Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel gauge question-problem?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brcacti
Hello, my 914 would not start, it would fire a few then ONLY turn over without starting. It was acting like it was out of gas but the gauge said more than 1/8 and less than 1/4 tank. My question is even though it was showing some gas could it really have been out of gas? Has anyone else experienced no gas while still showing some registered?
914Sixer
Fuel tank screen in tank may be stopped up. No fuel through blockage.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(brcacti @ Oct 5 2019, 10:08 AM) *

Hello, my 914 would not start, it would fire a few then ONLY turn over without starting. It was acting like it was out of gas but the gauge said more than 1/8 and less than 1/4 tank. My question is even though it was showing some gas could it really have been out of gas? Has anyone else experienced no gas while still showing some registered?

Can happen. Stuck float is one possibility. Tank outlet screen clogged with debris on bottom of the screen could be another.

However, these tanks are easy to look into. . . just don't use a match. idea.gif

Seriously, though, if you remove the fuel cap you can see right in there with a flashlight. That will tell you if there is fuel in there. Or, slosh it - you'll hear it.

More likely scenario is a failing fuel pump or clogged fuel filter.
rhodyguy
If you look into the low on fuel/empty tank with a flashlight you should see the mesh strainer in the short fuel well. It may be sucked flat.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
pour in some fuel and see if it starts, if not maybe the fuel pump relay has lost connection
brcacti
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 5 2019, 11:14 AM) *

pour in some fuel and see if it starts, if not maybe the fuel pump relay has lost connection

Yes, I did and it did start. Maybe I should carry a gallon of gas in the trunk and see how low it can go? What do you think of that idea?
bdstone914
QUOTE(brcacti @ Oct 5 2019, 03:46 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 5 2019, 11:14 AM) *

Yes, I did and it did start. Maybe I should carry a gallon of gas in the trunk and see how low it can go? What do you think of that idea?

Dangerous to carry gas.
Safer to fill the tank and keep track of you miles. You can look in the tank with a flash light or use a dip stick to check the actual level. See if it registers correct at full.

Bruce
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.