Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Accuracy of SNAPGAP -- with Pics
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SNAPGAP
This is 1/2 the result of my recent valve adjustment on a 78SC using SNAPGAP. I did not try to put the dial gauge on the left bank exhaust because I did not want to remove the CAT. I ran out of allowable space for the post so will post another with the remaining pics.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

SNAPGAP
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Looks like I ran out of allowable space for pics --- but you get the idea.
VaccaRabite
This is cool.

I'm more impressed that you were able to get a dial indicator in there and oriented for accurate measurements.

Not a product I would use, since I set for zero lash with steel pushrods.
That said, I would definitely consider a product like this if I was still using aluminum rods on a stock or near stock engine.

Thanks for making stuff to support our quirky old cars!
Zach
JOEPROPER
Ok, so it's a digital dial indicator with the bracket? Are there different brackets for different applications? I think someone posted this or a adjustment tool for valve adjustments. SNAPGAS.COM?
I wonder if anyone has used it and could provide feedback.
mepstein
QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ Oct 10 2019, 11:32 AM) *

Ok, so it's a digital dial indicator with the bracket? Are there different brackets for different applications? I think someone posted this or a adjustment tool for valve adjustments. SNAPGAS.COM?
I wonder if anyone has used it and could provide feedback.

Look at the video on his website to see what it really is. The dial indicator is just to show how easily repeatable the process is. Perfect every time.
rhodyguy
To use this method do both valves for one cyl have to be off the cam?
SNAPGAP
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 10 2019, 12:19 PM) *

To use this method do both valves for one cyl have to be off the cam?

You would rotate engine to adjust both the intake and exhaust valves for each cylinder at the same time.

SNAPGAP
914dave
The rotation of the engine is the tricky part in our cars. If you have the inspection window from the passenger compartment it’s easier. I didn’t install one because the 3.2 has crank sensors and you ii don’t need to set the timing. I plan on using an inspection camera and rotating the engine with the nut on the fan. It will still be a challenge I may have to resort to an inspection window.
rfinegan
IM confused on the gap, i read the 2.0 need .006 intake and .008 exhaust and the shims will give you .004=.10mm and .006-.15mm?
Krieger
QUOTE(rfinegan @ Oct 11 2019, 03:29 AM) *

IM confused on the gap, i read the 2.0 need .006 intake and .008 exhaust and the shims will give you .004=.10mm and .006-.15mm?

The pictured set up and specs are for a 6 cylinder 911.
dax1969
My car (911 3.2) goes in for maintenance next week. Mailed my mechanic the link to the website.... curious if he likes it or if he prefers the old way for adjusting the valves.
Just wondering if this is more for a home mechanic or if professionals would switch to this kit.

bye
Dax
mepstein
QUOTE(dax1969 @ Oct 11 2019, 09:47 AM) *

My car (911 3.2) goes in for maintenance next week. Mailed my mechanic the link to the website.... curious if he likes it or if he prefers the old way for adjusting the valves.
Just wondering if this is more for a home mechanic or if professionals would switch to this kit.

bye
Dax

I got a “whatever” from some of our shop guys but they’ve been wrenching on Porsche’s for 10-40 years. For myself or a home mechanic who doesn’t do it day in, day out, I think it’s great.
brant
I'm not sold on this

I think it does provide consistent and accurate measurements

but I think I also am capable of providing consistent and accurate measurements. I do my own valves after every track weekend and have plenty of experience doing these 6x a year for 20 years

so don't need to:
-spend the extra money
-add weight

and most importantly.... has anyone installed these into a 914/6 chassis. I doubt the special torque tool would even fit in the 914 engine bay, especially at the rear suspension mounts that leave about 2 inches of space... the tool looks longer than 2 inches to me.

so my fear is that to even use the snaptool you would have to drop the motor. As I said, I do 914/6 valve adjustments on my car all of the time.... no desire to drop the motor 6+ times a year...

brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.