Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: On this date...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Triaddave
Today, back in 1955, James Dean remodeled his car. Not good for the upcoming star and Porsche owner...RIP Jimmy
Unobtanium-inc
RIP
infraredcalvin
RIP JD

Headed to Rennsport IV alone in my 930 I got forced off the road into the dirt shoulder by an oncoming pickup truck intent on passing traffic. To my left was the old highway intersection where JD was hit...
VegasRacer
Rebels with a cause.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Fourteen years ago a few of us met on the "50th" date (09.30.55) at the location of Competition Motors/ Hollywood Cali. Vine St. N + La Mirada St. A few weeks before this construction crew arrived, the 1 story mechanics garage and lot were still there (up to 2005) . This was the departure site... the day of his Last Ride.
Cars: 1970 9146 Chuck Null, Black 550 Beck Spyder Dave/TRE motorsports, 1979 930 yours truly
Click to view attachment
Unobtanium-inc
These shots recently came up for auction, they were held by one of the lawyers involved.
Superhawk996
Prefer to remember both him and the car in this state.

Click to view attachment
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Sep 30 2019, 04:46 PM) *

Prefer to remember both him and the car in this state.

Click to view attachment

I bought a whole role of those once, it was like wallpaper.
Superhawk996
Ha Ha! I have this same photo around. It was actually a page out of a vintage Life magazine if I recall. I scanned it and made a screen saver. piratenanner.gif

Now where the hell did I put the original?

Click to view attachment

thelogo
Poor little bastards
Never had a chance. Driver saftey in a 550
Non existent ...914 not much better i assume

Now a days the car would be trailered. To willow but back then they drove it up flat out and tuned and fiddled with the car as they went pray.gif
lierofox
Funnily enough I drove right by the Y at CA-46/CA-41 at just past midnight on the 30th while on the way back home from San Diego.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(thelogo @ Oct 1 2019, 09:22 AM) *

Poor little bastards

Now a days the car would be trailered. To willow but back then they drove it up flat out and tuned and fiddled with the car as they went pray.gif

914 is MUCH better actually, so long as you are wearing your seat belt. The 914s have that big roll bar built into the wings. The 550 had nothing to protect the driver if it went shiny side down.

Zach
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Sep 30 2019, 03:18 PM) *

Rebels with a cause.
Click to view attachment

Somewhere in my collection of (actual paper) photos I have a picture of myself, Rich Johnson, and Glenn Stazak at that place
thelogo
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 1 2019, 11:06 AM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Oct 1 2019, 09:22 AM) *

Poor little bastards

914 is MUCH better actually, so long as you are wearing your seat belt. The 914s have that big roll bar built into the wings. The 550 had nothing to protect the driver if it went shiny side down.

Zach

I wear the belt but the tension is worn out
So not couting on much there

(Rebels dont drive Volvo s
Carl La Fong
If he didn't die in the car, the cigarettes would have killed him. I have never seen a picture of him that he didn't have a cigarette in his mouth or in his fingers. I might have to watch "Giant" or "A Rebel without a Cause" tonight. By the way, this is STILL one of the most dangerous intersections in the central coast. sad.gif
lierofox
QUOTE(Carl La Fong @ Oct 1 2019, 04:18 PM) *

If he didn't die in the car, the cigarettes would have killed him. I have never seen a picture of him that he didn't have a cigarette in his mouth or in his fingers. I might have to watch "Giant" or "A Rebel without a Cause" tonight. By the way, this is STILL one of the most dangerous intersections in the central coast. sad.gif

I'm just glad they've been working on widening the highways over the last several years, it was brutal being stuck behind slow semis for 99% of the way between 101 and I-5.
ValcoOscar
Damn...20 yrs ago I and some friends drove up to memorial. We left at 6am, returning home at 9pm...what a blast

Oscar

You can tell which one was mine. idea.gif

Click to view attachment
Porschef
Beautiful beerchug.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(thelogo @ Oct 1 2019, 06:22 AM) *

Poor little bastards

I was reading up on Mr. Dean's ameteur race career , in which his filming career took up most of his time. He traded in his 356 with some cash and got into the 550. In order to make enough break-in miles on the engine he ran it on Mullholland Dr. , and took it off the trailer somewhere before the incident; as he was trying to rack up more break in miles. Earlier that day a CHP officer that stopped him and passenger Rolf Wütherich , scolded him for driving too fast and stated: Keep that up and you'll kill yourself...
Larmo63
I don't know about you, but I've had an incident where someone completely pulled out in front of my 914 without seeing it.

