Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 50 Jahre - the book
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bbrock
I'm about half way through reading my copy of 50 Jahre Porsche 914 by Jürgen Lewandowski. It's a fascinating read with a much more in depth discussion of the development and marketing than I have ever seen before. Anyone who says the 914 is a Porsche in name only has it completely backwards. I've always thought that, but this book makes it clear this car was Porsche's baby through and through. One interesting nugget is that the program committee recommended and then formally agreed that all models of 914 would bear the Porsche hood badge but the proposal was nixed when the cars were released as VW-Porsche. Anyone else read the book? I'm curious about other impressions.

IPB Image
mb911
Pretty cool. Didn't know that and maybe will buy the book. Didn't know it existed.
Sprout
I’m jealous that you got your copy! Ordered one through Amazon months ago and got a notice it was backordered and should arrive in October.
JmuRiz
Didn’t know it existed, sounds like I missed the boat.
914-300Hemi
Just ordered the book from Amazon.
80’s old school
QUOTE(914-300Hemi @ Oct 2 2019, 08:44 PM) *

Just ordered the book from Amazon.

Me too!
DRPHIL914
looks like on Amazon the only one available now is the German language version, and that the English language version is not available until Oct 14 but is taking pre-order. both listings for the Jahre version lists German as the published language - wondering if this is accurate as I don't want to order wrong one. I grew up in a family that spoke german fluently but I remember very little at this point rolleyes.gif
but one is listed as $65 and says 50 Years , that will not be released until Oct14,
the other 2 say 50 Jahre on the cover, one is $43 and the other is $85 and has a fancy box it comes in. Which one did you guys order??

Phil
914Sixer
Got mine off Ebay 2 months ago for $49.99.
StarBear
Got it in early September piratenanner.gif (English version); my son got it for my birthday. Also about half-way through and amazed at the depth and twists/turns of the cars' development, production and sales/distribution! If interested, will ask him where/how he got it as apparently the English version isn't (?) available yet...
bbrock
I also got mine on ebay - English version. It says "50 Years" on the cover. Also $49 shipped but that vendor is sold out sad.gif
I first learned about it on a thread on the Originality forum.
maf914
Amazon appears to be $65, available Oct 14, 2019.

You can do a book search at Direct Textbooks and locate book sellers. This site is helpful when searching for new and out of print books.

https://www.directtextbook.com/isbn/9783667114587

AbeBooks has a listing for $47. I just ordered.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetail...llResults-_-BDP

gms
This book has the most detailed account of the back and forth between Porsche and VW on the development of 914... It is amazing the car went into production.
Superhawk996
Never really worried about those that said NARP.

How then do you explain the fact that the whole front suspension from a 911 can be moved over to a 914? Try that on a Beetle!

And then there is that whole 901 transmission thing. It wan't an accident that the transmission bolts right up to a Type 4 (introduced 1968) and a 911 case.

VDO gauges that look more like 911 parts than VW parts?

Semi Trailing arms? Wonder where those came from? VW suspiciously dumped swing axles in 1968. Did VW learn a thing or two about swing axle jacking from Porsche? Hard to say because Corvair was struggling with it around the same time too.

We many never know completely who was helping who but I saw Porsche's fingerprints on it long ago.
bbrock
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 3 2019, 03:30 PM) *

We many never know completely who was helping who but I saw Porsche's fingerprints on it long ago.

You need to get this book. I always thought the same as you - it was obvious from the parts that Porsche at least strongly influenced the design. This book digs into the archives, board meeting minutes, internal memos, the works. It answers many questions we assumed we would never know.

Spoiler Alert for anyone who plans to read the book: VW had zero to do with the design and development of the car. They built them, but they didn't design them. Not only did they have no interest in helping design the 914, they were contracting Porsche to design most of their own cars at the time too. Even the choice of the Type IV engine made perfect sense for a Porsche. Since VW was building the cars, they did influence parts choices to some extent to keep costs down, but I haven't seen any indication those choices ever deviated from Porsche's concept or design specs. For example, Porsche speced 15" wheels and disc brakes front and rear for both /4 and /6 models and VW had 4-lug hubs and discs that fit the bill at less cost. VW tried to get drum brakes on the rear to shave cost, but Porsche wouldn't budge.

I don't think the book puts a date on the famous handshake deal, but Porsche was already seriously discussing a mid-engined entry point sports car in 1964. VW was needed to bring the concept to market.
raynekat
Just ordered mine.
Had a couple on Ebay....I grabbed one.
Will have it by the end of the month.
Perfect winter reading subject matter during our Oregon rainy season.

brain.gif
Johny Blackstain
Just ordered an English copy from Walmart- $42 including shipping. Supposed to arrive on the 30th cool_shades.gif
maf914
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Oct 11 2019, 08:39 AM) *

Just ordered an English copy from Walmart- $42 including shipping. Supposed to arrive on the 30th cool_shades.gif

I have bought many books from Amazon and other online sources, but I have never used Walmart before. I will have to check into it in the future.
Psw1811
QUOTE(maf914 @ Oct 11 2019, 12:38 PM) *

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Oct 11 2019, 08:39 AM) *

I have bought many books from Amazon and other online sources, but I have never used Walmart before. I will have to check into it in the future.

It’s available on eBay uk for $35 us but I’m not sure what p&p would be. Showing plenty of stock
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(maf914 @ Oct 11 2019, 02:38 PM) *

Walmart online is insane as in you can find almost anything. I needed a 5' stainless steel hose for the dishwasher & not only did they have it, as usual it was the cheapest I could find & surprisingly good quality cool_shades.gif
raynekat
Just got mine today. Leafed through it quickly. Looks incredible. Will be great to read through this winter all bundled up under my blankets and drinking a beer while I wade through all the great pics and info.
Johny Blackstain
Got mine yesterday (11 days earlier than expected) & ran into this nugget of controversy on pg 89-
David Billo
I was in an Indigo in Toronto on the 13th...a day too early for their official release. I just *had* to spend some money though, so I bought this in the meantime:
mepstein
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Oct 20 2019, 10:20 AM) *

Got mine yesterday (11 days earlier than expected) & ran into this nugget of controversy on pg 89-

Sometimes things are listed as options but not actually made.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 20 2019, 02:33 PM) *

Sometimes things are listed as options but not actually made.

I have to agree but I still find the whole factory grasshopper subject intriguing idea.gif
80’s old school
Now ordering my second book.

My first book... mistakingly ordered in German will be a “conversation” piece.

The second one ordered... in English, so I can read.

$43 from Walmart Online.
stevend914
Received my book today, ordered through Walmart online for $40.13
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.