Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Non 914 Question ....still med engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oldschool
I have notice that if I don't drive the boxster for a few weeks it's hard to turn over?
..Need to put on the charger,
any one notice this. biggrin.gif
Chi-town
I use Odyssey batteries in my newer Porsches as they have a tendency to draw even after the 5 day system reduction shut down.

If it's not driven for longer I toss on a quality battery tender
oldschool
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Oct 12 2019, 08:40 PM) *

I use Odyssey batteries in my newer Porsches as they have a tendency to draw even after the 5 day system reduction shut down.

If it's not driven for longer I toss on a quality battery tender

So they drain....ok,thanks
daytona
How old is the battery?
New batteries don't last reliably more than 3.5 to 4 years. Even less in hot weather states where I live.
I was having the same problem with my 07 Cayman S. Put a new battery and the issue is gone.
Good luck.
Bill.
EdwardBlume
Not just Boxsters.

Systems run while the car is off. Mainly the alarm. My old 993 would kick on fans if things got too hot, so there was temp diagnostics going.

Batteries cut out even with daily driving after 3 years like clockwork.

A good tender is a good idea. Driving it daily is better. biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
I only have experience with 996/7 but it's common issues. The battery drain from alarm, etc., plus the starter wire (at the engine) corrode at the funky connectors causing a voltage drop and the starter is weak at best.
JOEPROPER
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 13 2019, 06:01 PM) *

I only have experience with 996/7 but it's common issues. The battery drain from alarm, etc., plus the starter wire (at the engine) corrode at the funky connectors causing a voltage drop and the starter is weak at best.

Hmm... this is good to know. I have a similar problem with my 996. I'll have to check it out. Thanks. flag.gif
ndfrigi
Hi Jaime, yes Battery Tender is your solution for a car if not being driven more than 3 days.
My 986 has around 3 yrs old Bosch brand. After I was rear ended, the car was not driven for a month and the battery died. Did the jumper way to make it run. For a few days I keep using jumper cable to be able to drive the car and it will start again as long I start it again after an hour or hours but not overnight. So I was already planning of buying a new bosch battery and after searching where to buy, I ended up going to costco and pick up the Battery tender and that is around February. After few months of keeping the battery tender every time it is parked and last June for a 2 weeks vacation the battery tender is hooked. After that 2 weeks vacation, I no longer use the battery tender as long I drive the car no longer than 2 days (atleast start the car for a few minutes).
Meaning, my 3 yr old Bosch battery got totally drained for a month not being driven. And yes like others mentioned, 986 can drain the battery from alarm especially newer cars has a lot of electrical parts that uses the battery. Ex, alarm, auto defroster, etc.

Click to view attachment
jmitro
another helpful tidbit...don't leave the key in the ignition even if in position 1 (I used to do this when I parked the car in the garage). it drains the battery even quicker. I did this in my 996 a few times until I learned. Key must come out all the way
Mark Henry
QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ Oct 13 2019, 07:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 13 2019, 06:01 PM) *

Hmm... this is good to know. I have a similar problem with my 996. I'll have to check it out. Thanks. flag.gif

Buy a new cable from porsche, PITA job, best to remove the AC pump (don't undo the lines) and alternator.
When you're done the job cut the old cable sheath back a bit at the starter connector, you should be able to see the corrosion.
mlindner
I had the same problem with my 98 993, could not make it three week with out a starting (battery) problem even when replaced with new Porsche battery. My car was always in my heated garage and was never locked, later I was told that if it was locked every thing is shut off except alarm making the battery life last longer. FYI I now have a 2007 Cayman S and have not had the same issues, and again unlocked while be stored. Best, Mark
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yup these days modern cars and their security and memory systems need a trickle charger attached when not in use for more than a week. The battery tender is an ideal one as it does not overcharge the battery. If you are not driving any older car (say 90s or older) for more than two months, I would actually remove the battery.
I have had a trickle charger on my Ford GT now since it was new, and the 2006 battery is still good!
oldschool
QUOTE(daytona @ Oct 13 2019, 05:02 AM) *

How old is the battery?
New batteries don't last reliably more than 3.5 to 4 years. Even less in hot weather states where I live.
I was having the same problem with my 07 Cayman S. Put a new battery and the issue is gone.
Good luck.
Bill. 1 year old

oldschool
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Oct 13 2019, 05:59 PM) *

Hi Jaime, yes Battery Tender is your solution for a car if not being driven more than 3 days.
My 986 has around 3 yrs old Bosch brand. After I was rear ended, the car was not driven for a month and the battery died. Did the jumper way to make it run. For a few days I keep using jumper cable to be able to drive the car and it will start again as long I start it again after an hour or hours but not overnight. So I was already planning of buying a new bosch battery and after searching where to buy, I ended up going to costco and pick up the Battery tender and that is around February. After few months of keeping the battery tender every time it is parked and last June for a 2 weeks vacation the battery tender is hooked. After that 2 weeks vacation, I no longer use the battery tender as long I drive the car no longer than 2 days (atleast start the car for a few minutes).
Meaning, my 3 yr old Bosch battery got totally drained for a month not being driven. And yes like others mentioned, 986 can drain the battery from alarm especially newer cars has a lot of electrical parts that uses the battery. Ex, alarm, auto defroster, etc.

Click to view attachment

yup...sound like it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.