Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: USB optical mini-mouse
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dave_Darling
I have a cute little mini optical mouse that I've been using with my laptop computer. My attorney got it as giveaway "swag" at some function she went to, and she thought I could use it. It was very convenient, and I used it quite a bit.

Well, I broke it. sad.gif The retractable USB cable, instead of extending when I pulled on it, pulled right out of the mouse!! I managed to get the mouse open, and I think I may have found where the wires attached. Over on one side of the PCB inside the mouse are four solder blobs, with labels next to them. The labels are, from top to bottom, V, DM, DP, and G. The wire colors are blue, green, red, and yellow.

Does anyone know if there are standard wire color/connections for USB cables as applied specifically to mice?

The wire colors seem to connect to the USB connector as follows, from right to left (as looking at the metal end of the connector with the logo on the top): Blue, Green, Yellow, and presumably Red (though I couldn't get a good reading from my meter on that one).

Does anyone know which wires go to which solder blobs on the PCB?

Help, please!

Heck, I should probably just make the time to get to Fry's and pony up a Yuppie Food Coupon for a new one.

--DD
bd1308
take a volt meter.... here's what you look for

pin1----+5V
pin2----(-)DATA
pin3----(+)DATA
pin4----GROUND

look for those and you should be set, wire it up wierd and it goes KABLOOM
skline
Dave, I have seen those little optical mice at Fry's for like 18.00, is it really worth it to try to fix it? Good luck.
Demick
Dave

It should wire up as:

Blue - G (ground)
Green - DP (data plus)
Yellow - DM (data minus)
Red - V (voltage)

Demick
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (skline @ Jun 30 2005, 09:21 AM)
Dave, I have seen those little optical mice at Fry's for like 18.00, is it really worth it to try to fix it?

See my last statement in the note. Remember that "Yuppie Food Coupon" == $20 bill...

Thanks, Demick! I'll see if my soldering skills have completely deserted me yet!

--DD
mightyohm
If you can't fix it, Surplus Computers in Santa Clara usually has those mice for a few bucks.

And way to go Demick, you da man.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.