Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Setting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shane
Been a few years since I used a timing light, but can’t I just run my 1.8 non vacuum advanced distributor carbureted engine up to 3000 rpm and turn my distributor with my timing light blinking until I have 27°BTDC (or higher?)in the notch? I tried understanding my timing light instructions and got lost. Or what is the most accurate way? Thanks in (advance)
VaccaRabite
Short answer - yes.

The longer answer depends on what kind of timing light you have.
If you have the type of timing light that allows you to set the advance on the light, then you need to time to the TDC mark and not the red line. You just turn the dial on the light to 27BTDC and then shoot for the TDC mark in the line. Almost all the modern timing lights have advancement on the light.

Zach
shane
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 6 2019, 08:14 PM) *

Short answer - yes.

The longer answer depends on what kind of timing light you have.
If you have the type of timing light that allows you to set the advance on the light, then you need to time to the TDC mark and not the red line. You just turn the dial on the light to 27BTDC and then shoot for the TDC mark in the line. Almost all the modern timing lights have advancement on the light.

Zach

Great thanks
ClayPerrine
The 1.8L engine is not timed at 27 degrees at 3k RPM. It is timed at 7.5 degrees at 950 RPM with the vacuum lines disconnected.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
make sure that you set the dwell first as it directly affects the timing, and check the mechanical advance for proper operation

QUOTE(shane @ Oct 5 2019, 04:36 PM) *

Been a few years since I used a timing light, but can’t I just run my 1.8 non vacuum advanced distributor carbureted engine up to 3000 rpm and turn my distributor with my timing light blinking until I have 27°BTDC (or higher?)in the notch? I tried understanding my timing light instructions and got lost. Or what is the most accurate way? Thanks in (advance)

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.