Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Test Rig .. will this work
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Literati914
There's an engine test rig local to me for sale... says "just hook up a battery and gas" - it looks like a vintage VW bell/trans housing with a starter, etc - but will it work on a 914 with a a type 4 ?

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/pts/d/bur...6976335765.html
Literati914
Ooopps.. meant to post this in the Garage.. can someone pls move it?
euro911
The type-4 motor will bolt up to it, but the T4 flywheel is larger in diameter than T1 and T2 motors and will rub on the inside of earlier transmissions and/or bus bell housings. I have some made from VW bus transmission bell housings, but they need to be from '68 or later bus (IIRC).

You can machine that internal lip in the earlier transmissions ones though.Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Literati914
Just so i understand.. are you saying that the 68' and later bell housing WILL fit the type4 engine with our larger flywheel?

So - if it's 68' & later Bus (only?) bell housing it would be good to go?
Superhawk996
I don't think I'd recommend actually running an engine on an engine assembly stand like that rig.

1) These stands are designed for static assembly use
2) They tend to have a high center of gravity relative to their footprint and can be tippy. I've seen plenty of videos of engine stands that fall over when they were being rolled and hit a crack in someones garage.
3) A running engine has a lot of rotational inertia in the flywheel. Ever blip the throttle on an running engine and see the engine rock side to side on it's engine mounts?

I suppose anything is possible but I wouldn't do it.
mepstein
I've seen type 4's and vw engines run on a pallet. Didn't seem to be an issue.
ndfrigi
I did run my engine this way.

Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
Actually, I'd feel better about the pallet. Low to ground. No where to fall when running.
euro911
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Oct 6 2019, 01:53 PM) *
Just so i understand.. are you saying that the 68' and later bell housing WILL fit the type4 engine with our larger flywheel?

So - if it's 68' & later Bus (only?) bell housing it would be good to go?
Bus transmissions have a separate bell housing that unbolts from the trans. You don't have to mount the bell housing on a stand, it can be used by itself on a bench or a pallet, or a even a lower height stand.

Click to view attachment

I like them because they'll support a fully dressed 911 motor for a tear-down or a build-up.

Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
I have a 914 transmission that is cutaway to use to adjust the shift linkage. It can also be used as an engine test adapter. Just bolt it on and hook up the starter.

You are welcome to borrow it anytime.

Clay
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.