Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: Watch the Assembly of the New Porsche Taycan
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ferg
super cool, especially the paint around the 10:30 mark
Carl La Fong
I hate to say it but I'm almost more impressed with the robots that assemble them than the car itself. I wonder what happened to all the people who might have worked at the assembly line? Hopefully Porsche found them something else to do? I know that represents the future but my "old schoolness" prevents me from liking it too much. biggrin.gif
914Toy
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 1 2019, 08:37 AM) *

Amazing first world technology. Thanks for posting.
914sgofast2
Made by robots and "20-Something" whites; but there was a token Asian worker. No gray haired "Olde World Craftsmen" or Blacks need apply.
bbrock
Then watch this to see how times have changed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbFu1r_erw0

I think that Taycan video is downright creepy.
Front yard mechanic
The electric motor sounds like a jet engine super cool thx
ValcoOscar
Young bucks rule!!! Old Farts, move over.

Guess, I'm moving over slits.gif

Great video, thanks Kent.

Oscar
914Sixer
I thought the new Generation was cutting the cord !!
rhodyguy
I just don't see the market for mass sales of a $100k+ electric car.
infraredcalvin
A base Tesla model s is 80k, the x even higher, a few options and these are easily over 100k. Tesla’s are all over the place. Build in any state or fed tax incentives, also premium gas above $4 in CA, and these start to make sense. There is absolutely a market for a porsche badged electric car over 100k.
914-300Hemi
Interesting to see the process of making the Taycan.
You can see the care they are putting into each car.
horizontally-opposed
Not sure what they were thinking when they let a 914 guy drive the Taycan on the autobahn, but would you skip the opportunity to try an EV out at 167 mph?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B20ACTVFGW3/

More videos, pics, and thoughts on this EV here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan-and-miss...irst-drive.html
Larmo63
I'm not a huge electric car fan, but these look like really nice cars.

I don't look forward to a future when gasoline cars will be legislated off of the road.

I hope I'm dead by then.
siverson
That's pretty cool.

My kids are going to be watching this video in detail in 50 years trying to figure out how to replicate the over spray on the first year Taycans that was applied before sentient painting robots were common.

-Steve
Steve
QUOTE(siverson @ Oct 3 2019, 09:02 AM) *

That's pretty cool.

My kids are going to be watching this video in detail in 50 years trying to figure out how to replicate the over spray on the first year Taycans that was applied before sentient painting robots were common.

-Steve

Your kids might have there own personal robot by then.
Cairo94507
It is kind of freaky that it appears to be so quiet in the factory and there is not a speck of dirt or grease anywhere to be seen. The workers are all clean and working as they should.

Contrast that to a tour I took of an American car manufacturing plant in Fremont CA probably 40 years ago.....the employees had long hair, beards, wore tank tops, shorts, looked like hell and their work stations were sloppy and messy. That was at the height of the auto manufacturing unions when you couldn't fire an employee for anything almost.

With the exception of a 2014 Ford Fusion plug-in that I bought and kept for just over a year, I have not owned an American made car since. Like a fool I thought, hey maybe the American car manufacturers upped their game. The Fusion was such a disappointment that I kept it for just over a year and sold it- replaced it with the Audi S3. Have almost 60K on the S3 and love it every time I get behind the wheel.

banananose914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 3 2019, 07:43 AM) *

I'm not a huge electric car fan, but these look like really nice cars.

I don't look forward to a future when gasoline cars will be legislated off of the road.

I hope I'm dead by then.

To give you an idea of that very subject and a great mental picture, listen to Red Barchetta by Rush. Close your eyes and it will take you there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.