Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cheap cheap cheap 914 visor set
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Member Vendors
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Since there has been so much discussion about 914 sun visors I thought I would chime in. Foe a while now, we have been selling our factory look set for 275 new complete with clips and pass mirror and drivers map pocket. They will pass the concours inspection.

However we also sold a cheap alternative. Map pocket but no mirror, heat seamed but not a matching grain to the original. Come with left and right clip, but no center clip (914 rubber makes a nice center clip if you need one. But here it is: The price for two is only 99.50. If you have no visors and a driver 914 these are for you. If you have a concours car, or an original nice nice car they are NOT for you. Look at these yourself and decideClick to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Click to view attachment
ValcoOscar
I have to admit I just got a set of these from AA two days ago.

piratenanner.gif

Oscar
dr914@autoatlanta.com
http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-914-Sun...914731044S.html

club group buy until Sunday oct 13th 2019
tygaboy
So these are for "driver" 914s. Can I still buy them, even if my car isn't drivable? laugh.gif
I kid... and I ordered a set.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
at least as you sit in your non running 914 dreaming of the day it will once again be running, you can keep the sun out of your eyes!!! (LOL)
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Oct 10 2019, 12:03 PM) *

So these are for "driver" 914s. Can I still buy them, even if my car isn't drivable? laugh.gif
I kid... and I ordered a set.

VaccaRabite
Dang. Couple months ago I bought a set of rebuilt visors on Ebay that, while new rebuilds, were not as nice and did not come with the mounting hardware that these seem to have. Wish I had waited - but at least my car has visors again.
Zach
dr914@autoatlanta.com
The real stupid thing is that Porsche just before they discontinued them, was selling them for 321 EACH and the vinyl grain was not that of a 914 but rather an 88 911! Porsche is making a big deal of their "vintage" program, but what they come up with are not parts that anyone really needs, the remade parts are not identical to the originals, and they are outrageously priced.
I even volunteered to consult with them about what SHOULD be made as I know what quality parts are already out there, but all I hear from them is a bunch of chatter. They are doing it as a ploy to try to reign in some of us who are disenchanted thinking that they care about us and that that caring will translate into us buying one of their new models!
I have a meeting with them in the next couple of weeks and we will see what will happen
StarBear
Great! Glad to hear it and please do keep us/me informed (via post or PM). A General Manager of the local Porsche "Vintage" program lives down the street. He'd be glad to get some feedback.
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 11 2019, 10:15 AM) *

The real stupid thing is that Porsche just before they discontinued them, was selling them for 321 EACH and the vinyl grain was not that of a 914 but rather an 88 911! Porsche is making a big deal of their "vintage" program, but what they come up with are not parts that anyone really needs, the remade parts are not identical to the originals, and they are outrageously priced.
I even volunteered to consult with them about what SHOULD be made as I know what quality parts are already out there, but all I hear from them is a bunch of chatter. They are doing it as a ploy to try to reign in some of us who are disenchanted thinking that they care about us and that that caring will translate into us buying one of their new models!
I have a meeting with them in the next couple of weeks and we will see what will happen

johnhora
Those are nice George....a driver 914 needs good ones that work.
DickSteinkamp
@dr914@autoatlanta.com

George,
Do these attach to the center support like the originals? That is, there is a little internal clamp in the visor and an external screw to tighten the clamp and secure the visor to the center support?

IPB Image
914werke
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 11 2019, 07:15 AM) *

Porsche is making a big deal of their "vintage" program, but what they come up with are not parts that anyone really needs, the remade parts are not identical to the originals, and they are outrageously priced.

agree.gif I was recently perusing a couple of Porsche Classic's "Originale" volumes & was struck by the parts they were choosing to reproduce. Probably they started with the low hanging fruit (IE stuff they still had molds, dies & tooling for) rather thatn the items that may actually be used or drying up in the channels. screwy.gif
ThePaintedMan
That's because there are plenty of brand-whores who will buy it because it has the "P" word stamped on it. I think most of our vendors here, 914Rubber, Tangerine Racing, PMB, etc do it better and cheaper.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes Dick.

QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Oct 11 2019, 04:22 PM) *

@dr914@autoatlanta.com

George,
Do these attach to the center support like the originals? That is, there is a little internal clamp in the visor and an external screw to tighten the clamp and secure the visor to the center support?

IPB Image

dr914@autoatlanta.com
Dead on. They also find things in some of their remaining warehouses, and then advertise them as new vintage. Case in point left only brick weave door panels, and black 72-74 back pads. I know for a fact that these two items were new old stock they just found, and did not remake, but are advertising them as new additions to their VINTAGE program

And then there is their 914 factory manual set reprinted only from photos of the old one so not crisp and clear, and NO COLORED WIRING DIAGRAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(914werke @ Oct 12 2019, 09:07 AM) *

Porsche is making a big deal of their "vintage" program, but what they come up with are not parts that anyone really needs, the remade parts are not identical to the originals, and they are outrageously priced.

agree.gif I was recently perusing a couple of Porsche Classic's "Originale" volumes & was struck by the parts they were choosing to reproduce. Probably they started with the low hanging fruit (IE stuff they still had molds, dies & tooling for) rather thatn the items that may actually be used or drying up in the channels. screwy.gif

mepstein
QUOTE(914werke @ Oct 12 2019, 12:07 PM) *

I'm not sure if that's the case, just because so many of the parts are nothing like the original. I think Porsche has the same problem that most industries have. They send one set of specs to have made and the manufacturer makes the part the way they want, not what Porsche wants.
913B
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 12 2019, 12:08 PM) *

yes Dick.

QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Oct 11 2019, 04:22 PM) *

@dr914@autoatlanta.com

George,

IPB Image

@dr914 @autoatlanta.com

Just received my set, but there is no opening for the center pivot pin on the visor. It is sealed up. Am I supposed to just poke it through myself ??

confused24.gif confused24.gif
mtndawg
I just ordered a set. I’ve been driving without shades for months.
DickSteinkamp
@dr914

I just received my set also. No holes for the center mount pins. I called and was told that I should punch my own. Is this actually the process? It is tough to figure out exactly where they should go and with my luck I'll be slightly off center and the vinyl will start to tear there.

Any hints?
Mikey914
Close to where the old ones were unless the substructure is different...I guess
jvmarino
So I just received my pair and am pretty happy with the set, especially at the price point. Two items to note. As previously mentioned, the inner holes need to be made by installer, but it is pretty easy to do. The 2nd observation is the outer brackets are installed the wrong way, so they need to be swapped. Even the picture above has them the wrong way. Again, not a big deal, just took me by surprise.

Jim
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(jvmarino @ Oct 16 2019, 06:09 PM) *

So I just received my pair and am pretty happy with the set, especially at the price point. Two items to note. As previously mentioned, the inner holes need to be made by installer, but it is pretty easy to do. The 2nd observation is the outer brackets are installed the wrong way, so they need to be swapped. Even the picture above has them the wrong way. Again, not a big deal, just took me by surprise.

Jim

@jvmarino

How did you find the right spot to make the hole for the center support? How did you make the hole?

Thanks
brcacti
They look very cool, I like them
jvmarino
QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Oct 16 2019, 09:40 PM) *

QUOTE(jvmarino @ Oct 16 2019, 06:09 PM) *

Jim

@jvmarino

How did you find the right spot to make the hole for the center support? How did you make the hole?

Thanks

It is just a basic friction fit in a clip tensioned by the exterior screw, so I just cut a small opening with a sharp razor blade and then pushed the metal post into the clip inside the visor. Hole location is pretty much the same as the post used for the outer brackets.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.