Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Badge location
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vanslyke
I have installed a 3.0L SC engine in my 914 and I want to add a Porsche badge to the front hood. How far up from the front edge of the hood do I mount the badge, understanding the obvious that is must be centered as well?
johnlush
No....... We don' need no steenking batches biggrin.gif

But if you must.... I would say do it the same distance up from the leading edge of the hood as a '74 -> 911 which is 85mm to the lower point of the crest
beech4rd
Porsche themselves couldn't decide.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
bbrock
AFAIK, this is the only 914 ever badged by Porsche. It is the 8 cylinder 914S given to Ferry Porsche on his 60th birthday. This pic shows where the badge should go if you must. Looks to me that if you draw a line between the inner top corners of the headlight blinders, you have the location for the lower point of the crest.

IPB Image

BTW, the new 50 Years Porsche 914 book documents that the 914 program committee wanted to badge all 914s but the collaboration with VW prevented it. Kind of has me rethinking my anti-hood crest stance idea.gif
bbrock
@beech4rd I assume the orange car is Ferdinand Piech's 914S/8 with quad headlights. If so, it is interesting because early photos show it without a badge. Whoever put it on should be fired for putting it so low. barf.gif

IPB Image
Coondog
Don’t due it....
PanelBilly
Here, You can use the photo of my car to figure out where the badge gets mounted

Click to view attachment
beech4rd

[/quote]
QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 4 2019, 01:03 PM) *

@beech4rd I assume the orange car is Ferdinand Piech's 914S/8 with quad headlights. If so, it is interesting because early photos show it without a badge. Whoever put it on should be fired for putting it so low. barf.gif

IPB Image

It is/was Ferdinand Piech's car and it's shown as displayed at the Porsche Museum. I think you meant that the lower edge of the crest is aligned with a line joining the inner points of the curves on the headlight covers. And complete respect for the quality of your resto. I am not worthy etc..
dr914@autoatlanta.com
you do not mount a badge. The only car that had it was the 916 on the rear panel

QUOTE(vanslyke @ Oct 4 2019, 09:00 AM) *

I have installed a 3.0L SC engine in my 914 and I want to add a Porsche badge to the front hood. How far up from the front edge of the hood do I mount the badge, understanding the obvious that is must be centered as well?

dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Oct 4 2019, 12:13 PM) *

Here, You can use the photo of my car to figure out where the badge gets mounted

Click to view attachment

beautiful clean hood and superb color, who in their right mind would drill holes in a virgin 914 hood?
sixnotfour
dont drill holes, cut the posts off the back and use 3m double back trim tape, Or a decal....then you can move it around, because everyone will tell you where it should be and or you can take if off.

I run the sticker.
horizontally-opposed
Your 914? Do what you like.

There are various viewpoints on this, and the originality viewpoint is simple: If it didn't come with the badge, if shouldn't have one. However, to my eye the 914's nose looks too plain with no badging—and it sure looks like Porsche would have been happy to put its crest on the 914, a car it designed and engineered. And Porsche did put its crest on U.S. steering wheels, along with its logo across the engine lid.

A hood crest was added to my car in the 1980s, long before I got it, and looks "right" in its placement (very similar to Ferry Porsche's silver 914S pictured above). So a crest has remained on my hood, in part because the 1980s crest was a gift to my older brother and he placed it on the car, and in part because I think the nose of the car looks better with something there. I did, however, remove both the engine grille letters and the PORSCHE reflector someone added way back when…and eventually added the European 914-VW-Porsche badge because the back of the car needed something, too.

We've all got our tics…
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Oct 4 2019, 12:55 PM) *

dont drill holes, cut the posts off the back and use 3m double back trim tape, Or a decal....then you can move it around, because everyone will tell you where it should be and or you can take if off.

I run the sticker.

^ Agree with this, and wish my crest wasn't on posts.
ClayPerrine
When I mounted the one on Igor, I just ran masking tape from the top right corner of the headlight opening to the bottom left corner, and from the top left to the bottom right. That made an X on the hood, and I put the badge on top of the X.

