input. I know that a rekey of the whole car is in order at some point. For now I'll try and source this key to get me by.

beerchug.gif
Mikey914
In stock
https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/b...che-914-and-911
Any locksmith should be able to duplicate.

I'll PM ya with a contact.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.