Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need help with stock steering wheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brcacti
Hello, I put the stock steering wheel on and attached the horn wire to it at the plug in. When I turn on the ignition the horn is on right away continuous. Also the center cap of the wheel does not seem snug but loose. Any ideas what is wrong?
mepstein
Do you have plastic or fiber spacers on the plate that’s bolted to the horn pad?
Garland
Click to view attachment
Ask as the insulator, for the plate. Just, snaps in .
brcacti
Garland, so you're saying I must install this part? No I don't think I have it but will check in my parts boxes
brcacti
Mepstein, not sure what you mean do you have any pictures of what I need? Are you saying I am missing a part?
mepstein
QUOTE(brcacti @ Oct 1 2019, 08:47 PM) *

Mepstein, not sure what you mean do you have any pictures of what I need? Are you saying I am missing a part?

Possibly. I don't know if you have the fiber washers behind the plate. You do also need the rubber piece in the pic.
brcacti
Thanks Garland so I so have a missing part the rubber piece in the picture. Do I ALSO need some fiber washers put around the 3 points on the back of the front plate?
Garland
Here’s the link to 914 Rubber
Steering Wheel Horn Rubber Cuff
porschetub
The horn wire looks a little crusty make sure its not contacting anywhere else but the horn button ok,and need to fix the other stuff as mentioned,good luck.
theer
Yes, you need the rubber piece and the isolator washers/spacers for plate that attaches to the horn pad. Here’s a link to a picture of what they look like:
https://sierramadrecollection.com/Horn-Butt...-76-p21568.html
brcacti
Thanks Theer, I did order those exact parts just today from Auto Atlanta, cost $8 more, darn wish I would have waited for our post smile.gif, would have saved $8
brcacti
QUOTE(brcacti @ Oct 1 2019, 05:27 PM) *

Hello, does the horn wire go thrugh the metal hole or can it be attached to the horn as the wire is shown?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(brcacti @ Oct 5 2019, 02:07 PM) *

QUOTE(brcacti @ Oct 1 2019, 05:27 PM) *

Hello, does the horn wire go thrugh the metal hole or can it be attached to the horn as the wire is shown?

No, the wire does not go through the hole in the wheel. That hole is used on very early /4 cars and all the /6 cars for the horn contact. It is completely different.

Clay
brcacti
Clay, thank you VERY MUCH
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.