Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: jump start 914 or to another car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brcacti
Can you jump start a 914 safely without disconnecting anything on the battery?
Superhawk996
QUOTE(brcacti @ Oct 3 2019, 05:10 PM) *

Yup
mepstein
It’s just as easy to push start and pop the clutch. Must have done it 100X on my first 914 with a poor charging system. A couple quick steps, jump in, drop in first and quickly let out the clutch. My wife, long before she was my wife, did the same on her Karmen Ghia. If you park on a hill, even a slight one, it’s even easier.
Superhawk996
Be forewarned, push start isn't very effective on a dead flat battery unless you can get some good rolling speed to get output out of the alternator.

Agree in general it is effective. That is why I've always loved a manual trans and a light car. beerchug.gif
theer
QUOTE(brcacti @ Oct 3 2019, 05:10 PM) *

If you disconnect anything from the battery, jump starting won't work. shades.gif

Mark is correct, pop starting is eeeasy with fuel injection - I used to be able to pop start my 412 by myself in the length of a parking spot. Carbs make it a little harder to fire up, in my experience.
brcacti
Am not on a hill, so push start won't work where I'm at, I thought I read in the manual that you can't do that to these cars?, could be wrong.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(brcacti @ Oct 3 2019, 03:18 PM) *

Am not on a hill, so push start won't work where I'm at, I thought I read in the manual that you can't do that to these cars?, could be wrong.

even just a flat surface road, it is easy to push the car with just 1 person. I used to do it also on reverse. For safety, make sure you have a clear path because tendency of pushing the gas pedal and you will get a high rpm. if u feel the engine run already, quickly push down the clutch and play with the gas pedal so the engine will not die.
if not just jump start it with other car.
also you can buy one of this battery tender to keep ur battery fully charged when car will not be driven for days.

Click to view attachment
Rand
914s are cool but they are not so full of magic that you can't jump start them. Somebody tell me about a car that is?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.