X marks the spot!!! biggrin.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(beech4rd @ Oct 4 2019, 01:38 PM) *

IPB Image

It is/was Ferdinand Piech's car and it's shown as displayed at the Porsche Museum. I think you meant that the lower edge of the crest is aligned with a line joining the inner points of the curves on the headlight covers. And complete respect for the quality of your resto. I am not worthy etc..

Cool. That means the car pictured above without badge is the same one in the museum. I wonder when the badge was added. Doesn't seem to have been added when the car was built or Piech was driving it.

You are correct on my description of the placement. We are referencing the same points just based on different parts. I was referencing from the little covers in front of the headlight covers. Of course, anybody can look at the pic of Ferry's car and make their own judgement.

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 4 2019, 02:00 PM) *

Your 914? Do what you like.

There are various viewpoints on this, and the originality viewpoint is simple: If it didn't come with the badge, if shouldn't have one.

Just to be an ass, I'll tug on that thread a little. Was the badge not a common dealer installed option? If so, wouldn't we also have to say that all dealer installed options like A/C, most radios, etc. are also not original. confused24.gif

For me, the badge and warts have been the hardest decisions for my car. I'm an originality guy but really hate the warts and knowing that Porsche didn't want them either didn't help. That decision was made easier when I removed thick body filler from the left fender and found the wart area completely rusted and needing replaced. It was quite a bit easier to patch as a delete than to replace the ugly warts.

As for the badge, I think some colors look better with a badge and others are better without. One color I think shows the badge particularly well is silver metallic and that is the color my car happens to be. I've decided to leave it off for originality, but now that I know Porsche would have put it on had they had their way... unsure.gif Kind of liking the trim tape idea.
sixnotfour
Its a Sticker.............
Beeliner
I just checked an old snap shot of my '72 that I added a badge to.

It was the third one I bought new from Five Towns Porsche, and for this one I bought a badge from their parts department.

I took a string, cut it to the length between the headlights, folded it in half and the badge was centered. I eyeballed the height above the bumper, took a drill and holed a perfect hood.(foam core tape still years away.)

I also painted the crest on the horn toggle, something I just did on number five, parked in my driveway now.

Yes, I bought my first 914 48 years ago.... smile.gif
rgalla9146
As a long time opponent of hood emblems it's ironic I chose
to decorate my own hood.
Because......I've always loved the look of factory race cars with a decal instead
of a much too heavy emblem.
Larmo63
The sticker looks pretty good in my opinion.....

Click to view attachment
dabird
My car already had one when I bought it. I think they look fine either way. The lower tip of the badge is exactly 2 5 inches from the edge of the hood on my car
Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
biggrin.gif
Makes me giggle that Porsche was likely the first one customizing their own car. laugh.gif

I've seen some truly hideous custom 914's, but tasteful mods are OK IMHO.
I'm not about to put a 1.8 back in my 914 to make it factory correct. shades.gif

IPB Image
shelby/914
I think the search function might turn up the a pattern. Also try the AA web site or an old physical catalog. I had one when I did mine. Drilled holes and everything. Of course it's a '76 with early chrome bumpers and warts removed so it will never be stock again. Gave the rubber bumpers away.

Dan

Click to view attachment

Garland
Below is from this posting 914 World

QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Feb 10 2012, 02:49 PM) *

Here you go:

Pelican Parts Article on crest placement on a 914

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9..._hood_crest.htm

rgalla9146
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 4 2019, 09:31 PM) *

Click to view attachment

That's your car Lawrence ?
Great look !
Love the contrasting color combo.
sb914
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Oct 5 2019, 05:33 AM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 4 2019, 09:31 PM) *

Click to view attachment

That's your car Lawrence ?

Not no mo !
sixnotfour
Ya hes gone Green........
AZBanks
I recently bought the car with the crest. I like it.
partwerks
Where is a good place to buy another hood crest?
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(partwerks @ Oct 6 2019, 12:09 AM) *

Where is a good place to buy another hood crest?

I am sure Porsche dealerships have them.
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(vanslyke @ Oct 4 2019, 08:00 AM) *

I have a decal of the hood crest I will send to you, just PM me your address.
Montreal914
IPB Image
[/quote]

Different topic but I Always loved the turn signal shape on the 914-8. I wish they were available even as repro parts. The line blends in so much better with the top fender line.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.