Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB: Temp Gauge with numbers.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
rbzymek
Let me know if you would like to sell a a temp gauge that has nunbers on the dial. Trying to protect a new 2056 long block with better instrumentation. Thanks!
RayClick to view attachment
rbzymek
QUOTE(rbzymek @ Oct 4 2019, 02:52 PM) *

Let me know if you would like to sell a a temp gauge that has nunbers on the dial. Trying to protect a new 2056 long block with better instrumentation. Thanks!
Ray

This would connect to the oil temp sensor on the taco plate.
914Sixer
I have a custom made one for the center console but you would have to change sensor in taco plate for a 300 degree one.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(rbzymek @ Oct 4 2019, 05:04 PM) *

Ray

For what it's worth numbers don't add any protection. It's all a mater of visual calibration.

Let me suggest a free experiment.

Hook up gauge on the bench. Insert temperature sensor into a cup of boiling water. Allow reading to stabilize. You know know exactly where 212 degrees is.

If you wish to calibrate higher temps, you will need a separate candy thermometer that will read up to about 400F. repeat experiment with oil (vegetable oil smoke point is ~ 400F) instead of water. You can now easily calibrate visually to 250F or beyond where you'd ever want the oil temp.

Not against the numbers but who's to say those were correctly calibrated? happy11.gif

@914sixer

Sorry Mark, not trying to cock block a sale. Somehow we both posted at same time. I've thought about buying that very gauge a time or two! Ray, if you're set on numbers - you'll have a hard time finding one for a 914 that fits the 914 console other than what Mark has done which is to make a custom one that fits properly.
rbzymek
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 4 2019, 03:12 PM) *

Ray

For what it's worth numbers don't add any protection. It's all a mater of visual calibration.

Hook up gauge on the bench. Insert temperature sensor into a cup of boiling water. Allow reading to stabilize. You know know exactly where 212 degrees is.

If you wish to calibrate higher temps, you will need a separate candy thermometer that will read up to about 400F. repeat experiment with oil (vegetable oil smoke point is ~ 400F) instead of water. You can now easily calibrate visually to 250F or beyond where you'd ever want the oil temp.

Not against the numbers but who's to say those were correctly calibrated? happy11.gif

@914sixer

Sorry Mark, not trying to cock block a sale. Somehow we both posted at same time. I've thought about buying that very gauge a time or two! Ray, if you're set on numbers - you'll have a hard time finding one for a 914 that fits the 914 console other than what Mark has done which is to make a custom one that fits properly.

Superhawk,
Good idea. The next time I do an oil change I will try the calibration process. I do have a Fluke with a thermocouple so I can check the 400 degree point which I do not want to exceed. I think I will use an oven instead of oil. Thanks!
IronHillRestorations
This is where a non contact IR thermometer works great
Superhawk996
QUOTE(rbzymek @ Oct 4 2019, 05:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 4 2019, 03:12 PM) *

Ray

@914sixer

Superhawk,
Good idea. The next time I do an oil change I will try the calibration process. I do have a Fluke with a thermocouple so I can check the 400 degree point which I do not want to exceed. I think I will use an oven instead of oil. Thanks!

Don't need to go to 400F. If you oil gets over 250F long term that becomes a warning sign. 300F is more than enough since you really don't want to be running your oil temp that high for any reason.

Be careful with the oven, I'm not sure the whole sensor is rated to 400F. I'm not sure if the external sensor and insulator will tolerate that. Probably, but why risk it. If you get to 300F oil, you got serious problems.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.