Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: JLO's V8 Engine Delivered!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
Last night I had Mike from Renegade Hybrids drop off JLO's new engine and tranny combo:

350 SBC with Demon carb
Serpentine system with A/C
Aluminum Heads and Intake

4 speed RH "tall" gear 901

I had a few "goodies" inside the engine installed (roller rockers, ARP everything, etc.) to help the motor spin freely.

The motor should be good for 380HP and just a tad shy of 300 ft/lbs of torque...(trying to make the 901 last as long as possible).

I will start surgery on JLO next week for the radiator. I should have the engine in the car by the end of July.

Here's a few pics...

Bill P. beer.gif
nine14cats
Mike "pushing" laugh.gif
nine14cats
unwrapping the little devil....
nine14cats
Engine shot....
nine14cats
the other side of the motor...
nine14cats
Rear motor shot....
nine14cats
Front shot...
iiibdsiil
Mike's a great guy. People like him make modding your car fun and not a hassle.
Rand
drooley.gif
Nice. Looks like you're gonna have a super smooth conversion. Plug and play baby! I'm envious.
neo914-6
That's a nice heat shield on the engine, and I like all those wheels. laugh.gif
Andyrew
Wow, I like that serpentine belt system!!! Is that new for RH?

How much did that set you back?

Everything looks really nice!!!

Andrew
Root_Werks
Wow! That is pretty cool that you can buy something already together like that. Makes the conversion almost a bolt in and go! driving.gif
nine14cats
Yep...plug and play as good as it gets...

I had the RH team break the cam in, set the timing and wire the whole engine and A/C assembly. I should be able to plug in and start. I will have to adjust the carb for altitude (I'm at 100' and RH in Vegas is ~2200'), but the rest is done.

Now to start the cutting and detailing of the engine bay and trunks of JLO....

I need to start another thread for color options... idea.gif

Bill P.
skline
Yeah, I have to say I am jealous, I pieced mine together from every mismatched part I could find. It would have made it a lot easier with it all together like that. I trust you went with the RH radiator system? It is by far the best one out there hands down.

Looks really nice, the AC would be a nice feature, I will have to look into that for mine down the road.
Mueller
looks nice, even with the "bling-bling" oil pan biggrin.gif laugh.gif

thanks again for the swaybar...you've got free time on the Lathe and Mill....

if you need to borrow my Mig welder, just say they word and we'll meet up for lunch.........
MikeP
I've got the serpentine on my car as well. Though I reccomend having someone like ATI (They did mine) custom make a harmonic damper for you so you can spin your motor up 8k or so.
KenH
Good luck on the 901 - mine went at 300hp.

Ken
MikeP
my 915 didn't hold 400.
nine14cats
Hi Ken,

How's the LSD in the track car? Looks like I will miss all of 2005....

I'm hoping I can keep the 901 together for a while. I have a 930 box here in the storage shed from my 911 Turbo when I swapped in a 5 speed. Maybe I'll build it up later.

Or...If I dump the 914 race car project....I'll have a freshly built WEVO flipped R&P box to use. I'm was going to buy all new gears for a close ratio track box...doesn't mean I can't regear it for the street!

Bill P.
nine14cats
Mike Mueller,

Thanks for the offer of the lathe and engineering...I'll be taking you up on it in the fuure...hopefully all of the pieces are there for you on the bar.

MikeP,

When will yours be running?

hijacked.gif of my own thread....we loaded up the rent-a-racer in my trailer. I'll be by tomorrow to deliver.

Bill P.
aircooledboy
Looks quite familiar. idea.gif Enjoyed my AC very much this morning. aktion035.gif

My 901 w/H has been doing just fine attached to a nearly identical engine. I think you are gonna love it mang.
nine14cats
Hi Scott,

I have the full RH radiator set up. I also have the RH CV axles, the recalibrated tach, the 200lbs RH springs and a full RH header/muffler/pipe system. It all came in the deal when I bought JLO.

I have added the underdash A/C and Heat unit along with the associated receiver dryer.

I'm having fun!

Bill P.
Randal

That's an outstanding setup Bill.

Looking at that motor gives one a totally different perspective, i.e., kind of like F5000 where the motor is the entire back end of the car.

A 4 cylinder bolts into a 914. With that 8, it looks like the 914 is bolted onto it.! rolleyes.gif

That sucker is going to be fast. w00t.gif

mrihop
The Renegade guys rock! However, I usually get suckered in to driving to Vegas and picking up my stuff instead of them driving it out to me.... but I didn't ask them to build my engine either...

I remember when my engine was sitting looking very pretty out of my car. I now have a shiny bling-bling 6 quart oil pan... I only went with the v-belt setup. Now I wished I had sweat more in the first place to fork over a few more $$$ for the AC setup instead of sweating now.

user posted image
mrihop
I can't believe my 914 tranny has held on for 2k miles with the way I push it... Just can't wait 'till it blows and I get a fresh one with gear ratios to match the V8.
Trekkor
Hey Bill,
You said scrapping the race car again... ohmy.gif
Stop it!

Nice project, there clap.gif

Looks nice. idea.gif
I see a V-8 someday, too.

KT
KenH
Bill,

The LSD is doing just fine it has made the car far more "stable" - hard to explain, but things that would have been "oh sh@@" are now just "oops".

You get the feeling the car wants to do what you want it to, instead of having to force it.

Sorry you will not get out this year.

Ken
redshift
smilie_pokal.gif

More money where the money goes..

M
rhodyguy
j-lo is going to have the shake to go with the wide bootay. you're in for some thrills.

k
neo914-6
Bill,

Any chance of running by July 24th? Looks like a two weekend job now... laugh.gif
PatW
QUOTE (nine14cats @ Jun 30 2005, 12:26 PM)
Last night I had Mike from Renegade Hybrids drop off JLO's new engine and tranny combo:

The motor should be good for 380HP and just a tad shy of 300 ft/lbs of torque...(trying to make the 901 last as long as possible).

And what do you think you are going to do with that beast? biggrin.gif

Autocross just might get interesting. w00t.gif

Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.