Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mystery substance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eatpez
I've been working to R&R the rear panel on my project and while doing so I was having trouble finding the seam at the top of the panel on the sides near the trunk panel. Since there were so many small areas up there, I decided to burn the paint off with my propane torch to get a clearer view.

When I hit the top corners of the panel where the trunk channel ends with the torch, after the paint came off I was shocked when a mystery substance started melting out of the channel, running down and dripping onto the floor. It was bright and silver and was a lot like, if not exactly like, solder.

It was on both sides, so I presume this was a factory thing, but I've never seen anything like it. Does anyone know what it is, what it's for and why it is there in the first place?

BTW - Still no luck finding where the rear panel detaches at its top!

I've included a picture of what it looked like when it dripped and cooled:

IPB Image
Superhawk996
Lead filler. Not sure if that was factory or not but lead filler isn't uncommon.

Still used today on many hot rods that don't want plastic filler in them.

Old school hot rod term "lead sled" alluded to the lead filler used in many early customs.
burton73
Yep, lead filler for sure. I have found it in a few places on my 6 when removing all the paint with water-based paint remover.

Bob B
welder.gif
SirAndy
Don't lick your fingers after you touched it. Better yet, don't touch it, since you can absorb lead through your skin.
popcorn[1].gif

Mblizzard
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 3 2019, 07:31 PM) *

Don't lick your fingers after you touched it. Better yet, don't touch it, since you can absorb lead through your skin.
popcorn[1].gif

Also heating causes lead vapors. Avoid breathing!
bretth
Funny though they still put it some of your medications. Maybe it's good for you?
IronHillRestorations
You melted the factory lead out of the rain channel, that's all
Superhawk996
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 3 2019, 11:31 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

Better put a Prop 65 warning on it and don’t go near it ever again. lol-2.gif

Better yet, send it to me. I eat Lead on my Cheerios! aktion035.gif shades.gif
twistedstang
Am I the only one a little disturbed about burning off paint with a propane torch? If it's hot enough to melt lead, it's hot enough to warp sheetmetal
Superhawk996
QUOTE(twistedstang @ Oct 6 2019, 06:58 AM) *

Am I the only one a little disturbed about burning off paint with a propane torch? If it's hot enough to melt lead, it's hot enough to warp sheetmetal

Nah, Lead melts about 622F. Way below typical temperatures used to weld or braze.

Lead is used for body filler. There would be no point to applying lead to an area only to have it warp.

Especially true if the lead is used in channels or other areas besides large flat surfaces that would be most prone to show warping.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.