Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Had a very close call today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john77
I warmed up my 914 this morning as I was planning to take it out for a blast up Angeles Crest Highway.

After about 10 minutes of leaving it to idle I went back outside and noticed liquid dripping from beneath the car just forward of the passenger side rear wheel.

I bent down to take a look and realized it was a pool of gas blink.gif

Needless to say, I quickly shut the engine off. Kind of nuts to think what might have happened if I'd have missed it...

I took a closer look and it seems to be escaping from the exit to the fuel filter. Fuel pressure's at 3psi and the engine was getting gas, so until I have time to pull the filter I'm guessing the braided hose leading from the filter up to the pressure regulator is split.

The dumbass thing is I only replaced my plastic fuel lines 18 months ago with aluminum lines, but while I was in there all the cloth braided lines looked good and had no leaks so I didn't touch them.

So, anyway, be safe out there... and make sure you replace your 50 year old fuel lines.
914-300Hemi
Glad to hear that you caught the fuel leak before something bad happened.

914Sixer
Good catch, little splash on the heat exchangers could have been very interesting.
Cairo94507
Thank God buddy. Please replace all of those lines that were not previously replaced and use the correct fuel lines clamps too. beerchug.gif
Coondog
Almost lost a 73 2.0 years back. Same thing, pulled out of the garage and noticed a trail of fuel. Good eye my friend.
billh1963
Did you smell the gas before you saw it? The few times I have had a gas leak on an old car I usually smelled the gas first....then my investigation discovered the leak.
sb914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Oct 7 2019, 06:35 AM) *

Did you smell the gas before you saw it? The few times I have had a gas leak on an old car I usually smelled the gas first....then my investigation discovered the leak.

That happened to me as well. I smelled gas from inside the house in the middle of the night. WTF.gif I went out side and there was a HUGE pool of gas under my car.
It’s was around 3 o’clock am and I immediately cleaned it up ! Never went back to bed .
mepstein
It’s happening to 911’s as well. It’s easy to spend $1k on a set of Carrera fuel lines.
JeffBowlsby
Aluminum lines you said? Are those homemade?
sixnotfour
depends o the blk briaded stuff you have,,, be sure to replace with ethanol proof.
burton73
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 7 2019, 06:58 AM) *

It’s happening to 911’s as well. It’s easy to spend $1k on a set of Carrera fuel lines.

Everything was great on my 70,000 mile 86 Carrera till I went into the garage to move my car for a PPI. Then I saw a drip on the driveway pulling it out of the garage. Looked like water but was gas. Needed a new fuel pump and some lines by the gas tank said the wrench

Maybe I got screwed by the mechanic as it started just fine?

Bob B

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.