Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: right eyelid does not open, NOT the relay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brcacti
Hello, my right light does not come up, I checked the relay, switched them and have same problem so the relays are both good. What would be the next thing to try on this? Thanks
lierofox
QUOTE(brcacti @ Oct 9 2019, 02:50 PM) *

Hello, my right light does not come up, I checked the relay, switched them and have same problem so the relays are both good. What would be the next thing to try on this? Thanks

If you manually spin the black plastic wheel at the back of the headlight motor, does the motor rotate freely, and does spinning it cause the headlight to move at all? (It's HIGHLY gear reduced so it will take many spins before any appreciable movement of the headlight is noticed.)
brcacti
Hello and thanks for your help, Yes each morning I leave at 4:30 when dark I turn the black knob counter clockwise and it opens up, doing it manually. Wondering what I should try next if not the relay problem
Craigers17
Currently I am teenerless, and my last one didn't even have pop-up headlamps, so it's been a while since I've even laid eyes on the headlamp motors. That being said, here's a link from Pelican on troubleshooting headlamp issues. Good Luck!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&a...RmQPmIFedhmD7YN
Superhawk996
QUOTE(brcacti @ Oct 9 2019, 08:14 PM) *

Hello and thanks for your help, Yes each morning I leave at 4:30 when dark I turn the black knob counter clockwise and it opens up, doing it manually. Wondering what I should try next if not the relay problem

Wiring diagram and Digital Multi-meter are your friend. Electrical work doesn't lend itself to guessing.

The guide posted above is nice! However, as a former electronics tech, I'd say you're better off in the long run learning to use a DMM and to read a wiring diagram than blindly following directions.

The 1st time is hardest, and with the nice guide above it really would be a great tutorial. From the wiring diagram you should be able to see where the directions are coming from w.r.t troubleshooting the circuit.
lierofox
So it doesn't raise with the switch... what about when you turn the lights off, does it lower on its own?
brcacti
Hello Iierfox and others when I turn the lights off it DOES go down automatically, I manually turn the knob to raise the eyelid
SirAndy
The motors rarely go bad so my money is on the wiring ...
idea.gif
Mikey914
Possible the nut is loose enough that it's slipping. Manually you can slowly add pressure, but the motor spins fast enough that the arm can slip?

A remote possibility, but possible
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 10 2019, 02:01 AM) *

Possible the nut is loose enough that it's slipping. Manually you can slowly add pressure, but the motor spins fast enough that the arm can slip?

I was thinking the same.
Have you tried observing the motor and arm while someone else turns on the lights?
Does anything happen?

Zach
brcacti
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 10 2019, 07:10 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 10 2019, 02:01 AM) *

I was thinking the same.
Have you tried observing the motor and arm while someone else turns on the lights?
Does anything happen?

Zach

Hello guys, I did try to tighten the center nut but it seems tight already, I also took the wires off the contact going to the body 3 inches away from the motor, cleaned them filed, sanded them still no change. I had someone turn the lights on while I observed the moving parts and no movement at all when turning the lights on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.