Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny Leaks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Minerva's 914
Had a very pleasant drive back from Okteenerfest but the last weekend I noticed a puddle of oil on the garage floor coming out from the rear of the car.

Cleaned up the puddle and bottom of the transmission to see if it continued (yeah, I know .... not likely to fix itself) and see where it was leaking.

Returned to it this morning, and found the pressure vent was taped tight as a space capsule for what reasons I'm not sure but can only guess it was to close it up for pressure washing when the engine trans was out during restoration and never removed after the install. I had never driven the car more than 50 miles before the trip to Banner Elk so I'm guessing I never heated it to a point that the problem was excessive.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

So..... how screwed am I?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Minerva's 914 @ Oct 5 2019, 09:19 AM) *
So..... how screwed am I?

Drop it, clean it, reseal it ...
w00t.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
looks like the speedo drive seal, very minor, ver easy to repair 99970108450 as I remember
Superhawk996
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 5 2019, 02:04 PM) *

looks like the speedo drive seal, very minor, ver easy to repair 99970108450 as I remember

You sure? Do I see fluid all the way at the front? Main shaft and then blowing backward from there? That is an awful lot of fluid for just a Speedo drive.

Don’t panic. Any of the seal scenarios aren’t that bad. All are fixable.
914werke
Its usually easy to tell if that is motor oil or Trans Gear oil as well. <snif>
Superhawk996
QUOTE(914werke @ Oct 5 2019, 02:25 PM) *

WTF.gif I've been tasting it. Had no idea I've been doing it wrong all these years lol-2.gif

A taped pressure vent would easily cause leakage like this! If you didn't notice it leaking as you drove or idled, it can pool in the bell housing area and then weeps out after parking for a while. Don't ask me how I know.
Minerva's 914

Yes, the speedo seal is leaking fer'sur and is I think the main source but there is also oil coming from up front as there is oil all the way down the bottom. Think I'll drop the engine and trans as I have wanted to install the rubber around the engine shroud anyway so just do it all.
Minerva's 914
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 5 2019, 02:47 PM) *

QUOTE(914werke @ Oct 5 2019, 02:25 PM) *

WTF.gif I've been tasting it. Had no idea I've been doing it wrong all these years lol-2.gif

A taped pressure vent would easily cause leakage like this! If you didn't notice it leaking as you drove or idled, it can pool in the bell housing area and then weeps out after parking for a while. Don't ask me how I know.

Tasting it would work well if chased with some 914 bourbon, just saying. beer3.gif
Minerva's 914
Cleaned up the transmission and engine / bell housing with special attention to the speedometer drive and found the drive has a fair amount of wiggle. Is this normal, indicative of a worn seal or does the drive need to be replaced?

https://youtu.be/1DdzwnHccgE

https://youtu.be/X4iSWLZqe9E

https://youtu.be/p5A15TtwOX4
Minerva's 914

@dr914 @autoatlanta.com

Yep,

Click to view attachment

Stoddard has 2 different seals listed for the speedo drive, the number you suggested;

https://www.stoddard.com/99970108450.html.html

and another one;

https://www.stoddard.com/99911303650.html.html

Guess I should get both(?)

Does Auto Atlanta sell these?
ClayPerrine
Somebody on here makes a new speedo drive mount that uses two o-rings. It fixed the leak on Betty's car really well.

I think it may be McMark, but I am not sure.

Clay
Garland
“Somebody on here makes a new speedo drive mount that uses two o-rings. It fixed the leak on Betty's car really well.

Clay”

Click to view attachment

914World Post

Original Customs McMark
Minerva's 914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 6 2019, 10:12 PM) *

Somebody on here makes a new speedo drive mount that uses two o-rings. It fixed the leak on Betty's car really well.

Clay

Thanks Clay!
Minerva's 914
QUOTE(Garland @ Oct 6 2019, 11:38 PM) *

“Somebody on here makes a new speedo drive mount that uses two o-rings. It fixed the leak on Betty's car really well.

Clay”

Click to view attachment

914World Post

Original Customs McMark

PERFECT!!! This is exactly what I'm looking for and I see that 914Rubber now sells them.

Thank you!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.