Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: E Brake overhaul
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
frostyf
Attempting to remove my ebrake handle to try and overhaul it. I've had a search in the garage and tried the pelican site but haven't found a decent thread on the subject. Does anyone know a thread with some photos on how to take the handle off and strip it?

Thanks,
Nick
mepstein
QUOTE(frostyf @ Sep 30 2019, 04:28 PM) *

Attempting to remove my ebrake handle to try and overhaul it. I've had a search in the garage and tried the pelican site but haven't found a decent thread on the subject. Does anyone know a thread with some photos on how to take the handle off and strip it?

Thanks,
Nick

I'm pretty sure there is a how to video on Eric's - PMBperformance.com site. He also carries all the small parts, though they are not all listed on the site.
bbrock
The PMB video only covers the calipers, but not the handle. For the most part, it is pretty self-explanatory. Disconnect the cable and unbolt the handle from the chassis, then unscrew the button and it will pretty much come apart. The remove the handle grip without destroying it, boil it first. I learned that one too late. If you want to full disassemble, there is a rivet pin that is peened on end that you'll need to grind off and remove. Download a copy of the parts catalog from Porsche Classic, if you don't aready have it, and use it as a guide for how the parts go together. All of the parts are still available from Porsche and surprisingly reasonably priced. If you have to replace the grip, the new Porsche part is a matte finish that isn't like the original. I kind of like it, but if you want to match the smooth, shiny grip, buy the URO reproduction.

Have fun! beerchug.gif
frostyf
QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 2 2019, 02:02 AM) *

The PMB video only covers the calipers, but not the handle. For the most part, it is pretty self-explanatory. Disconnect the cable and unbolt the handle from the chassis, then unscrew the button and it will pretty much come apart. The remove the handle grip without destroying it, boil it first. I learned that one too late. If you want to full disassemble, there is a rivet pin that is peened on end that you'll need to grind off and remove. Download a copy of the parts catalog from Porsche Classic, if you don't aready have it, and use it as a guide for how the parts go together. All of the parts are still available from Porsche and surprisingly reasonably priced. If you have to replace the grip, the new Porsche part is a matte finish that isn't like the original. I kind of like it, but if you want to match the smooth, shiny grip, buy the URO reproduction.

Have fun! beerchug.gif

Brent,
I did look on the pmb site but couldn't find the handle info and only the caliper so the information you've posted is great. I need to get the porsche classic catalog and will have a look in my lunch break!
Might take a few photos to add as I do this for the next newbie that tries bit I'm away with work for the next few weeks so will be when I get back.

Cheers Nick
frostyf
So, just back from a temp trip away with work and thought I'd try and get the handle off to refurb it.

From anyone that's done this, is the handle secured to the pivot pin with a bolt or does it just drift on with a v tight fit? The parts diagram and Haynes manual doesn't really show any bolt, just a bushing (part9 in the caralogue).

Does anyone know if there's a nut on the pivot pin that holds the handle on that has to be removed. I can't see one on the car?

Thank you
mxkinn01
QUOTE(frostyf @ Oct 27 2019, 07:01 AM) *

So, just back from a temp trip away with work and thought I'd try and get the handle off to refurb it.

From anyone that's done this, is the handle secured to the pivot pin with a bolt or does it just drift on with a v tight fit? The parts diagram and Haynes manual doesn't really show any bolt, just a bushing (part9 in the caralogue).

Does anyone know if there's a nut on the pivot pin that holds the handle on that has to be removed. I can't see one on the car?

Thank you

I just did a refurb on my E brake handle. The bolt actually holds the ratchet part of the handle. The handle is usually held on the pivot by rust and grime. It will come off with some hard persuasion, not to hard or you will bend it. I used a small pry bar wrapped in leather between the car body and the handle, while lifting the handle up and down. I’ve found the harder part was the pin that was rusted and made the cable and handle as one. I had to use a cutting wheel to get it off, fortunately I had an extra pin and clip.
frostyf
QUOTE(mxkinn01 @ Oct 27 2019, 08:09 PM) *

QUOTE(frostyf @ Oct 27 2019, 07:01 AM) *

Thank you

I just did a refurb on my E brake handle. The bolt actually holds the ratchet part of the handle. The handle is usually held on the pivot by rust and grime. It will come off with some hard persuasion, not to hard or you will bend it. I used a small pry bar wrapped in leather between the car body and the handle, while lifting the handle up and down. I’ve found the harder part was the pin that was rusted and made the cable and handle as one. I had to use a cutting wheel to get it off, fortunately I had an extra pin and clip.

Hey, that's fantastic information and will hopefully stop me damaging it; I'll keep working the releasing fluid and try to lever it off - its really stiff. The pawl inside the handle has seized and I need to dismantle it all to get this refurbed again.

Thanks again!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.