Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door Buzzer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CoronaMike
Hi all,

Isn't the buzzer only supposed to buzz when the key is in?

Mine goes off whenever the doors are open - key or no key.

The PO had it disconnected - I can understand that - but it's so delightfully annoying/70s-ish that I'd like to keep it - but ...maybe only when the key is in.

Any ideas as to why it's doing this? smile.gif

Thanks!!

Mike
Coondog
Mine only works with the key in the ignition. I get so many comments when people hear it I decided not to disconnect it. I agree it is pretty 70s sounding.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
look and see that when you remove the key you have pulled up the tumbler so that it is even with the lock cylinder

QUOTE(CoronaMike @ Oct 14 2019, 12:45 PM) *

Hi all,

The PO had it disconnected - I can understand that - but it's so delightfully annoying/70s-ish that I'd like to keep it - but ...maybe only when the key is in.

Thanks!!

Mike

CoronaMike
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 14 2019, 04:32 PM) *

look and see that when you remove the key you have pulled up the tumbler so that it is even with the lock cylinder

Hey doc. I'm not really sure what I'm looking for here - but here's a picture - can you tell?

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
That's locked right, if it wasn't the center would be inset, sometimes it sticks in. Put your key in and turn it to on and you'll see the center move inward.
VaccaRabite
I had no idea these cars HAD a door buzzer.

Zach
dr914@autoatlanta.com
What year is your car Mike?

Hi all,

Thanks!!

Mike

TonyA
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 15 2019, 10:25 AM) *

I had no idea these cars HAD a door buzzer.

Zach

I don't know shit from Shiola ( an old term I used to hear) but the door buzzer i did know about, only because I had a 73 back in 76. Some day I may try and get that working as well. Glad to see some comments about it today.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
We are about to reinstall this 73 ignition buzzer on this olympic blue 50 thousand mile 914 goes on the back of the fuse block

Click to view attachment
toolguy
Shinola is a defunct American brand of shoe polish. From the late 1800's.
It was popular during the first half of the 20th century and entered the American lexicon in the phrase, "You don't know shit from Shinola," meaning to be ignorant.
914_teener

Hi all,

Thanks!!

Mike

Check to make sure your door light switches are not worn out. It is a switched ground circuit.

BTW....they are sort of a pain to remove.. BTDT.
914_teener
QUOTE(toolguy @ Oct 15 2019, 09:37 AM) *

Shinola is a defunct American brand of shoe polish. From the late 1800's.
It was popular during the first half of the 20th century and entered the American lexicon in the phrase, "You don't know shit from Shinola," meaning to be ignorant.

I love when I learn something. Hard to tell on your boots what is "shiza" and what is Shinola sometimes.

CoronaMike
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 15 2019, 10:24 AM) *

What year is your car Mike?

@dr914 @autoatlanta.com

It's a 1974 1.8.

The door switches work great - it's a little sticky now and then - but for the most part - the buzzer ALWAYS goes off when either the driver or passenger door is open.

Click to view attachment
TonyA
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 15 2019, 11:59 AM) *

We are about to reinstall this 73 ignition buzzer on this olympic blue 50 thousand mile 914 goes on the back of the fuse block

Click to view attachment

Thanks tor the history lesson, I have been butchering that name for a long time.
FL000
My 73 did the same thing. To my knowledge everything was working properly (ignition switch, door switches, etc). I finally pulled my relay/buzzer since it was really annoying.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.