Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Show us your front stabilizers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VG-914
I have a '73 914 1.7 missing quite a few parts from the front stabilizer, and am getting ready to rebuild. Would like to see what it SHOULD BE if it came out of the factory, and what the options look like before I order or build new parts. Please share what you have, and why you like it? Appreciate it! beerchug.gif
mlindner
VG-914, not sure what you mean by front stabilizers. The front is pretty simple....shock/strut, A-arm/wishbone and bushings, sway bar and links, brake caliper and rotors, hub and bearings, etc. Best, MarkClick to view attachment
roblav1
You mean "anti-roll bar"?
914forme
If you are talking sway bars, I will use SCCA rules here for stock class. If there was not a hole in the body and matching factory pieces adding one is against the rules.

av-943.gif

I would highly recommend adding a front sway bar, stabilizer, anti-Roll bar, fulcrum, what ever you want to call it.

If your looking to go stock and you do not have the stuff. post a WTB for front unit roll bar in the classifieds. It will have the bar, bushing, cups to hold said bar and business in-place, maybe the bolts. Two arms, provides fulcrums so the thing works. Two drop links. hopefully bolts and new bushings.

Most likely have to add. Tabs for the arms, to look stock they ned to be spot welded on.

Should add, a Brad Mayer 914LTD front sway bar mount kit. you do not have to cut into the tunnel below the gas tank to mount it up. It cane be epoxied in place I prefer to welder.gif them in place. But then since you don't know me you don't know I prefer to weld almost everything in place.

Referenced here is you will need to pull the gas tank, unless you are a mutant, or you have a highly trained population of snakes, that have laser beam welders built into their eyes.

I have thought of an elaborate way of doing it with out pulling the tank, requires borescopes, small tools, and special tips on your spot welder, but it can be done. Not one to say things can't be done, it is way more cost effective to pull the tank. Which requires the front trunk lid to be pulled.

Which then leads down a slippery slope, of jacks stands years of your life dedicated to getting the car back on the road.

To avoid that you could find a 911 SC with stock sway bars and swap out the front suspension minus the struts and brakes, and wheels, and it will look almost stock.

If for some odd reason we are talking front facia, spoiler, aerodynamics. Stock was a piece of metal that finished out the front of the car, gently rolled under the noise. Many popular options beyond that, but that was what is stock.

In both cases it is very easy to go from stock, too wild. One of my 914s has a roll bar supported with roller bearings it is a 1" 3/8" big, and used stuff I sourced off the NASCAR circuit. It has been highly modified see the welder part above, and well had its purpose.

I am also building a rest-mod in honor of my father, which has a very old school period correct sway bar, made by H&H runs on a set of delrin bushings. Two different cars to different goals.
914forme
Picture worth a

Click to view attachment

bbrock
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I like it because it is "the Porsche way." bye1.gif
mlindner
More picsClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
Olympic 914
Tarret bar

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rjames
QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 6 2019, 07:49 AM) *

Not one to say things can't be done, it is way more cost effective to pull the tank. Which requires the front trunk lid to be pulled.

Not true- the gas tank can easily be romoved without taking off the trunk lid.

Sway bar install is easy if you can weld. If you can’t weld, likely there is someone bear by you who could do it for you. You only need to weld in the support triangles that the bar passes through and the a-arm tabs that the drop links connect to (you may already have them as some were delivered that way from the factory.) It will take more time to get the welder ready than it will to do the welding work.

914s should all have sway bars. They handle sloppily without ‘em.
Coondog
PMS set up
Click to view attachment
UROpartsman
QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 6 2019, 06:49 AM) *
If your looking to go stock and you do not have the stuff. post a WTB for front unit roll bar in the classifieds. It will have the bar, bushing, cups to hold said bar and business in-place, maybe the bolts. Two arms, provides fulcrums so the thing works. Two drop links. hopefully bolts and new bushings.

If anyone needs the Stabilizer Guide Plates, we have them in stainless steel but plated to look like the originals. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=342223

We also have the bushings for the front 15/16mm front bar, and the bushings for the front end links.
Mark Henry
I also have a Tarett 22mm hollow bar. Same as above but powder coated and anodized black. I have it set about the same.
The wife's 914 has my old stock bar.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.