I think one needs to drive a Porsche (sports car) defensively, almost with the same mindset as you would drive a motorcycle.
Unobtanium-inc
Here is a great video of him racing the 356.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2397750163839458

Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 1 2019, 07:26 PM) *

I don't know about you, but I've had an incident where someone completely pulled out in front of my 914 without seeing it.

I think one needs to drive a Porsche (sports car) defensively, almost with the same mindset as you would drive a motorcycle.

Limited visibility of our small + low cars is a good point Lawrence; when I used to Daily my 914 I would always run with parking lights on at dusk. I also had some close encounters with drivers not seeing me during their lane changes. According to the driver of the Ford that hit Mr. D at that junction ...he recalls looking ahead into the bright sunlit horizon of the road just when taking his merge. Unfortunately for the fast charging 550, it was in a lower grade of the road not visible to the other driver. The "Newer" version of this merging road is better...but it' s still up to the drivers out there.
oldschool
QUOTE(Carl La Fong @ Oct 1 2019, 04:18 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
Interestingly enough, there is a local legend that the car in it's crashed state was placed behind a false wall in Bellingham WA.

Again, RIP,

but some really interesting lore that goes with this.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 2 2019, 08:06 AM) *

Interestingly enough, there is a local legend that the car in it's crashed state was placed behind a false wall in Bellingham WA.

Again, RIP,

YES...I have heard this too. I met an old-time racer back in 1998 at Laguna Seca that told that story. I didn't pay much attention to what he was saying. Then a few years back this was being retold on multiple news outlets. I also recall there was a lengthy interview (eye witness) in an article but don't remember which magazine. idea.gif

Wouldn't it be something if the story was verified? I think ownership disputes were a major hurdle. George Barris may have had rights to it, but he has since passed.

Oscar
SirAndy
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Oct 2 2019, 08:24 AM) *
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 2 2019, 08:06 AM) *
Again, RIP,
YES...I have heard this too. I met an old-time racer back in 1998 at Laguna Seca that told that story. I didn't pay much attention to what he was saying. Then a few years back this was being retold on multiple news outlets. I also recall there was a lengthy interview (eye witness) in an article but don't remember which magazine. idea.gif
Wouldn't it be something if the story was verified? I think ownership disputes were a major hurdle. George Barris may have had rights to it, but he has since passed.

@ValcoOscar @Mikey914

I'm pretty sure i read a few years ago that the car was found and the story was indeed verified.

Don't have time for google right now but that should be easy enough to double check ...
idea.gif

Mikey914
Gets more interesting than I remember.

There is a question of ownership that is likely why it's still missing.

https://www.foxsports.com/motor/story/who-o...-porsche-111515
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Oct 1 2019, 06:38 PM) *

Earlier that day a CHP officer that stopped him and passenger Rolf Wütherich , scolded him for driving too fast and stated: Keep that up and you'll kill yourself...

Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 1 2019, 09:26 PM) *

And that is the reason I drive with the fog lights on all the time. Well, mine are 911 driving lights, but same reason. Anything I can do to make my 914 more visible on the road is a good thing. Plus... we always assume no one can see us, but everyone is trying to kill us. In this case, paranoia is a good thing.

Bought the LED headlight kit from 914rubber and the LED turn signals, brake lights and backup lights from Spokeworks for Igor last night. They are on both the other two. Even wanting to keep Elwood as factory original as possible, we still did this modification, because we consider this to be a safety thing.
ValcoOscar
The "D" in his last signature appears to look like a sad face. sad.gif

Not his typical signature...

Oscar
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.